• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oggel
    replied
    Hi All, I'm new here too!

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site as well as some of you. I have recently been diagnosed with "possible MS." I think I would like to get a second opinion as I now realize that the sooner it is diagnosed, the faster I can start preventative measures.

I live in York Region, just north east of Toronto. The neurologist I am currently seeing is from here and she did not do a full assessment with me.

After having two MRI's (one of the spine and one of the brain) it is conclusive that I have lesions on my spine , 2 of them and 7 on my brain. The doctor asked me if MS ran in my family and I only know my mother's side of the family, so, that couldn't be answered / assessed accurately. Other than that, she did not ask too much about my past medical history. So, I say to myself as I leave her office in shock, "how can this be?" I do not understand how she said in her expert opinion, she feels I do have MS but she is not able to make a clinical diagnoses at this time.

After reading up on the topic, I realize I had not been tested for lupus, lyme disease or any of the other diseases where symptoms are similar to those of MS.

Oh, I forgot, I was diagnosed 4 years ago with fibromyaliga from a rheumatologist, who by the way did not do any further testing for MS or any of the above mentioned diseases. Go figure eh!

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good neurologist? I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions at this point. I am going to have to be my own advocate in this case...

Thanks everyone,
    Oggel

Leave a comment:

• brian01
    replied
    Belleville Stuff

Laura,

Was in Belleville in May for the first time in many many years. My it has grown! North Front is like a big city, restaurants, hotels malls..... Did not get to the East-End so I not sure what is happening in that neck of the woods. I think if its like the rest of the town, it is likely over-developed and consumed by stores & stuff. I think you have chosen a much more serene and pleasant environment and you will live a long and happy life there. Now whe'rd tha durn fiddle-head soup go?????

Leave a comment:

• dmplaura
    replied
    Welcome Charlee

Dartmouth is not too far from where I am in NB

Leave a comment:

• charleexx
    replied
    charleexx here from Dartmouth, NS. I'm new so I'll just read for now and try to catch on to what's what first. Hi to all.

Leave a comment:

• dmplaura
    replied
    Oh yeah Belleville

I lived in the East end... down at the end of Victoria Ave and Haig Road.

Wow, I had to consult a map for those details. It's been a long time. I was not impressed when they extended Haig Road north and built a new sub division. They bulldozed a huge area that I used to play in as a child.

Leave a comment:

• dmplaura
    replied
    Laura Secord eh?

Haha Cadi. Coburg. Wow the memories... used to pass by there on the 401 on the way to other locations.

I used to travel to Peterborough quite a lot actually. Be it seeing concerts there, shopping...

Kingston is actually my favorite city I have visited in Ontario. If I ever returned, I would definitely try to live there. Beautiful place! I was thrilled to see that Halifax Nova Scotia is almost identical to Kingston. Just more water around NS .

My fondest memories however are definitely while I was young (outside of my Ajax adventures) traveling north of Belleville to North Bay and Algonquin Park. Then our destination being Temagami. We rented a cabin there on the lake. Mother would bring her cassette player with a bunch of batteries, and listen to Randy Travis, and we'd go fishing daily.

Sadly I could not eat the fish, but I was quite a fisherwoman. I always beat the men on most, biggest, etc. We had fun competitions .

Leave a comment:

• brian01
    replied
    Coburg Eh?

Well having lived in Belleville for a few years I do know where Coburg is. In fact I think it is a lovely place and a small gem on Lake Ontario that is still unspoiled by mega-growth.

I guess you are lucky to have the luxury of living in such a picturesc place. I recently moved to Elmira to get away from the city and the smog and the noise. Its great, I can actually hear birds chirping...before the dog gets them....I guess she hears them too.

Summers along the lake are exhilirating, though I am sure in the winter it can be a bit monotonous. With Global warming that could all change. You may gazing-out at Lake Ontario and admiring the sail-boats in Frebruary one day!

