X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bettylou
    replied
    Hi,I am from Alberta.Just moved from B.C.Have had MS for 15 years.Have been doing really good with it.Had a bad attack a month ago and now have to decide what to go on.Was wondering if anyone has any input on it.Leaning towards Avonex.The MS doctor said to pick one but that was about it,so if anyone has any information and thoughts on the subject i would love to read about it!

Leave a comment:

• Mamabug
    replied
    A clarification

Originally posted by prairiegirl View Post
    . . . ALl I can say is THANK GOD we have coverage in Canada. I can't imagine forking out $1400 for the one drug alone per month, never mind all the others I have to take.

Good luck!

*and sorry if this is OT for this thread.

Most of us don't fork out anywhere near $1400 a month for drugs, because we have health insurance. I pay $30 per month, after my deductible is covered.

I've experienced both systems, and, IMO, they are both broken. Neither the U.S. or the Canadian health care system are without their flaws.

~ Faith
    Canadian citizen; U.S. resident

Leave a comment:

• blowdryer
    replied
    does anyone now about the ms clinic in vancuver bc

Originally posted by littlebelle View Post
    I am sure there are many out there. I have met a few. So Where in Canada are you from? If you do not want to say that is fine. Just pop in and say Hello.

I think since our insurance issues and medical supplies issues are different from our US friends we should have a place to discuss how our system works. What trials we have going etc.

Looking forward to meeting you all

I live in Barrie Ontario 100 KM from Toronto.

Leave a comment:

• Leannedale3
    replied
    I switched from Rebif to Copaxone because of the side effects. I was feeling awful-bad, bad headaches, (which I now know are an entirely different condition, independant of my MS) major fatigue and muscle aches. I was having a hard time getting out of bed.

I am quite sensitive to drugs of any kind, so after trying to titer up to the proper dose I only got to half of that and then had to back down to to a quarter dose. I started in April and ended up switching mid July.

Some people get through the tough part and do just fine. I was not one of them. The copaxone is a dialy shot, but no side effects and so I am feeling much better.

I hope you do well on Rebif. Good luck!
    Thanks so much for your reply! I have been having a hard time with the muscle aches and tiredness as well but today (only 3rd injection) felt better...I'm hoping to be able to get up to the full dose but time will tell for sure. Glad the Copaxone is working well for you :-)

Leave a comment:

• prairiegirl
    replied
    I switched from Rebif to Copaxone because of the side effects. I was feeling awful-bad, bad headaches, (which I now know are an entirely different condition, independant of my MS) major fatigue and muscle aches. I was having a hard time getting out of bed.

I am quite sensitive to drugs of any kind, so after trying to titer up to the proper dose I only got to half of that and then had to back down to to a quarter dose. I started in April and ended up switching mid July.

Some people get through the tough part and do just fine. I was not one of them. The copaxone is a dialy shot, but no side effects and so I am feeling much better.

I hope you do well on Rebif. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Leannedale3
    replied
    Hi Neighbour! Sorry to have to share this disease with you, but I am glad you found the boards. I am in the lower mainland. I started out on Rebif, but switched to Copaxone.

Prairiegirl
    Hi there, I'm sorry but I'm still trying to figure out this board, lol If you don't mind me asking, why did you switch to Copaxone? Did you not like the Rebif? Please share as I am just getting started and tbh it was rough the first couple of times re: side effects :-( Thank goodness I was better today, well, still tired but not as sore in my muscles. Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance, Leanne

Leave a comment:

• Leannedale3
    replied
    Originally posted by mtstan View Post
    Hello from me too.

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope everything went ok yesterday with your first injection without a nurse. I am still waiting to get started on Copaxone. My Dr. has filled out all the forms to make sure that Pharma Care will pay their part. Then I have to talk to Shared Solutions to see what they can offer me in the way of financial help as we don't have an extended medical plan.

Oh I love the island. My husband and I love it over there and are hoping to move there some day. My best friend was living in Nanaimo for a while but she and her hubby decided to take their family back to the UK.

Anyway, nice to meet you
    I was really scared to inject by myself but did just fine although, I bled a little more than with the nurse? Not sure why but I have to do another one tonight so I'll see how that goes. I am having some trouble with the side effects though :-( My muscles are so sore especially when I wake up. Good luck with your copaxone, I've heard that the side effects can be less than Rebif, I hope so :-) I will be interested to hear how things go for you...keep me posted? Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Leave a comment:

• prairiegirl
    replied
    [QUOTE=mtstan;1094959]Hello from me too.
    Then I have to talk to Shared Solutions to see what they can offer me in the way of financial help as we don't have an extended medical plan.QUOTE]

One thing I can tell you is if you call Pharmacare, you can get an option to paying your monthly drug costs till you hit your deductable. With the regular plan, you pay for your drugs until you hit their max and then they pay till the end of the year.

The other option you can get if you do not have extended medical (like me!) is to pay a monthly amount (based on your income) and you get coverage for the full cost of covered drugs (like our DMDs).

The fiscal year runs from Jan-Dec. and you have to pay a smaller deductable initially each year. Being on Copaxone means that you would pay say Jan and about 1/2 of feb's Copaxone cost, but after that you would have paid of the deductable for the year. It's not perfect, but it's far better to pay the monthly way than the regular way.

