dairy free zuppa toscana (tuscan soup)
Nothing warms on a chilly day like this Italian soup. And, it’s quick and easy!
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage meat
- 1 medium sweet or Vidalia onion or 2 good-sized shallots, chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 6 cups bone broth or chicken broth
- 3 cups kale, sliced or snipped into ribbons, woody stems removed
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk, solid part only
- Dutch oven or heavy soup pot
- Slotted spoon
- Food processor
- Kitchen scissors
- Cutting board
- Can opener
- Measuring cups and spoons
Heat the Dutch oven over medium heat. Once it is hot, snip the bacon into it, in one inch pieces. Stir to separate for even cooking. Remove to a bowl with slotted spoon and drain out most of the grease. Throw in the sausage meat and cook thoroughly, breaking it up as it cooks.
Remove sausage with slotted spoon and drain out the fat and juices, reserving about 1 tablespoon in the pot.
Throw in the onion. Cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and stir till fragrant.
Add the potatoes, red pepper flakes and broth. Increase heat a little and bring to a boil, covered. Continue boiling till the potatoes are fork-tender but not completely done, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Uncover, stir in the kale and continue simmering uncovered for another 5 minutes. Add the sausage, bacon and coconut milk solids, stir and simmer until the coconut milk is melted in.