No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our book group just read "Doc" by Mary Doria Russell - the life of Doc Holliday in Dodge City, Kansas. Anyone who grew up watching westerns with Doc, Bat Masterson and Wyatt Earp will enjoy this! I didn't think I'd enjoy it, but was wonderfully surprised. And of course, Mary Doria Russell is such a great writer. Another one I read of hers was "Thread Of Grace" - one of my all time favorites.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Two Years before the mast

I am about 1/3 through it. I am enjoying it so far.
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

I have been plowing through the Game of Thrones series. It is magnificent, can't wait til the next installment! Also read Life of Pi over Christmas break. It was a little strange, but definitely original and inventive.

Comment

books

I've been on a roll lately as far as really good books. I tend to finish one and start right away into another. Some of them are:
          Neil Young "Waging Heavy Peace"
          Patrick DeWitt "Sisters Brothers"
          Cheryl Strayed "Wild"
          Geraldine Brooks "Caleb's Crossing".
          I have a very large stack of to reads......These are just a few of the last ones I would highly recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by goddessmoon View Post
            I've been on a roll lately as far as really good books. I tend to finish one and start right away into another. Some of them are:
            Neil Young "Waging Heavy Peace"
            Patrick DeWitt "Sisters Brothers"
            Cheryl Strayed "Wild"
            Geraldine Brooks "Caleb's Crossing".
            I have a very large stack of to reads......These are just a few of the last ones I would highly recommend.
            Let me know if you loved Wild, will you? I've had my eye on that one and am looking for a suggestion for our book group! thanks~

Comment

Hey book lovers, I need assistance. A while ago a member posted a list of sites with free electronic books. I can't remember who posted it but if anyone knows of any, would you be so kind as to post them (if it's within MS World guidelines of course).

Thanks in advance,
              Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

books

I started "Wild" yesterday, have not been able to put it down. So far, a fabulous read!!! Would make for some excellent book club discussion.

Comment

To Jen

Cat Mom --

I don't remember posting links for free e-books, but, I have some.

Here are the sites that I subscribe to (join, sign up for, whatever).I like to subscribe because I get daily emails. Or, you could just go the websites when you're interested in looking to see what might be available for that day.

• I think that they all work much the same. I think they each send daily emails, and I think the free or discounted cost expires on the e-books. Some books are only free for a day; other offers seem to last longer. Some books are free; others are only discounted. I think all of the sites connect to amazon, so you purchase/download your books through there. I think most offer a variety of fiction and non-fiction. There are probably lots of others. I found most of these on facebook ads in the right column when my Newsfeed is open.

http://www.inspiredreads.com/ -- This link tends to have more Christian content.
                  http://freedigitalreads.com/
                  http://www.pixelofink.com/
                  http://www.bookbub.com/home/

I've heard that it also works to do google searches for free e-books and you can find them that way. I haven't tried that.
                  It is also often possible to "borrow" ebooks from your local library. My understanding is that, after you borrow one, it appears on your kindle for 2 weeks, and then vanishes.

~ Faith
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks Faith! I only have Pixel of Ink from your list so I'm looking forward to checking out some of these new ones! This time, I won't rely on my brain to remember these, as soon as I'm done this reply, they're going on my "Favourites". Thanks so much again.
                    Jen

Comment

You're welcome, Jen. Somebody also just told me about www.cbd.com

I haven't checked that one out yet.
                      ~ Faith
                      ~ Faith
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Cat Mom, there's also Project Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

--I'm currently reading (listening to) Daughters-in-Law by Joanna Trollope. I've read several of her other novels.
                        MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

Originally posted by goddessmoon View Post
                          I started "Wild" yesterday, have not been able to put it down. So far, a fabulous read!!! Would make for some excellent book club discussion.
                          Thanks goddessmoon! I just put a hold on it from the Library, but there are 40 people ahead of me waiting. Wish I could afford to buy books.......

I'm very interested in the Pacific Coast Trail while living somewhat nearby. Others I know have hiked parts of it. Something I'll never get a chance to do. Reading about it will be an "armchair" experience - the next best thing. Can't wait!

Comment

Thanks again Faith and agate for posting these links! It's so refreshing to be able to choose from such a wide variety, not being limited to large print (expensive to buy, very limited at regular library) or others from the CNIB (Canadian National Institue for The Blind) library!

I'm think I'm already addicted to my IPad, having these books will salt it away!
                            Jen

Comment

Ohhh. Do you make the font larger on your IPad? What a good idea.

Here is one more I forgot to list:
                              http://freedigitalreads.com/

~ Faith
                              ~ Faith
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Cat Mom, large print books are a great idea but they tend to be big and clunky--and heavy to hold. Also, there just isn't that much to choose from in large print.
                                MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

Working...
                                X