Let's have some fun; stupid thing someone has said about dealing with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bballmom View Post
    Me: I wish this creepy crawly feeling would go away. I feel like bugs are all over me.

MOM: I get that all the time too.

Me: Really??? Maybe you should be tested!

It really ticks me off when people try to make light of your symptoms or act as if they're going through the same thing.
    I laugh really loud now! hahah....
    I really didnt knew what to answer when people do the same to me.. so thanks..

"Maybe you're ill cuz of you smoking a lot?"
    "maybe youre in depression, you should talk with you doctor about it!"

- they should be happy I cannot drive cars.

Comment

Several years ago,I had my second outbreak, worse then the first and we were waiting for a diagnose....still only a few spinal lesions, but completely lost the use of my right arm. My mother who, well, was not dealing with this well would continually avoid talking about my symptoms or would get upset because I was not into "visiting". She refused to learn anything about MS....... She finally comes to visit and sits down with me and asks.....what has caused this......so I explain what a spinal lesion is............... She then spend the next few months telling everyone I had back issues. She would call and ask how my back was!!!!! In a medicated moment I flipped and set her to the MS Society for info! Things have been much better since. This crazy disease is very difficult to manage and explain. If your losing your mind how can you possibly explain that!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mel222 View Post
        Walking out from lunch on the pier where I live - close friend asks "where are you parked?" I reply - "in the handicapped spot over there..." Incredulously - she responds "how did you get a handicapped card?" I reply - "it was a gift with purchase when I got MS".....
        HAHAHA!... You should also tell her what more you got in the "MS goodie bag. "... I am happy to find some ironic stuff here also.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonwall View Post
          I have a shirt that says MS Sucks i wear to walk and such,
          one person at wal-mart asked me why I hated Microsoft so much.
          U safe my day! I cannot stop laughing...

Comment

Oh this is my favorite thing to discuss! My mother can really come up with some gems, her latest was in regards to my strength training. As I'm walking in from the gym after a hard workout (as they ALL are) she says, "You shouldnt workout so hard, have you forgotten that you have MS??"
            REALLY??? HAVE I FORGOTTEN?? WT?!

Comment

totally addicted

I found this thread last night and read til i couldn't see anymore. then i had to come back today and read every single post! this was great! thank you all! here is a good one for you. went to a pt to get fitted for a brace for my leg... the guy who does the braces came over and had me walk up and down the hall a few times to access the problem... Turns and says, " well we should definatly put a brace on that leg, but you know you don't have to walk like that if you don't want to...." well duh, i just enjoy it!!!!!

Comment

My mother who has seen my walking problems will call and ask me if she can come over and I'll say yes. She'll show up and ask me what's wrong, do I have a cold?

I'll say no, without nasal congestion and no tissue box in sight.

I'm also fatigued so she'll ask me if I'm having one of my tired spells again.

She'll see me wearing casts after falls and then once they're off she wants me to get into the garden and exercise.

If I have MS she's going to need a brochure from the MS Society as she doesn't listen when I speak and doesn't retain or understand, nor does she have common sense about what's going on with me.

So apparently I have a cold and no walking problems - yay me! I'm no longer in limbo I should be better in five days from now! Awesome!
                Take care,
                swingingwillow
                Limbo lander on hold with a fast busy signal...

Comment

Originally posted by Nebbykoo View Post
                  I had a guy say to me "oh, that's a womans's disease."

I'm clearly a man. thanks for the info, buddy.
                  hahaha, he must have thought you said you had "PMS"!
                  20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

Comment

Originally posted by HellsBells1 View Post
                    hahaha, he must have thought you said you had "PMS"!
                    I have PMS although there was a study recently that says that PMS does not exist. Clearly, I was not included in that study.

If I am diagnosed with MS and I already have PMS...oh I can't think of something funny to say about it but it sounds funny to me...yes I have an odd sense of humour. *shrug*
                    Take care,
                    swingingwillow

Comment

PMS vs MS

Well, if PMS is pre-menstrual syndrome, perhaps MS is Mental Syndrome... no wonder all the docs keep saying it's all in our heads! Tell them "I have MS, exacerbated by a serious case of PMS, and an XS amount of impatience, and P.S. in case you MiSsed that, it means shut up before you really PS me off."

Since I am a limbo-lander, and have had symptoms for literally 25 years, and am going through diagnosis right now with all the tests (and they found 8-9 lesions in 3 different areas of my brain), my DH says to me, "Why are you so set on having MS? I'm hoping you don't have it, and you are hoping you do have it." What?

I tell him I don't want it, but I know something is wrong, and all I want is answers. Some people (most people) don't really understand how awful it is to go through life not being well, and having really strange problems, and not having any answers.

So, since I have no official dx, that is so far the dumbest thing someone has said to me. But if I do get a dx, now I have a bunch of great responses if I get any of these stupid remarks from people.
                      20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

Comment

love these posts

Stupid questions:

If you excercised more, wouldn't it go away?

How long will you have MS?

What causes MS?

When are you going to die from this?

You know that other things can mimic MS. Maybe yours is one of those. Do you think it could be something else? I suppose this person just thinks I made it up or my doctor is totally incapable of this diagnosis.

What cures MS?

I find it hard to believe you have MS when you look so good. Does that mean it went away?

Comment

Chase Bank New accounts representative conversation.

I said, "I just need some cash, I became ill during a move to this area and I need a bank nearby. I lost my balance and went to E. Med. Center and the M.D. told me I have M.S..."

She interrupted:
                          "Well, I hear they can do all kinds of things for M.S. How much money would you like to deposit!"

I was shocked, to say the least. She wasn't the one stumbling into walls, bad vision, dropping everything, etc. and having difficulty cognitively.

If I did not have 2 men sitting there, waiting for cash for doing some work for me, I would have walked out! That was in early August, I have not been back.

As soon as I feel better I will go in and talk to the branch manager, as I close my accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by HellsBells1 View Post
                            Well, if PMS is pre-menstrual syndrome, perhaps MS is Mental Syndrome... no wonder all the docs keep saying it's all in our heads! Tell them "I have MS, exacerbated by a serious case of PMS, and an XS amount of impatience, and P.S. in case you MiSsed that, it means shut up before you really PS me off."
                            BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!
                            Take care,
                            swingingwillow

Comment

Just after diagnosis, a work colleague said "Oh my neighbour has MS".

I asked "How are they generally with their MS" as I was very scared about the future

Reply was "Oh they went into a wheelchair 4 years ago, but they haven't got any worse since then"

DOH!!

Comment

When my brother found out I have MS, he asked me if "that's the disease that makes you go crazy." I was confused, but after a little more conversation figured out that my brother had mixed up MS and syphilis. Nice, huh - he thought I had an STD! I guess the nice thing about syphilis is that medicine clears it up, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X