No announcement yet.

Let's have some fun; stupid thing someone has said about dealing with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jbuckz - I'm in the Lakes Region area and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. All of my family and my in-laws are close by.

We haven't had much snow this winter - the Halloween storm melted quickly and I think that was the most we got this year in one storm.

Glad that you are able to take the heat out there and it works for you !

Comment

Played golf yesterday with someone I did not know, he asked me if I hurt my leg do to my limp and what looked like a brace on my leg (my walk aid was causing my pant leg to get hung up on it), I told him I had MS and even told him about my walkaide on my leg and how it worked, he asked me if the Dr had said how long I had, I said what do you mean, he said well people don't live more than a couple of years with MS don't they? I told him I have had it for over 30 yrs now and he asked if they are studying me to see how I made it this long. After talking with him for while I realized he thought Lou Gehrig desease was the same thing as Ms.
      Now there is one more person in the world educated about MS.
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Optic-neuritis.com

Now, that's a site for sore eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter24 View Post
          Played golf yesterday with someone I did not know, he asked me if I hurt my leg do to my limp and what looked like a brace on my leg (my walk aid was causing my pant leg to get hung up on it), I told him I had MS and even told him about my walkaide on my leg and how it worked, he asked me if the Dr had said how long I had, I said what do you mean, he said well people don't live more than a couple of years with MS don't they? I told him I have had it for over 30 yrs now and he asked if they are studying me to see how I made it this long. After talking with him for while I realized he thought Lou Gehrig desease was the same thing as Ms.
          Now there is one more person in the world educated about MS.
          I LOLed
          Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
          UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Jackson View Post
            I would wait till he bent over and than show him the depth of sin I can commit with my cane!
            I LOLed

Comment

I was diagnosed last month and am very open about... well... everything. So when I emailed my boss to tell her why I had been out sick and was diagnosed with ms, her response was to try to be empathetic, which was in an email, so it wasn't exactly something stupid you say and wish you could take back.

"After I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 13, I have dealt with severe scoliosis (and chronic back pain) for my entire adult life. I suppose it's just one of those things that you end up getting used to when there is no cure for the condition."

I wish the only thing I had to look forward to was back pain...

Comment

Nap

I work at 50% for the time being, too tired to do more and needing to sleep for a couple of hours to be able to make the day. The other day, when I was about to go home, my boss looks at me, sighs and says "oh! I would so like go home and take a nap also". Another colleague hears her and says "me too!" I haven't been able to say what I really thought and just smiled at them. I don't think they realized what they wanted too... (or at least I hope so)

Comment

Originally posted by Cardee View Post
                  I work at 50% for the time being, too tired to do more and needing to sleep for a couple of hours to be able to make the day. The other day, when I was about to go home, my boss looks at me, sighs and says "oh! I would so like go home and take a nap also". Another colleague hears her and says "me too!" I haven't been able to say what I really thought and just smiled at them. I don't think they realized what they wanted too... (or at least I hope so)
                  Tell them they can trade with you. You'll work for them and they can have your MS. Sound fair?

Comment

After my first MRI but not diagnosed yet, my father in law asked me how it went and I told him that they found lesions on my brain. His reply "Maybe you got them from the leaches in your lake". I was speechless.

Fast forward 6 months and I have a PPMS diagnosis. He asks me if I am doing better yet. My reply "That isn't going to happen". He is speechless.

The one that bothered me the most though was my first neuro. After telling me the diagnosis of PPMS said "but it could be benign, you never know" really then why did I come to you with a 2 page list of symptoms? Then he says "but look at you, you're fine". I wasn't aware that my looks had anything to do with my diagnosis or prognosis. Idiot.

My former mother in law after telling her my diagnosis saying well so and so worked with me, she had MS and she is fine now. My MIL is a retired nurse and still said this. Scary.

For the most part people have been really great though.
                    I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

FUNNY Jerry Lewis telethon

All of these things are case and point that we need "MS Awareness" out there.

Very few people I come across REALLY know what it is even if they "have an aunt...or a cousin... or I know a neighbor..." blah blah we all know that story.

Also, especially when going through just a few symptoms, people always have that simple logical "here's how to fix that" even though they have no experience with the disease nor are in the medical profession.

Like, "oh, extreme fatigue, why don't you get more sleep" or my favorite..."oh, I hurt too. Yesterday I -fill in the blank with an activity- and now I'm so sore"

They just don't know. Or yeah, they are just insensitive idiots.

I recently talked to an old friend who I lost track of years ago and told her I had MS. She said - "Oh, I'm sorry to hear, I don't really know much about it but I do watch the Jerry Lewis telethon every year".

I just laughed. It was the most innocent response an I didn't mind at all, it DID MAKE ME LAUGH IN A GOOD WAY.
                      No harm, no foul.

At least this time...

Comment

Four weeks ago, I saw an old friend who exclaimed to me, "You look wonderful." A few days later, she told me that I "look so much better than the last time I saw you." I guess that I should tell her to make up her mind.

Another person told me that magnets are good for MS but he is not sure of how to use them.
                        Be happy!

Comment

Today, I viewed this thread for the first time, although I have belonged to MS World for many years. Now I will check in often to have some fun~
                          Be happy!

Comment

My own dad told me "It's really not that bad, you could have something much worse." This was when I told him about my dx.

Comment

Originally posted by choco View Post
                              me 'there's no reason why you can't do the same and why you can't think your way out of having MS, after all the mind is a very powerful thing and does control the body.'
                              I went back and started reading old posts before I posted mine. Strangely- this is almost exactly what someone said to me.

:-| Now, I believe in the power of positive thinking but this one really burns my butt.

Originally posted by apple19 View Post
                              So I'm just thinking after experiencing all of these symptoms, you mean to tell me all I need is a good laxative?
                              I needed a laugh out loud moment!
                              Compassion, forgiveness, these are the real ultimate sources of power for peace and success in life.
                              Dalai Lama

Comment

BAHAHAHAHAHA I love this!

Comment

Working...
                                X