No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished reading "Out of My Life and Thought - An Autobiography" by Albert Schweitzer. 1932 (new English translation, 1990)
    And am currently working on... "From Dawn to Decandance: 1500 to the Present. 500 Years of Western Cultural Life" by Jacques Barzun (2000), and "Made in America - An Informal History of the English Language in the United States" by Bill Bryson (1995)
    RRMS: dx:March '07. Started CombiRx June 2007 - Avonex or Copaxone or Both; Study unblinded Nov.2011 - have been on only Copaxone.
    "e lascia pur grattar dov'e la rogna" (Dante "Divine Comedy")

Comment

Just picked up the newest Catherine Coulter FBI book hot off the presses! I saw it in Costco today and didn't even know it was out! I love those books and can't wait to dive into it. Unfortunately, I have a huge to-do list before I visit with Savich and Sherlock.

Comment

I don't usually read books by celebrities or by relatives of celebrities, but 12 years ago I requested this book on tape from the library, and the other day it finally arrived--Leading with My Heart by Viriginia Kelley and James Morgan (published in 1994).

At first I was going to send it back unread, but I decided to listen to it since it was here.

As everyone knows (?), Virginia Kelley was the mother of President Bill Clinton. Books by relatives of celebrities often "embroider" the facts, or omit very important material, or simply lie, but this one has the ring of truth.

Has anyone else read it?
        MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

12 years?

Did your library have an excuse why you didn't get it after eleven years? I'm glad your patience was rewarded. I didn't remember who Virginia Kelly was even though I follow politics. She died right?

Comment

jw90019, I guess I should have explained. I "read" Talking Books (recorded on tape by the National Library Service, a branch of the US Library of Congress), which I get through a regional branch of the library for the blind and physically handicapped. People with MS often are eligible for these recorded books even when we're not legally blind. If you have physical problems hanging onto a print book, turning the pages, etc., you're also eligible.

One drawback is that you often have to wait a long time before getting a book you requested. Waiting 12 years isn't so unusual for these books.

On the other hand, library patrons are allowed to keep the tapes for up to a year!

Yes, Virginia Kelley did die. In fact, the copyright on the tape is held by her estate.

Comment

Have you tried eBook's? That's the way I read everything now. I just started Christopher Hitchens God Is Not Great. If you don't know about it there is this organization called Bookshare.org you can join. Look into it. Also the Gutenberg project.

Comment

I reread a novel using Project Gutenberg a while back, in connection with an online book discussion. It's easier for me to listen to an audio book but reading on the screen is a bit easier than having to hold the book and turn the pages. (I have vision problems too.)

Thanks for letting me (and others) know about Bookshare.org. I'll definitely check it out.

Comment

now Im reading mind power by Gary null's
                  rejuvenate your breain and memory naturally.
                  sounds pretty interesing.

Comment

I just finished Live Bait by P.J. Tracy (a mother and daughter writing team ). It was pretty good alot of characters to keep straight but good story development with the underlying story of do we ever really know people as well as we think we do. I would recommend it, if you like mysteries,
                    a little violence but entertaining.
                    Mary
                    A live wire just with a short circuit.

Comment

I just finished 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' and it was great.

Powerful stuff.

As a woman I am in awe of the authors ability to describe the issues that women have to deal with in the Middle East.

I am also in awe of how educated woman are in spite of the resolve of the extremists to keep them as ignorant and enslaved as possible.

I felt ashamed of not taking advantage of my freedom to be better educated.

This book has allowed me to feel certain that we should fight the terrorists who would deprive us (men and women) of our freedom.

Diane
                      You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Started with Odd Thomas, just finished Forever Odd and am getting read to start Brother Odd.

Comment

james patteson

i also love his books as with john grisham. i did not like the broker but most of his other books were ones you could not put down. i just got into tom thompson who writes great mystery noveles based on true storys. i just finished lost which was one of his best.

Comment

Affliction by Russell Banks, who also wrote The Sweet Hereafter ( I read it and saw the movie). Affliction was an absorbing story, about a cop who has a drinking problem and his violent tendencies take over.

Comment

I am reading Fall On Your KNees by Ann-Marie Macdonald. It's a pretty good book, based in the 1910'ish.

Was wondering if anyone else has read it and what they thought about it.
                              ~Patience~

Comment

I'm ready The God Delusion right now. It's about atheism--makes me feel better about not having a god. Really good.
                                Susan

Comment

Working...
                                X