No announcement yet.

Let's have some fun; stupid thing someone has said about dealing with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was meeting with one of the VPs at work and he was telling me how I was very motivating to the other employees with the way I dealt with my challenges at work. Then he said, "It is great all of the things that Jerry does for those kids." He sounded so caring and genuine that I didn't have the heart to tell him that I have multiple sclerosis, not muscular dystrophy. That was about 4 years ago and it still makes me laugh.

Comment

My dad just told me how he met a guy at physical therapy with MS. He says to me "The guy's had it for 30 years and only recently had to stop working. How come you seem to be so much worse off?".

I HATE being compared to others. I just told my dad that guy is probably just luckier than me.
      Courage is NOT the absence of fear, it is going forward in spite of fear. Diagnosed 5/27/10

Comment

2 of my favorite

"if you wanted to there are a lot things you could do to get well"
        the other one is
        "quite making yourself sick it's like hitting yourself with a hammer"

You have to love those that lift you up!!

Comment

Before a VA clinic was opened closer to home, I had to travel 2 hours (one way) to the VA hospital, so I use to go to a private Physician for "minor" problems. When I told the Doctor that I had been diagnosed with MS, his response was, "that's not a good thing to have"! I still crack up over that........
          MS, it's a brain thang!
          Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

Originally posted by gypsy View Post
            My dad just told me how he met a guy at physical therapy with MS. He says to me "The guy's had it for 30 years and only recently had to stop working. How come you seem to be so much worse off?".
            Gee Dad!??? He must be a much stronger better person than I am?
            I am sure our challanges are exactly the same?
            Thank's for the motivational speech!
            I am goning to start to try harder and be a better person so my MS gets better or goes away like your "friend" did.
            Please excuse me, I'm going to start working on it now!

Family probably means well, but sometimes I wish they would just shut their Pie Holes.

Comment

So many, but one that still bugs, was at Disneyland with my daughter, a Cheerleader chapperone with an oversized group was going on space mountain, they lied to the attendant saying they had 8 people having ten, so when it came to getting on the ride, all the spots were taken, the girl running the ride asked for two to get off, I offered to wait and she said no they have to get off. I then offered to ride normal, and she asked if I could get off the ride quickly in an emergency, and well answer was no. So the chapperone threw a fit, the supervisor had to come down and remove her, while she was screaming at everyone to get off, some girls did join her, and her hen pecked husband.

After the ride they have pictures and she was there, swearing and yelling at the screen, :"That ugly lady, and her daughter ruined everything" One of the girls noticed my daughter and I arriving and tried to shhh the team mom, and she said, I am reporting the supervisor and complaining. My daughter so wanted to take her on, and I told her it was not worth it, I felt sorry for the girls, they knew right from wrong, and for the true 'ugly' person no comment, just could not do 'ugly lady' seeing not a lady in the least. I only recently shared the story with my sister, and she was saying all I should of said, knowing I can speak my mind, and in the end, admitted no comment necessary, nothing would have penetrated such a narrow minded person.

One other 'no comment' is a rant from a Mom at our kids practice, saying "Disabled people with there placards, just feel they own the world; so entitled, they have all the time in the world yet get to park the closest."

Comment

too many to list

It’s sad, I have only been dx’d for not even 2 months now and I have way too many stupid comments to list.

While I was out of work during my steroid treatments, my lovely co-workers decided to inform clients why I was gone and that I was dx’d with MS. When I got back I had a client come to me give me a recipe for deodorant. I looked at her puzzled and asked if I stunk or something because I no idea why she would give me the recipe. She said that one of the other girls had told her about my MS and she had a friend who had MS but cured herself by not using store bought deodorant. She said that it was the aluminum in the deodorant that caused my MS and as soon as I stopped using it, my MS would go away.

As usual I’ve been told that I am too young to have MS because I am only 27.

My loving mother informed me that it is just in my head and that I’m not as bad as I think I am. I ended up losing a fight with my husband and bought a cane. The first time she saw it with me she went crazy. Yelling that I’m not that bad and that my husband is only making things worse by allowing me to be lazy.

I told my best friend what the diagnosis was and she informed me that MS can be fatal and it wasn’t fair of me to do this to our friendship……..I think that comment was harder on our friendship than my MS.

I just love people some days.

Comment

A older gentleman, a neurologist no less....

Told me to get the book "Tuesdays with Maury" and relax with a bottle of good wine. Then I would not feel so bad about having MS> What an ***!
                  Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by latcm View Post
                    One other 'no comment' is a rant from a Mom at our kids practice, saying "Disabled people with there placards, just feel they own the world; so entitled, they have all the time in the world yet get to park the closest."
                    I get hit with a double whammy with that one......When I park, I have had so many people tell me, "you can't use your husband's plates to park in the handicap spot".... I have severely disabled Veteran's plates on my car, they are MY plates... I just happen to be a FEMALE Veteran with MS!
                    MS, it's a brain thang!
                    Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

Handicapped plates

My mother is disabled with bad back (no ms) But there was one day at walmart my dad was lifting out my mothers scooter out of the back of their van. Some lady walking by said "well if he can pick that up then he doesn't need a handicapped space" After 20 years of listening to rude people my dad let this lady know without any doubt just who's scooter it was and what he thought of her and her mouth. It was a sight to see!

I love this one also. My parents have a 2008 Corvette with handicapped plates on it. Some one passing by not knowing who owned the car Said "IT MUST BE NICE TOO BE HANDICAPPED!" Like they got the car as a reward for my mom being handicapped. Didn't the rest of you know this that you are blessed to never have to worry about work and the govt. gives you a new Vet to drive also! LOL
                      COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH- BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY ~JOHN WAYNE~

Comment

My parents have a 2008 Corvette with handicapped plates on it. Some one passing by not knowing who owned the car Said "IT MUST BE NICE TOO BE HANDICAPPED!" [COLOR="Blue"]Like they got the car as a reward for my mom being handicapped. Didn't the rest of you know this that you are blessed to never have to worry about work and the govt. gives you a new Vet to drive also! LOL[/QUOTE]

So cool...I must call my my State House an ask!
                        Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

I find one of the most irritating statements is that "it wasn't your MS that made you walk into the wall/tip over/trip/stumble/(you-get-the-picture), you just weren't watching where you were walking and/or you're clumsy."

Yep, clumsy me! I really do enjoy falling on my face and the multitude of bruises and pulled muscles!

Comment

do you take any medications? from the nurse holding my file!!!!!
                            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                            volunteer
                            MS World
                            hunterd@msworld.org
                            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I recently had my ophthalmologist appt, regular doc was sick so he had a partner filling in.

1. Doc looks at my files, says " I see you HAD ms." HAD?!?! No, I have MS, can't get rid of it.

2. Doc asks if I am still working. Yes & I speaking of I need to get back. "Wow, you must be really strong! Everyone I know dx w/MS had to go on disability within a few months of dx." Umm?! No, not strong. I have invisible sx & am in the very early stages, work doesn't know of my dx, so why not work? I like $$$!

I am glad this guy isn't my regular doc!
                              DX 10/2008
                              Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                              Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                              Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Now that I think about it, I'm a graffiti artist.

My mom read somewhere that industrial solvent exposure increases the odds of having MS.

Ever since she can't shut up about this personal theory.

I love my mom but I think she's using this as a soapbox for her feelings about my art and less as a real explanation.

If that was true, all the graffiti writers I know, and I know many, would also have MS. And they don't.
                                "I know that I'm not my illness, but some days it seems so overwhelmingly difficult to cope that I put on that label and wear it like a coat." -Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                                X