Take Care

Brian

Leave a comment:

• brian01
    replied
    DMP Eh????

So its Laura and not Dumpy Madam...Phew....

Have a wonderful day out there in the East!!!!

Brian

Leave a comment:

• brian01
    replied
    Laura May

Originally posted by dmplaura View Post
    Oh yeah, my name is Laura. DMP is my online gaming handle. dmplaura is also what I use on Youtube.

Leave a comment:

• brian01
    replied
    Sushine

Laura,

Ms Belleville eh? At least you beat out the Lake Trout for the title! (Just kidding)

I used to live just off of North Front. Used to love going down by the water (in the summer) and just sit and watch. I take it you are on the east coast now.....Never been, but love sea-food and keep thinking I must go for crab and lobster..... (it must be better than the Red Lobster chain here in Ontario, or as I call it, Dead Lobster).

Just so you know, you are a definite ray of sunshine and I wish to reafirm that your writing is both uplifting and inspiring. We all need more contacts like you in our lives!

Smiles,

Brian

Leave a comment:

• dmplaura
    replied
    Oh yeah, my name is Laura. DMP is my online gaming handle. dmplaura is also what I use on Youtube.

Leave a comment:

• dmplaura
    replied
    Hugs Cadi!

I was the one from Belleville.. but I moved in 1996 to the east. I lived there for 14 years .

I try to keep positive! It's the only thing that I can do in my situation. Why be a miserable muck when I can be a little glowing ray of sunshine?

Leave a comment:

• brian01
    replied
    DMPLAURA

Laura,

Well I am going to guess Laura unless its DM. Donnay May? Debbie Marcie? Dumpy Madam? Oh well.....

I am glad that you enjoyed reading my e-mail. I love to laugh and hence try to make othes smile or even laugh sometimes....(usually if I trip over nothing, always good for a chuckle or two)

You have a refreshing and positive outlook which is so encouraging. I really do enjoy reading your messages and I must say that they are always uplifting. I like feeling uplifted, when I take-out the trash, I view that as uplifting. Or is that lifting-up? Hmmmmm....I think I've been had.

You have a wonderful weekend and keep smiling!!!!

Leave a comment:

• brian01
    replied
    Headaches?

Well I take it yours are not caused from getting one accross the back of the head when you accidentally notice a person of the opposite sex with a hot bod.....hmmmmm may explain the cold responses at home too.....

This may sound quirkie but my neuro's nurse told me to take coated aspiring twice a day. This has relieved the headaches and also reduces the fatigue. This seems to work for me, but your body will respond in its own way so who knows for sure.

I bought Shopper's Drug-Mart Generic brand coated A.S.A. and it does seem to have some positive results.

Take Care and Good Luck!!!!

Brian

Leave a comment:

• brian01
    replied
    More Canadians Eh?

This is great!

Someone here from Belleville, I lived there.

Another from Hamilton. I spent a week there one night!

Someone else who thinks that someday Toronto will have an NHL team, oops...that's me...

I am so pleased to meet so many fellow Canadians. I guess the isolation I felt for months is now passing as I realize I am not alone.

Our affliction may be the same as our southern cousins, but how we manage it can be very different. So it is good for us to be able to share, Canadian style (no, not over beer and bacon sandwiches....though that does sound good...)

Iteresting to read about the support group experience in Barrie. I attended one in January in Kitchener and it was more depressing than uplifting. In fact those who were there were severely afflicted by MS and it scared me. I accept that we are each affected differently but I am trying to be better and I feared the support group would take me the other way. There highlight was also excersise class. I get that when my wife hands me the garbage. They also had a masseuse once a month. I thought, geez if she's not topless then what's the point! Apparently my wife did not see the humour in that. I discovered other pain, I do not believe it was MS related!

So besides, moose, polar-bear dips and saying eh? alot, we seem to have much in common. So its MS, we shall learn to accept it and live with it, the Canadian way! (we don't complain)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X