chicken kale bacon stew
Hearty Bacon, Chicken and Kale Stew
- 5 strips thick-cut bacon
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic or garlic paste
- 1 medium potato
- 1 quart bone broth
- 1 (10 oz) bag frozen kale or one bunch fresh kale
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Heavy bottomed stock pot or Dutch oven
- Kitchen scissors
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Separate cutting boards for meat and vegetables
- Can opener
Cut bacon into 2-inch pieces with sharp knife or kitchen scissors. Dice or cut chicken into pieces. Heat pot over medium-high heat. While it heats, dice the onion.
Brown the bacon in the pot, about 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium, move bacon to the sides of the pot, add the chicken to the middle and cook, stirring a few times to turn, about 3 minutes.
While the bacon and chicken cook, if preferred, peel the potato, or leave skin on, scrubbing well. Dice. If using fresh kale, remove stems and tear or cut leaves into shreds.
Remove the chicken from the pot and add the garlic, onion and potato. Saute about 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
Add the chicken broth and chicken to the pot, cover and increase heat back to medium-high.
Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and cook for about 10 minutes.
Add the kale, salt, and diced tomatoes, stir well, cover and cook another 10 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir in the coconut milk and season with freshly ground pepper to taste.