X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mossmanor
    replied
    [QUOTE=misshayleesmom;800258]I don't think our friends from the U.S understand how difficult it is to find a good doctor here.

At least in the states if you don't like the care you're receiving you switch docs.. here if your doc is not doing his/her job you're screwed and they know it.
    QUOTE]

I have to disagree with your statements regarding picking a doctor.
    I lived in the US for almost 12 years. You had to find a Dr. that was covered under your health insurance, often on the opposite side of the city (Atlanta). Then, as companies changed insurance providers, you had to find a new Dr. My first neuro was an idiot. He sent me to a "special" MRI, supposedly the only one with software to dx MS. It was not covered by my insurance, but I took him for his word that I needed to have the test done on this machine, not on others closer to home, which would have been covered. I later found out that he owned the machine. Cost me $1500.
    He dx'ed that it was definetly NOT MS, but offered no other explanation.
    The next time I had an attack I went to a different Neuro who ordered a new MRI and from that did dx MS. I brought the films from the first MRI, and he showed me the lesions that easily showed that I had MS.
    So I started on Avonex almost 2 years after I should have.

Oh, and the hassles with insurers cause enough stress to trigger attacks. The routinely deny EVERY claim and make you fight to get paid.

I may just be lucky, but I have had no problem finding great doctors since I returned to Canada.

Had I stayed in the US I'd have been screwed. I ended up on a disability pension, so I would have had no health coverage. Here in Canada, my drugs are covered under Trillium, and there is no charge for doctor visits.

You don't know how fortunate we Canadians are until you have tried the alternative!

Leave a comment:

• Mossmanor
    replied
    Hi Jobar! From another Muskokan. I have been on Avonex for 5 years now. I had moderate side-effects for the first few months, but they do get easier as time goes by. Here are my tips:
    Warm the shot up to room temperature.
    Do the shot about three hours before bedtime, so you sleep thru the worst SFX. Take you favourite NSAID (ibuprofen for me) when you do the shot, and have a couple more by your bedside with another glass of water if you wake up in the middle of the night.
    And make sure you are on the formula that must be mixed first, NOT the pre-filled syringes. For some reason, the pre-filled variety seems to have stronger side-effects.
    Come and visit the Muskoka MS support group. We meet on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at the Independent store in Bracebridge.

Leave a comment:

• shelbelle
    replied
    I am in Barrie Ont.
    I have not been DX'd but the neuro seems to think thisis what I have. seeing as I have optic neurisis (sp)
    I am orrignally from Toronto.

Leave a comment:

• dennd
    replied
    dx

Hi, I was dx in 1972, before the MRI, it meant going thru all the tests to eliminate everything but ms and blieve me some were pretty awful, I said to my neuro that he must have got some of his training in the Spanish Inquesition.

I am from near Vancouver and hangin in there.

Leave a comment:

• Carol
    replied
    Welcome Jayne!

Where on Vancouver Island were you born? I'm from Ladysmith. My mom is from the Qu'Appelle Valley in Sask.

C

Leave a comment:

• Mamabug
    replied
    Hi. I also grew up in Saskatoon. Still a Canadian citizen, but, have lived in the U.S. for 20+ years; am married to an American citizen.

~ Faith

Leave a comment:

• Jayne
    replied
    Newbie here...from Saskatchewan

Hi! I was born on Vancouver Island, but raised in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. After getting married, my family lived in rural Manitoba for a while. We are now living back in Saskatchewan.

I look forward to getting to know others here. For more info, I briefly introduced myself in the cafe.

Jayne

Leave a comment:

• shakeyatthelake
    replied
    Hi fellow Canucks and Ice Cap lovers. I'm from Sylvan Lake, Alberta and love it here. I moved from Calgary 7 years ago and do not miss the big city life. I have probably struggled with this MS thing since I was 20. I'm 50 now and still waiting for an official dx. I sit at probable Progressive. Things get worse every day with no breaks in between. I also have Bipolar Disorder but am under control now. They tried to tell me that BP was my problem and not MS but that opinion has changed. MRIs don't lie!
    I try to keep a good attitude and don't feel too sorry for myself like I did at first.
    My GP told me the other day that there is a high rate of MS in Alberta. Wonder what's up with that?
    It's nice to see you all here! Take care and keep warm this winter!

Leave a comment:

• Carol
    replied
    Hi jobar!

You'll get more answers if you post in the "Medications" forum.

C

Leave a comment:

• jobar
    replied
    Hi, I live in Gravenhurst, Ontario. Just diagnosed in May 2007 with MS, am 55 yrs old. Started Avonex immediately. I am having side effects from the Avonex. My neuro has suggested that I can change meds to Copaxone in Dec. if the side effects continue. I guess it takes about 6 mos. for the side effects to lessen. I would like to hear if anyone else is on Avonex and having side effects. I have probably had MS for years, not diagnosed. Symptons were put down to other things. I just had a second MRI and it showed a new lesion. I am struggling right now with depression. My doctor has prescribed anti depressants. They seem to be helping.

Leave a comment:

• Carol
    replied
    Welcome Terry!

C

Leave a comment:

• terry62
    replied
    Hi I live in Emo On
    I was dx with ms five years ago. Im so happy to find this site. As i really need people to talk to with ms. I tried a ms support group here but the people in it were a lot older then me and did not feel comfortable with them not that i didn't mind all there wisdom but i needed to find some people my own age and i see that there are here on this site. Im 45 a single father of three with one still at home.

Leave a comment:

• greenhurst
    replied
    Hi and thank you for the invite, I would love to meet with you all. Sadly, I am at work during the week days (except Wednesday's which I use to recharge my personal batteries) and can't come Tuesday mornings. Unless I run away from the office, but I think they would notice I am gone after a while.

Let me know if there is every any thing else you guys are up to, I would be very interested. We have a busy schedule around my house with renovations, work, my son's hockey, my daughters dressage competitions, so finding time is hard but I would try.

I was diagnosed in March of 2006. I am married (celebrated 24 year anniversary this month) have a 21 year old daughter and a 17 year old son.

Nice to hear from other Langley members!

Leave a comment:

• dennd
    replied
    Langley, BC

HI Greenhurst, Join our Langley ms group, we meet the 3rd Tues of every mo.
    except July & Aug., 11:30 at Andreas restaurent on 56th, see you there. (probly a member alreddy)

Denn

Leave a comment:

• AuburnFury
    replied
    I used to live in Langley! Aldergrove actually. And had the most awesome doctor out that way. The opthomologist I saw out there was in Surrey, Dr. Willms I believe. He was excellent.

Small world.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X