Mediterranean Baked White Fish
Unbelievably quick, this recipe creates up to six servings of bright sunny flavor.
- 1.5 lbs fresh or frozen fillet of: cod, halibut, grouper, snapper, haddock or other white fish, preferably at least 1 inch thick
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1/2 lb cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 oz pitted olives, halved
- 3 tbsp minced red onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium size mixing bowl
- Tray to lay out fish fillet(s)
- Baking pan
If using frozen fish, thaw completely, allowing several hours. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Meanwhile, prepare the veggies and assemble all the ingredients. Lay the fish in a tray, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Generously grease your baking dish with olive oil, and lay the fish seasoned side down in it. Season the top side of the fish with salt and pepper. Squeeze two of the lemon quarters all over the top of the fish.
In the mixing bowl, toss together the vegetables and spices. Salt and pepper to taste, then toss again with 1/4 cup olive oil. Spread this mixture evenly over the fish. Squeeze the last two lemon quarters over all. Place the dish in the fully heated oven. After 12 minutes, try flaking the fish by placing a fork in the thickest part and gently twisting. If it flakes readily, it’s done. If not, leave it in for 3 more minutes and test again. At this high temperature, the longest it should be in the oven is 20 minutes. Most fillets will be done in 15 minutes.