Has anyone tried probiotics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried probiotics?

My mom was doing research and probiotics are discussed in Montel Williams' book. I've never heard of them, so I was wondering if anyone used as a supplement. Thanks!

I've taken probiotics for a long time. Even before I was diagnosed with MS. I think they are beneficial.

Jen

Comment

I also have taken probiotics for a long time. I started using them whenever I was prescribed an antibiotic, then segued into an every day, all year long regimen.

Many of us seem to have problems with digestion/elimination, and probiotics can help with that.

Andrew Weil, M.D. recommends daily probiotics for people with MS.

Comment

Yes and yes....very important to good health. I am a strong supporter of probiotics. I've tried many and like the Enzymatic therapies brand (the pearls). My colon etc. is all much happier with them.

Also, I have tried the Align brand and they caused constipation and cramping. I went with and without them multiple times always with the same result. My FIL recommended the Align, I tried them after he died. Intresting that he also complained about being constipated and having cramps. Too bad I never got a chance to discuss this with him before he died (his death was from another cause).
        Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

I will probably be in the minority but I can't use probiotics, they cause stomach cramps and diareah. I also can't eat yogurt or take any digestive enzymes for the same reason.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by MiSunderstood
            Snoopy, I don't know if your issues stem from dairy but Culturelle also makes a dairy free formula.
            I don't know why I react like I do. I was using a loose powdered form of multi-vitamins...loved it. It didn't take long, about a week or two, before my stomach/bowels started to bother me...it had digestive enzymes in it
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

good for cats, too

Well, I bought some and never took them. I was on such a crazy pill regimen, I just couldn't add more pills. Then I got a new kitten and he had projectile diarrhea. Took him to vet several times and got rid of any parasites, but he still had the problem. Then the vet suggested putting him on a no-grain, raw meat diet and add probiotics. It worked wonders. You can get probiotics for pets but vet actually recommended buying at healthfood store. I compared ingredients and there really is no difference. So, my cats eat special diet of raw meat mixed with a couple spoonfuls of a veggie/fruit concoction of pumpkin, tomatoes, apple sauce and spinach along with probiotics.

Comment

i was the same

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                I will probably be in the minority but I can't use probiotics, they cause stomach cramps and diareah. I also can't eat yogurt or take any digestive enzymes for the same reason.
                I was the same way but started eating stonyfield o'soy yogurt (with probiotics) and it agrees with me.

Comment

Sorry to say, I'd have to conclude then you desperately need them.
                  NutritionTara
                  Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
                    Sorry to say, I'd have to conclude then you desperately need them.
                    Hi Tara,

I may need Probiotics but it is the Probiotics that cause the stomach cramps and diarrhea.

I was told to give Probiotics time and the cramping and diarrhea would diminish or go away...it didn't. I can't live my life with daily stomach cramps and diarrhea I don't have a problem with stomach cramps and/or diarrhea when not using Probiotics.

I did have 3 feet of intestines removed when I was about 2 years old due to Hirshbrungs (sp) Disease and have wondered if that has any bearing
                    Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Hirshbrungs (sp) Disease
                      Hirschsprung's Disease...correct spelling
                      Diagnosed 1984

Comment

I took them for many years and still do. I did change up sometime ago and added more Bifidobacterium longum to what I was taking. There is some evidence that it may be helpful with some autoimmune gut issues, and more that suggests that IBS or similar symptoms can be eased by this. It also is good as it is thought to be the most uneffected by some drugs, including some antibiotics.

Comment

I've been taking them for a while now at my physicians recommendation. Get mine at Trader Joes'. Also cut out almost all dairy as I have a low level milk allergy (enjoy cheese once in awhile). Have had a good deal of improvement with my "gut issues" (cramping, bloating and gas). Not sure what all they are supposed to do but I think they help put healthy bacteria back into the intestines. Am I right?
                          Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Working...
                          X