No announcement yet.

Let's have some fun; stupid thing someone has said about dealing with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Doctors have been mentioning for years their belief that I have MS. I am just now allowing them to do whatever tests they want to prove what I am just recently starting to accept as the truth.
    My life always has a million things going wrong at once. I am just one of those people you can cancel your cable and follow around and be just as .... well, whatever.
    I was having a bad day and was in tears because it was one of those moments when everything was crashing down at once. I shared with my Grandmother, while in hysterics about MS. She tells me that my cousin's husband has been taking care of his sister for years. She has MS (I already knew about his sister). She then tells me - which I did NOT know- that she is dying now from the MS. I was like, and you're telling me this because?!!! Her response was just that I didn't look that sick.
    Whatever, oh, and thanks for the pep-talk!

Comment

Originally posted by AmyMeBumbleBee View Post
      I was having a bad day and was in tears because it was one of those moments when everything was crashing down at once. I shared with my Grandmother, while in histarics about MS. She tells me that my cousin's husband has been taking care of his sister for years. She has MS (I already knew about his sister). She then tells me - which I did NOT know that she is dying now from the MS. I was like, and youre telling me this because?!!! Her response was just that I didn't look that sick.
      Whatever, oh, and thanks for the pep-talk!
      OMG Amy!! I hope you don't mind me saying that that's funny - it's just that my bf's mother did kind of the same thing - you know they have good intentions, it just comes out wrong.

We were talking before I was diagnosed and she mentions her sister-in-law who has MS - "She was diagnosed pretty much about the same age as you, she's had it for a really long time, about 15 years, she's done really well with it, of course, she's in a wheelchair now..." :::silence::: :::crickets::: Thanks for reminding me of what could be or possibly could not be inevitable!

Not trying to make light of it or anything of the sort, it's just that I try not to let myself think too much about the very real potential for very serious disability...and this comment just completely made it a definite reality, yet she made it sound like I should be glad I had 10 years left....

Then there's my grandmother (she lives across the country) who called me the other day and asked what kind of wheelchair I had so she could ask her friends if it's a good one. HAHAHAHAHA. Thanks Grandma. (Forget about the fact that I was just diagnosed and have very very minute mobility issues at present - thank god.)
      Kristen
      DX'd 2.9.11
      Has NO idea what she's doing

Comment

Opting to Remain Silent

Wow -- I alternately groaned, rolled my eyes, and LOLed at the stories you all are sharing. Whenever I get tempted to share my diagnosis with anyone, I will think back to this and shut my mouth ... most people are A) Idiots or B) Self-centered know-it-alls.

Only a few close friends and family members know - most of whom (and I emphasize MOST) have responded really supportively.

(I should note that I'm newly diagnosed and my symptoms haven't become so cumbersome that people notice ... just occasional "clumsiness")

Comment

Originally posted by LaDeeDa View Post
          I was told, "Yeah, well some people just have MS, that's the way it is."

I responded, "Yeah, and some people are just stupid. Sorry about your luck."

LOL!!!!! Great comeback, thanks for the laugh
          DX 10/2008
          Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
          Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
          Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I hate when someone asks about symptoms.

When someone asks about one of my symptoms and then says I get that feeling too, I want to just scream. I now answer with "I can't explain it and I don't think you could really understand if I try to explain."
            All sunsets are beautiful, but the most amazing sunsets have a few clouds.

Comment

When discussing medicine costs, my new scrip for fatigue is $60. Hubby says that it's too expensive.
              I agree but say if it helps its worth it. He persists sayinv that it's way too much.
              I say well how much is your prescription? He says 30 bucks. I say well that's not that big of a difference. Say says yeah, well my acid reflux and ulcer are really painful.
              Sheesh. I think he must be in total denial about what MS really does. Oh my goodness.

Comment

I'm a shift manager and one of my coworkers really annoys me. Ironically, she has a brain tumor which she's taking medicine for and it's shrinking. She practically begs for sympathy and I usually cut her more slack than the other employees mostly because she'll go crying to the boss if I don't.

The other day she found out I have ms to which she responds, "I thought you only got ms when you're pregnant. Are you pregnant?" I told her I wasn't and explained what ms is and that it has nothing to do with being pregnant, but I still don't think she believes me.

