I have forgotten all about this site until just now

& it feels good to be here again

Richard
    Vancouver B.C.

Leave a comment:

• MTBgal63
    replied
    Greetings gals...

I am going to join the Canadian contingent and well, it appears a little late, but glad to have found this thread. I am 44, dx in Mach of this year with PP, and it's going as well as expected. I still like to ride my bie, and hike, if anyone dare join me as it has to be early morning, my best time of day. Would like to keep in touch with locals too and ask if anyone is on meds for PP - so far, I have been told (and did tons of reasearch) that states that have no postive impact, so I am seeing a naturopath, changing diet, working out, but losing touch with my activity partners as they leave me behind - I understand why but am helpless to change my diminishing energy level and schedule. Any thoughts how to stay social?

Leave a comment:

• Stewy67
    replied
    Definately we are pretty priveledged for our healthcare - I must of been to 10 different docs before I got dx. I couldn't imagine having to pay to visit them to hear - 'well I just don't know'

I am also very grateful for my benefits - I can handle the dispensing fee as it is usually much cheaper than the drugs.

Leave a comment:

• mschi
    replied
    Western greetings!

Hi all, nice to see a little place for us, we definately have a different mind about us due to our healthcare.

When I think about this after watching that movie "Sicko" I plant my feet firmly on the ground in this country.

Calgary
    34 y/o
    dx in May 2008

Leave a comment:

• Stewy67
    replied
    Hey Weeble, thanks I have an appt in a couple of weeks so I will chat with him about that drug.
    I am so glad I found this site - people's stories are mine but I ruled out MS because I was told that wasn't it..but nothing else fit.

Leave a comment:

• weeble
    replied
    Welcome Stewy

Glad you checked in. Nice to see another Canuck join. I'm sorry for the reason you're here though.

I don't know how much MS research you've done, but if you look up the MS Society of Canada and look under therapies, you will see that a promising therapy for someone with a CIS (clinically isolated symptom) is minoclycline. This is a mild antibiotic used to treat acne. It is currently under 1 or 2 studies, but previous reports claim that taking it has delayed the DX of definite MS by up to 10 years! That means 10 years of very little progression. Not a cure, but who knows what the medical future holds.

I'm not your Doc and I don't know your whole history. If you are interested, print off all the info you can and inform your GP. He can prescribe it to you. A Neuro or MS DX are not necessary. Plus it's cheap like borscht!

Blessings,

Leave a comment:

• Stewy67
    replied
    Thanks

Hey all just new to the site. I live in Oshawa - yah by choice too. LOL
    I haven't been 'DX' with MS, right now they are calling it 'Clinically Isolated MS'. About 4 years ago I started to studder then a few months after that began, I lied in bed one night and felt my right leg and mid section of my stomach go numb. I was told at my first neurologist appt that it was MS - and then I had an EP and MRI's done - came back neg, so she changed her mind.

After seeing serveral different doctors and my family doctor not seeming to care I went to see a Neurologist in Oshawa, he DX it as Isolated MS - I am to afraid to tell them that my hands are feeling funny now cause I know they will think I am making it up.
    thanks for this site and the stories it really does help.
    Thanks for listening.

Leave a comment:

• Mamabug
    replied

Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed about the United States. J. Bartlett Brebner

~ Faith

Leave a comment:

• weeble
    replied
    Welcome mtstan

We're piling up here in the west! Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. Glad to see you on the boards and keep us posted on how your med decision goes.

Sounds like you've got a lot of info and support coming your way via the MS clinic.

Blessings,

Leave a comment:

• mtstan
    replied
    New here in British Columbia

Hi,
    I am a new member and so happy to have found this board. I live nr. Vancouver BC. 45 yrs old, married with 3 kids.
    I was diagnosed with Relapsing/Remitting MS just this May after a couple of years of weird symptoms.

The MRI showed lesions on my brain and on the upper spinal cord. I also have had a couple of episodes of Optic Neuritis. My worst symptom right now (and for the past year) is numbness in my legs and feet.

I have been seen by a wonderful Dr. at the MS Clinic at UBC. I have to attend an Education session at the clinic this week to learn all about the meds. Apparently they will also discuss how to get help with the costs.

Thanks for letting me chime in. Look forward to getting to know my fellow Canadians.

Leave a comment:

• weeble
    replied
    Originally posted by Deborah Ann View Post
    Hello all!!!! Just a little humour for all you fellow canadians.The other day i was having a rough day due to my needles.I was laying in bed and the boyfriend comes up and says to me your"micro soft" acting up.We have this running joke about my ms is called microsoft.So i said if i am pc you are a mac as in the commercial.

I am wondering if any of you fellow canadians go to the clinic?I would like to go once to see what it is like.Maybe there is a support group i can go to as ours is a small one.I am willing to drive to go to one.Make that ,the boyfriend drive as i am not allowed to drive due to optic neuritis.Anyone have any suggestions?
    Welcome Deborah Ann,
    I love the microsoft story. I own a mac and my DH has a PC, but it looks like someone messed up because I have all the problems... he better not get Vista I need his support.

Leave a comment:

• brian01
    replied
    Da Clinic eh.....

Well, there are many different clinics around that you could look into.

I go to one at McMaster University in Hamilton Ontario because it is the most convenient.

I am sure there is one near you. Also you may want to look into support groups that could be an asset to you. I am going to be on the board of the regional MS Society this fall and am looking forward to that.

If I can offer advice it is to get involved and learn as much as you can. In the end, we all benefit!

Take Care

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Deborah Ann
    replied
    Just a little humour

Hello all!!!! Just a little humour for all you fellow canadians.The other day i was having a rough day due to my needles.I was laying in bed and the boyfriend comes up and says to me your"micro soft" acting up.We have this running joke about my ms is called microsoft.So i said if i am pc you are a mac as in the commercial.

I am wondering if any of you fellow canadians go to the clinic?I would like to go once to see what it is like.Maybe there is a support group i can go to as ours is a small one.I am willing to drive to go to one.Make that ,the boyfriend drive as i am not allowed to drive due to optic neuritis.Anyone have any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• pepsigirl
    replied
    Hi

I grew up in Dartmouth, near Dartmouth High School. I now live in Nunavut and spend my summers in Winnipeg.

J

Leave a comment:

• dmplaura
    replied
    Originally posted by cadiman1 View Post
    Laura,

Was in Belleville in May for the first time in many many years. My it has grown! North Front is like a big city, restaurants, hotels malls..... Did not get to the East-End so I not sure what is happening in that neck of the woods. I think if its like the rest of the town, it is likely over-developed and consumed by stores & stuff. I think you have chosen a much more serene and pleasant environment and you will live a long and happy life there. Now whe'rd tha durn fiddle-head soup go?????
    I don't know how I missed your post before!

Fiddle head soup? Yummy, eh?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X