Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I live in Gravenhurst, Ontario. Just diagnosed in May 2007 with MS, am 55 yrs old. Started Avonex immediately. I am having side effects from the Avonex. My neuro has suggested that I can change meds to Copaxone in Dec. if the side effects continue. I guess it takes about 6 mos. for the side effects to lessen. I would like to hear if anyone else is on Avonex and having side effects. I have probably had MS for years, not diagnosed. Symptons were put down to other things. I just had a second MRI and it showed a new lesion. I am struggling right now with depression. My doctor has prescribed anti depressants. They seem to be helping.

Comment

Hi jobar!

You'll get more answers if you post in the "Medications" forum.

C

Comment

Hi fellow Canucks and Ice Cap lovers. I'm from Sylvan Lake, Alberta and love it here. I moved from Calgary 7 years ago and do not miss the big city life. I have probably struggled with this MS thing since I was 20. I'm 50 now and still waiting for an official dx. I sit at probable Progressive. Things get worse every day with no breaks in between. I also have Bipolar Disorder but am under control now. They tried to tell me that BP was my problem and not MS but that opinion has changed. MRIs don't lie!
        I try to keep a good attitude and don't feel too sorry for myself like I did at first.
        My GP told me the other day that there is a high rate of MS in Alberta. Wonder what's up with that?
        It's nice to see you all here! Take care and keep warm this winter!
        Norene
        possible MS 2004 - PPMS 2008

Comment

Newbie here...from Saskatchewan

Hi! I was born on Vancouver Island, but raised in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. After getting married, my family lived in rural Manitoba for a while. We are now living back in Saskatchewan.

I look forward to getting to know others here. For more info, I briefly introduced myself in the cafe.

Jayne
          We are never alone.

Comment

Hi. I also grew up in Saskatoon. Still a Canadian citizen, but, have lived in the U.S. for 20+ years; am married to an American citizen.

~ Faith
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Welcome Jayne!

Where on Vancouver Island were you born? I'm from Ladysmith. My mom is from the Qu'Appelle Valley in Sask.

C

Comment

dx

Hi, I was dx in 1972, before the MRI, it meant going thru all the tests to eliminate everything but ms and blieve me some were pretty awful, I said to my neuro that he must have got some of his training in the Spanish Inquesition.

I am from near Vancouver and hangin in there.

Comment

I am in Barrie Ont.
                  I have not been DX'd but the neuro seems to think thisis what I have. seeing as I have optic neurisis (sp)
                  I am orrignally from Toronto.
                  *yawn* always tired as Shel... LOL get it???
                  DX with Migraines without Headaches Dec 07... still in Limbo

Comment

Hi Jobar! From another Muskokan. I have been on Avonex for 5 years now. I had moderate side-effects for the first few months, but they do get easier as time goes by. Here are my tips:
                    Warm the shot up to room temperature.
                    Do the shot about three hours before bedtime, so you sleep thru the worst SFX. Take you favourite NSAID (ibuprofen for me) when you do the shot, and have a couple more by your bedside with another glass of water if you wake up in the middle of the night.
                    And make sure you are on the formula that must be mixed first, NOT the pre-filled syringes. For some reason, the pre-filled variety seems to have stronger side-effects.
                    Come and visit the Muskoka MS support group. We meet on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at the Independent store in Bracebridge.

Comment

[QUOTE=misshayleesmom;800258]I don't think our friends from the U.S understand how difficult it is to find a good doctor here.

At least in the states if you don't like the care you're receiving you switch docs.. here if your doc is not doing his/her job you're screwed and they know it.
                      QUOTE]

I have to disagree with your statements regarding picking a doctor.
                      I lived in the US for almost 12 years. You had to find a Dr. that was covered under your health insurance, often on the opposite side of the city (Atlanta). Then, as companies changed insurance providers, you had to find a new Dr. My first neuro was an idiot. He sent me to a "special" MRI, supposedly the only one with software to dx MS. It was not covered by my insurance, but I took him for his word that I needed to have the test done on this machine, not on others closer to home, which would have been covered. I later found out that he owned the machine. Cost me $1500.
                      He dx'ed that it was definetly NOT MS, but offered no other explanation.
                      The next time I had an attack I went to a different Neuro who ordered a new MRI and from that did dx MS. I brought the films from the first MRI, and he showed me the lesions that easily showed that I had MS.
                      So I started on Avonex almost 2 years after I should have.

Oh, and the hassles with insurers cause enough stress to trigger attacks. The routinely deny EVERY claim and make you fight to get paid.

I may just be lucky, but I have had no problem finding great doctors since I returned to Canada.

Had I stayed in the US I'd have been screwed. I ended up on a disability pension, so I would have had no health coverage. Here in Canada, my drugs are covered under Trillium, and there is no charge for doctor visits.

You don't know how fortunate we Canadians are until you have tried the alternative!

Comment

Thank-you for the warm welcome!

I was born in Nanaimo and lived there until I was 5. My family went back almost every summer for visits until I was 16 or so...then I stayed with friends there for the whole summer I was 18. My husband and I went there nine years ago...that was the last time I've been to the Island. Every time I go it seems to change more and more. I feel due for another visit though!

Jayne
                        We are never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mossmanor View Post
                          . . .
                          Originally posted by Mossmanor View Post
                          You don't know how fortunate we Canadians are until you have tried the alternative!

I continue to strongly say that there is no perfect system, that I am aweare of. I have also tried both. I see major problems with both.

I am bothered when either the U.S. or the Canadian health care system is held up on a pedestal above the other. IMO, it just means that someone's head is buried in the sand.

~ Faith
                          ~ Faith
                          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by shakeyatthelake View Post
                            My GP told me the other day that there is a high rate of MS in Alberta. Wonder what's up with that?
                            I think it's a Canada thing - it's pretty bad in the lower mainland BC and Winnipeg too!
                            Laughter is a medicine with no side effects.
                            26 y/o dx with RRMS @ 21. Rebif 44. Amantadine then Modafinal

Comment

How was everyones thanksgiving? I usually do one, even though I am in the USA now, but cog fog rolled in this year and I forgot. Hopefully, I'll remember the one in November.
                              Penny

"Turn Obstacles into Stepping Stones"

Comment

Waiting for Results RRMS

Hello, I would like to say I live in Alberta, Canada.
                                I 33 and have 2 children (married)
                                I know that everyone with MS are different,but I was wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone/

About 3 1/2 years a go I started haveing 2 episodes a year where I felt aweful couldn't thing...
                                last June out of the blue while camping, fatigue hit me like a tone of bricks, speech problems...
                                At the end of September after getting a bonk to the head these symptoms came on harsh. it strted out with the tone of bricks fatigue, both of my legs hurt like I had worked out the hardest ever. After that subsided days later my right side fely heavy, weak and cold. numb spot in my lower right leg, My speech became slurred, wrong words came out, Horrible headache, Could not even make a grocery list. I managed to see a doctor. She noted my right side was weaker my reflexes were not proper on right side, as well as clonus, and nystagmus in right side. Co-worker noticed I limped by afternoon, Certain sounds drove me crazy.Sge also noted the slurring immediately, I just had the MRI and see a neuro in a week and some. Difficulty sleeping due to right side being very bothersom, like a nagging ache. Trembling after hot bath. I know something iswrong with me. I have known for a while. I also get numb sensations that go through my right side when this bout happens . Lasts about 4-6 weeks.
                                Sound familiar to and one if not RRMS what could it be?

Comment

Working...
                                X