No announcement yet.

Let's have some fun; stupid thing someone has said about dealing with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just getting caught up on the latest stupid things people say--there seems to be no end to the answers others have for us with ms. It's one crazy comment after another!!

My latest-- from a "friend"-- why are you walking with a cane" You were fine just alittle while ago! I felt like telling her- "Ya- I LLOOVVEE walking with a cane so much that I feel naked without it!!" STUPID!!!! I've told her numerous times that my sx can change as often as every 20 minutes! Gotta luv these comments from family and friends!!

Comment

STOP STAGGERING! (and it is said in a complaining tone)
      STOP DRAGGING YOU FEET!

....... Gee I'd love to stop staggering and dragging my feet!... But if I had that kind of strength and control; I would be too busy shoving my foot up your @**!

Comment

Originally posted by tommylee View Post
        STOP STAGGERING! (and it is said in a complaining tone)
        STOP DRAGGING YOU FEET!

....... Gee I'd love to stop staggering and dragging my feet!... But if I had that kind of strength and control; I would be too busy shoving my foot up your @**!
        you tell them, tommylee!!! Roflmao!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I don't usually have trouble walking, but sometimes I get dizzy, and that can affect my balance.
          Friend: (after I fell walking up the stairs twice in a row) "Why don't you just take the elevator?"
          Me: "Because I want to do this for as long as I can"
          Friend: "Why?"

Coworker: "So-and-so said you have worms in your brain!?"

Me: "I'm so tired today."
          Friend: "You need to get more sleep at night."
          Me: "I get plenty of sleep. It's the ms."
          Friend: "It's always the ms with you."
          Umm...yeah?

Comment

Originally posted by bballmom View Post
            Me: I wish this creepy crawly feeling would go away. I feel like bugs are all over me.

MOM: I get that all the time too.

Me: Really??? Maybe you should be tested!

It really ticks me off when people try to make light of your symptoms or act as if they're going through the same thing.
            I know the feeling my mother says it ALL THE TIME, what ever i said to her she says "i get that all the time, its not good is it"... it drove me mad that much i don't even speak to her now, that and aload more comments she can just stay outta my life and my kids.

Comment

Last year or so I posted this incident: One Dr said to me when I told her I had MS - "Really? On an energetic level, MS means that you hate your self!" Well, my mouth dropped, I walked out of her office and I "fired" her!!
              How stupid and insensitive!!!

Really? If I truly hated myself than I wouldn't be doing all I can to help with the quality of my life!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

someone told me today about a book they had that talked about drinking a lot of water and how it can cure MS. They didn't even seem convinced.
                Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
                ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Originally posted by bwray View Post
                  I don't usually have trouble walking, but sometimes I get dizzy, and that can affect my balance.
                  Friend: (after I fell walking up the stairs twice in a row) "Why don't you just take the elevator?"
                  Me: "Because I want to do this for as long as I can"
                  Friend: "Why?"

Coworker: "So-and-so said you have worms in your brain!?"

Me: "I'm so tired today."
                  Friend: "You need to get more sleep at night."
                  Me: "I get plenty of sleep. It's the ms."
                  Friend: "It's always the ms with you."
                  Umm...yeah?
                  elevator one reminded me of my mom asking me why I dont use my handicap placard all the time. Because I dont want to use it unless I have to use it. sigh.

Worm - oh that is priceless. Just priceless. What did you SAY??? LOL

"It's always the MS with you" WOW. My husband says that to me all the time. Yes, it is always the MS, ALL THE TIME. Progressive is like that genius.
                  ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

I can honestly say that most people have been kind and supportive when I tell them I have MS. I can only think of 1 time that I lost it with someone for being stupid.

I took my 91 year old grandmother to the grocery store and I ran into someone who I hadn't seen since my diagnosis.
                    As it was a beautiful spring day, she asked me if the boss was playing hookey, I was a VP at a bank in my other life. I told her no that I no longer work and am on disability because of MS. She gave me that up and down disaproving look and told me I look pretty good to her. I told her thank you very much, I know I look great on the outside, but am dying on the inside and until she walks a day in my shoes don't ever judge me or look at me with disaproving eyes. I then walked away and left her with her mouth open. I guess the boss returned that day.

Comment

Originally posted by freedom1 View Post
                      As it was a beautiful spring day, she asked me if the boss was playing hookey, I was a VP at a bank in my other life. I told her no that I no longer work and am on disability because of MS. She gave me that up and down disaproving look and told me I look pretty good to her. I told her thank you very much, I know I look great on the outside, but am dying on the inside and until she walks a day in my shoes don't ever judge me or look at me with disaproving eyes. I then walked away and left her with her mouth open. I guess the boss returned that day.
                      Rock On! I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by freedom1 View Post
                        I took my 91 year old grandmother to the grocery store and I ran into someone who I hadn't seen since my diagnosis.
                        Oh I love it.

Comment

stupid resonse

When I told a family member that I finally had a diagnosis and it was MS the response was: Oh my co-worker has that. She has had it over 30 years and she does her shots everyday and she is still working and is just fine. You will be too. Yeah right, like that co-worker tells you what her life is actually like. I tried to keep an open mind becuase people don't know what to say to you when you tell them you have MS.

Comment

Finally got one!!

I had to bump this one up - I have been waiting, waiting, waiting for someone to say something incredibly insane and stupid to me in regards to MS -- I finally got it! I know I shouldn't be excited, but I kind of feel like it's a "rite of passage..." HAHA!

So in the past I've gotten the "You should be thankful they caught it early," which always kind of seems to me like an insensitive piece of support. I get what they're saying - of course it's better to catch MS before any severe disability kicks in - but on my bad days I kind of want to say, "Yes - wouldn't YOU be so happy if they caught a chronic illness you'll have for the rest of your life when you were young, too?!" Seriously - maybe I'm the insensitive one. But STILL. LOL

But the other day at work - oh my god, it was almost poetic. I can't believe some people's insensitivity and just sheer clueless-ness. A lady I work with says to me, "Well, you can't let it take over your life. I guess you just kind of have to forget that you have it when you're in remission."

Sound advice, nutjob. So, right now, I am working on forgetting that I have MS. I'll let you know how that works out for me
                            Kristen
                            DX'd 2.9.11
                            Has NO idea what she's doing

Comment

"You cant complain - copaxone has the thinnest needle!"
                              -fellow MSer

It took everything in my power not to say - if you had an injection to do every single day wouldnt YOU want a thin needle? I dont think she realizes that thin copaxone needles are a pretty recent invention. (Not to mention it doesnt make the bruises any better!)
                              We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.

Comment

I was told, "Yeah, well some people just have MS, that's the way it is."

I responded, "Yeah, and some people are just stupid. Sorry about your luck."
                                Dee
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X