OF course SS and Pharmacare can explain it better and in more detail than I can, but I thought I would mention it because it shocks me how many British Columbians have no idea that this is an option for their drug costs.

They send a form yearly in Nov. to renew your commitment to this form of coverage, but it's tick a couple boxes and sign and you're all set.

ALl I can say is THANK GOD we have coverage in Canada. I can't imagine forking out $1400 for the one drug alone per month, never mind all the others I have to take.

Good luck!

*and sorry if this is OT for this thread.

Leave a comment:

• mtstan
    replied
    Welcome

Hello from me too.

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope everything went ok yesterday with your first injection without a nurse. I am still waiting to get started on Copaxone. My Dr. has filled out all the forms to make sure that Pharma Care will pay their part. Then I have to talk to Shared Solutions to see what they can offer me in the way of financial help as we don't have an extended medical plan.

Oh I love the island. My husband and I love it over there and are hoping to move there some day. My best friend was living in Nanaimo for a while but she and her hubby decided to take their family back to the UK.

Anyway, nice to meet you

Leave a comment:

• prairiegirl
    replied
    Hi Neighbour! Sorry to have to share this disease with you, but I am glad you found the boards. I am in the lower mainland. I started out on Rebif, but switched to Copaxone.

Prairiegirl

Leave a comment:

• Leannedale3
    replied
    Originally posted by mtstan View Post
    Hi,
    I am a new member and so happy to have found this board. I live nr. Vancouver BC. 45 yrs old, married with 3 kids.
    I was diagnosed with Relapsing/Remitting MS just this May after a couple of years of weird symptoms.

The MRI showed lesions on my brain and on the upper spinal cord. I also have had a couple of episodes of Optic Neuritis. My worst symptom right now (and for the past year) is numbness in my legs and feet.

I have been seen by a wonderful Dr. at the MS Clinic at UBC. I have to attend an Education session at the clinic this week to learn all about the meds. Apparently they will also discuss how to get help with the costs.

Thanks for letting me chime in. Look forward to getting to know my fellow Canadians.

Hi there, this is my very first post on this board, and I am happy I've found this site. I live on the island and was *formally*diagnosed in August of this year but had another Mri/tests scheduled for September. I have just started on Rebif, in fact, tonight is the first time I will inject all be myself, without my MS nurse there to help (yikes) I am hoping this site will help me with some answers to my questions (of course I have many) lol It is nice to know that there are people close by to give support and info re: this disease. Have a nice night, Leanne

Leave a comment:

• Deborah Ann
    replied
    Hello All

Hello just a hi to all you fellow Canadians.Well i went to my neuro last thursday.Got good news and bad news.The good news i am getting some feeling back in my right leg with the rebif needles,Bad news 2 new lesions.Oh well it happens.Just a little disappointed that i am getting more lesions.I am trying to take one day at a time now.I am so down now about that i just feel like crying now.Why would "god" give this disease to anyone?I have been so upset about it i have had a small spell with it.Can anyone give me pointers to get over this hump?

Leave a comment:

• weeble
    replied
    Originally posted by BentBarbie View Post
    My 2nd post...I just found out on the 10th that it 'appears' I have MS. I went to see my family dr because my blood pressure was high. He asked if I had spoken to my nuerologist yet and when I indicated I had not he let me know that he had just gotten my MRI results from Oct. 3rd back that morning. My reply was that I am sure you did not find anything because I do not think we will ever know what is wrong with me (after years of being made to feel like it was all in my head and my nuerologist assuring me in April it was not MS).

I now wonder if not knowing may have been better than knowing. I think I am in shock, disbelief, denial or all of the above. The only good thing is I am not crazy, nuts or a hyperchrondriac and this explains a LOT of 'stuff' but...I have so many questions and I will probably forget them before I see the neurologist with my CRS being what it is .
    Welcome. Sorry you have to be here. MS is generally all in your head, but I know that's not what you were getting at.

Write down all your questions and do some homework online and in this forum before you see your Neuro. I think it works out best when you walk into your appt with some information/ knowledge.

A new diagnosis is a lot to absorb. Take your time and ask lots of questions. There's a lot of information and experience here.

Leave a comment:

• BentBarbie
    replied
    My 2nd post...I just found out on the 10th that it 'appears' I have MS. I went to see my family dr because my blood pressure was high. He asked if I had spoken to my nuerologist yet and when I indicated I had not he let me know that he had just gotten my MRI results from Oct. 3rd back that morning. My reply was that I am sure you did not find anything because I do not think we will ever know what is wrong with me (after years of being made to feel like it was all in my head and my nuerologist assuring me in April it was not MS).

I now wonder if not knowing may have been better than knowing. I think I am in shock, disbelief, denial or all of the above. The only good thing is I am not crazy, nuts or a hyperchrondriac and this explains a LOT of 'stuff' but...I have so many questions and I will probably forget them before I see the neurologist with my CRS being what it is .

Leave a comment:

• Bethany11
    replied
    hello to you

hello fellow Canadians.....I have been away from this site for some time now and finally decided it was time to touch base again - always great to know there are others who understand the difficulties we go thru with MS. good days/bad days always different each day. Look forward to catching up on my reading and chatting with everyone!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X