No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and by the way, the other night we had a severe storm that knocked the power out to over half the city. I got home from work and was reading my Kindle by candlelight! One extreme of technology to the other!
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Reading Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. Quite enlightening, and pushing me over to vegetarianism and away from processed foods as much as possible.

Comment

I just started reading an excellent book that I downloaded free from Amazon.com called Gods and Kings by Lynn Austin. It's a historical story about the kings of Israel from ancient Biblical times and is excellently written. It's part one of a series. I'm looking forward to reading all of them!
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I finished a biography of Michelle Obama called Michelle by Liza Mundy (2008). It was written shortly before Obama became President.

I was interested in it partly because it dealt with areas of Chicago I've lived in--and partly because I knew that Michelle Robinson Obama's father had MS.

I'll paste the comments about it that I put on my books blog:

This brief biography of Michelle Obama, by a Washington Post reporter, may have been written to give a boost to the Obama campaign. Be that as it may, it is moderately informative though only occasionally somewhat critical.

Still, maybe there is little to criticize in the First Lady. She comes across here as very special indeed--a woman with incisive intelligence, humor, and know-how who cares intensely about the concerns of women and children.

The discussion of Michelle Robinson's childhood is sketchy, and her parents and even her brother pretty much disappear from the book by the time she reaches adulthood.

I'd have appreciated more emphasis on her remarkable father, who worked as a laborer at a Chicago patronage job all his life--and died at the age of 56, having had multiple sclerosis for years.
          MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Glatiramer acetate 40 mg (= Copaxone) 2021- 3/16/24

Comment

aretmis fowl series

I bought
            two books

artemis fowl eternity code
            and
            artemis fowl opal deception

at a used book store for a couple bucks each

they said for kids or adults of any age though probably geered to the 11 yr is old kids

easy read

somewhat sci fi

just bought the first two in the series

artemis fowl

and

artemis fowl the arctic...

(sorry ms brain book is not in front of me and can't remember full title)

anyway you can start anywhere and join the story easily

again...easy read don't have to focus alot to be able to get back into it once put down.

now if I can get my boys to start it

Comment

For those who read The Help by Kathryn Stockett and loved it, I just heard that the movie is coming out in August. If you haven't read it, it's really a good read!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Since I last shared, I've read Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Driftless by David Rhodes, The History of Love by Nicole Krauss, and I'm finishing Room by Emma Donoghue and Radical by David Platt.

Comment

the forgotten garden

just finished the forgotten garden

548 pgs long but good

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                    For those who read The Help by Kathryn Stockett and loved it, I just heard that the movie is coming out in August. If you haven't read it, it's really a good read!
                    I got to see a sneak preview of the movie in Washington and it was really good. Like usual, I liked the book more, but the movie was great too!

Comment

I just bought "The Help" on a visit to Target. Can't wait to get started reading it!
                      “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
                      Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Folded Notes and A City So Grand

I'm in the middle of Stephen Puleo's A City So Grand, and have ordered Tara's Folded Notes from Amazon.

Stephen Puleo writes historical non fiction. I read his Dark Tide (about the Boston Molasses Flood of 1918) to my students for the past few years. A City So Grand is every bit as engaging. I recommend his books to anyone interested in the human side of historical events, especially in Massachusetts.

I'm looking forward to Folded Notes' arrival in the mail later this week. I have begun a story of my own diagnosis and its resulting impact on my career as a teacher. It won't be done for a year or so, but meanwhile, I have a few books posted on Amazon. Maybe you'll stumble across me there! If not, you'll find some of my poems at the Creative Center of MS World.
                        First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
                        Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

President Biographies

I lead a on-line group discussion on shelfari. We are reading biographies of the presidents in chronological order. We are currently reading one on Millard Filmore.
                          “Never permit a dichotomy to rule your life, a dichotomy in which you hate what you do so you can have pleasure in your spare time. Look for a situation in which your work will give you as much happiness as your spare time.” Pablo Picasso

Comment

I just got finished reading Eve by Anna Carey, and Bumped by Megan McCafferty. I finished each within 3 hours of starting. They're good, but they might be more suited for younger adults or teens rather than being aimed at everyone. I am a young adult though, so that works for me!

Today I just bought:
                            The Pact by Jodi Picoult
                            Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
                            Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult
                            When She Woke by Hillary Jordan
                            After by Amy Efaw
                            The House at Riverton by Kate Morton (since I bought this as a gift for a friend, I probably won't end up reading it)

After was found in the young adult book section, but I think the rest are suited for everyone, not specifically young people. I'll come back later and talk about the books once I've read them c:

Comment

I just finished up Beyond all Price, A Novel of the Civil War Nurse Nellie M. Chase. By: Carolyn Poling Schriber. It was a good book and a true story about a nurse during the Civil War. (I got it free for my Kindle on Amazon.com.)

Now I'm starting on While We're Far Apart by Lynn Austin. Also another free Kindle book I downloaded. I'm looking forward to it, as I've read some of her other books, which were great. (The Chronicle of the Kings series.)

Comment

Steve Jobs

Been reading this for a week now. Don't have much time to read but try get about 10-20 pages a day. Fascinating to get the history of these technologies from the very beginning. Plus the quirky personality of this guy is so interesting to wonder why he had such vision and impact. I'll let you know what I think at the end but I should say upfront, I'm a Mac. I love what he created but I never really connected the products with his personality. Always loved the way he introduced them as his love and passion for them showed through so clearly, but other than that, really knew nothing about him (ok well except he might be a tough boss).
                                ---------------
                                "It's never crowded along the extra mile." --Dr. Wayne Dyer

Comment

Working...
                                X