pro-biotics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pro-biotics

Tara or anyone who knows anything about them. Can they benefit a pwMS? I don't mean Activia, but the more potent kind you buy at the drugstore. Thanks.
    Tawanda

Yes, probiotics can benefit MSers! I take them regularly myself, always the kind that's kept refrigerated at the store (and at home). I get mine at my local natural foods co-op.

Here are a couple of earlier threads on probiotics for you.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111411

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104800

Comment

It sounds like most here who use the probiotics have some type of stomach/"gut" issues. I don't have any problems at this time with "gut" issues.

Is there still benefit to trying the probioics and if so, why ?

My PCP, who is generally very holistic in her approaches does not recommend them or take them herself. # 1 because not regulated and therefore not all are created equal. # 2 there are no scientific studies that specifically demonstrate a benefit.

I know that they do help some people with certain conditions, but would like to know what specific benefit I could get from using them.

Thank you !

Comment

Good question, cosake!

I'll be interested to hear Tara's take on this.

Here's what she said in an earlier post that somewhat relates to your question (emphasis mine):

Supplemental form is a "correcting" way to go, i.e., after antibiotics, IV steroid Txs--which will create fungal overgrowth) and then routinely consuming quality, very low sugar yogurts and kefirs as a maintanence program of keeping the bowel populated with the "good" guys.
        My own non-professional opinion is that taking probiotics in supplemental form (capsules, liquid) is warranted if you have chronic digestive problems (as I do), but if your digestion is good it's better to stick to whole food sources such as yogurt, kefir, miso, unpasteurized sauerkraut, etc.

These whole foods have been part of the diet of many cultures around the world for centuries, and offer additional nutritional benefits beyond the probiotics they contain.

Comment

I have been thinking about taking them myself. But I would also like to hear from people on here if they took them. How did they work for them? Did they like them? Stuff like that.

I do know from personal experience that they work wonders on yeast infections and bowel problems. But that was me. Everyone is different.
          What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
          X