Same coworker, different day: "But you're not really sick. I mean you don't actually get ms until you're like 30."
                Me: "MS isn't as common in someone my age but it does happen. I've head of 2-year-olds having ms. And I am too sick. Right now I feel like I've been hit by a truck. My arms and legs are killing me. I've messed up three orders today because I can't think straight, and I'm exhausted. The kind of exhausted that will never go away no matter how much sleep I get. What's worse, I'm not even relapsing. This is just how I feel ALL THE TIME!"
                Coworker: "At least you don't have a brain tumor."

Some people are just STUPID!

Comment

Something to be said for political correctness

I was hobbling out of a cafe last week, and an old chap very matter of fact said, "You're crippled!". There were a number of things I wish I'd said, such as, "oh my God, when did that happen" and "no s*** Sherlock" or "thanks for noticing, I do go to trouble" but I only managed a "yes, so it seems".

Comment

The most frustrating response I ever had was from a dr. at a walk in clinic. I had a UTI develop on the weekend so I went to the walk in to get antibiotics. Told them I knew I had a UTI and wanted antibiotics because the UTI was making my MS symptoms flare. When they went to take my BP, I told them I always have high BP in the doctor's office (drives me crazy, but I my systolic shoots through the roof, diastolic remains normal.)

So they tested me and sure enough UTI. Took my BP and sure enough, something like 165/70 (typical for anxiety in a doctor's office for me.)

Then the dr. comes in and in her opinion, I'm stroking out because of my bp. I explain it's normal under these circumstances, but she's concerned about a stroke...so she starts with the questions:

1. Are you having any numbness or tingling? I reply, "Yes, I have MS."

2. Are you having any weakness in a limb? I reply, "Yes, I have MS."

3. Are you having any vision or speech problems? My reply, "Yes, I have MS."

I appreciate her concern for me possibly having a stroke but it was like she was totally ignorant of all the symptoms of MS that I deal with on a daily basis (and especially during an infection or UTI.) She huffed and puffed, I got a lecture...but finally walked out with my Rx for antibiotics. And they wonder why my BP is high in a dr's office, LOL.

Comment

You are asking me what?

A couple of weeks ago, I was limping into another office to drop off some paperwork. A big developer was there to do a prosal to our entity. This developer has been a frequent visitor over the years, but I can safely tell you he does not know my name and I'd be surprised, if he actually recognized me. Anyway, when I walked in he asked "What's wrong with your leg". I was stunned, I replied "nothing", which is true. It's my brain and spinal cord. I wanted to reply "Do I know you?", but I was trying to be more courteous than him.

Comment

Originally posted by bballmom View Post
                        Me: I wish this creepy crawly feeling would go away. I feel like bugs are all over me.

MOM: I get that all the time too.

Me: Really??? Maybe you should be tested!

It really ticks me off when people try to make light of your symptoms or act as if they're going through the same thing.
                        OMG I HATE that and get it fairly often...I think people are just trying to show you that it's not so bad and it could be worse, but it's the worst response...it comes across like they are trying to trivialize it.

Comment

A Good Cleansing

A friend of mine, whom I haven't talked to in awhile, asked me what was wrong with my leg since I have a leg drag when I walk. I told her I have ms and she asked me, "are you sure you have ms? So and so thought she had ms but believed she needed a good cleansing". So I'm just thinking after experiencing all of these symptoms, you mean to tell me all I need is a good laxative?
                          "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
                          Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

Originally posted by apple19 View Post
                            So I'm just thinking after experiencing all of these symptoms, you mean to tell me all I need is a good laxative?
                            Oh! ROFLMAO!! Seems to me she is the one full of..you know what!
                            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

From from my mom....'why are all the kids getting these things?'
                              Dx April 2007
                              Copaxone user ever since

Comment

Originally posted by apple19 View Post
                                So I'm just thinking after experiencing all of these symptoms, you mean to tell me all I need is a good laxative?
                                I'm laughing so hard I'm crying! OMG, I needed that... not the laxative, the laugh... hmmm, maybe both? lmao........
                                MS, it's a brain thang!
                                Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

Working...
                                X