What are your hobbies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pennstater

Sooo sorry... but i keep thinking of you kayaking round in a circle to the right .

I veer one way if i try and swim in a straight line cause one leg is stronger than the other.

How have you modified stroke?

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
      Have you ever tried mango chutney?
      LOVE it. I used to have it on cheddar cheese sandwiches. It's been a while, thanks for the reminder.

You asked about poetry Carolinemf. I'll find something to share soon, thanks for asking. In the meantime you mentioned your grandmother's passion for poetry and the J. Milton Hayes poem "The Green Eye of the Little Yellow God" (I just looked it up). I wonder if your family still has the tapes of your grandmother.

There's a one-eyed yellow idol to the north of Khatmandu,
      There's a little marble cross below the town;
      There's a broken-hearted woman tends the grave of Mad Carew,And the Yellow God forever gazes down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gr...the_Yellow_God
      All the best, ~G

Comment

OH G you just choked me up.
        I so remember her reciting that.
        Wasn't it made into a song?
        The uncle that taped her passed last year but he did still have them.

I was wondering if you would like to check out Banjo Paterson's 'Man from Snowy River' and let me know what you think? This is A typical of an aus bush poem and the writer was very prolific.

I look forward to reading something of yours.

Comment

Sooo sorry... but i keep thinking of you kayaking round in a circle to the right .

I veer one way if i try and swim in a straight line cause one leg is stronger than the other.

How have you modified stroke?
          Thanks for the laugh. I do go in a circle if I go one for one on strokes. I take an extra stroke on the right before paddling with the left again.

Before I figured out what I needed to do, my husband and I were in a tandem. Talk about a frustrating trip. I gave up and let him do all the work!

I can see where swimming would be the same. Do you swim in a pool with lanes? How do you manage?
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

What is your favourite subject to photograph? Or are you interested in portraits?
            I used to do portraits for my son's preschool, and kids were my favorite subject. Then the kids grew up, so I switched to zoo animals. Just as difficult to get to sit still. 🤣

Landscape is a challenge that I can't yet conquer. They always look like nothing.

Comment

For some reason, following a knitting pattern isn't difficult. I never thought about it, but now that I am 🙂 I realize that all the work is done for us. It's step-by-step instructions with a photo of the completed item. If you make a copy of the pattern, you can mark the rows completed. I guess it's a good hobby for people with short-term memory issues.

I agree with everything you said about needles, too. My straight needles are saved for emotional reasons -I knit my won't baby that nags with them - but they haven't been used in more than 25 years.

Local yarn shops will usually give you free help, too, if you buy your yarn there. They charge for basic lessons, though, I think. But they're very good lessons. YouTube has so many great tutorials. I usually watch a few videos on anything I want to learn. Facebook has some good knitting groups, too.

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
              I imagine if you can paint small objects, you can knit or crochet. If you're really interested in starting to knit, take a class that is usually offered at yarn shops. There are tons of video tutorials if you'd rather go it alone.

Start with a fairly bulkier yarn and one that has an even consistency (rather than nubs etc)
              Use a circular needle - easier to hold on to and less likely to loose.
              Use a wooden larger size needle with the bulkier yarn - the metal ones are way too slippery, although some people love them. I have numb fingers and need the texture of the wood.

Start with a basic scarf!

Comment

Used to love baking.... but some experts have come to the conclusion that its not healthy to eat.
                So haven't done much for a while.

One of my family's favourites is my vanilla slice. I usually make a triple batch instead of birthday cake and it is still lucky if the tray has any left on it by the next dawn.

I have modified many recipes to make the easier for me.
                Even the slice requires me to rope in the help of some one else because i can't do all the repetitive stirring required.
                Home made pickles on corned meat sandwiches . yum.
                Have you ever tried mango chutney?

I used to love to bake and cook too. But all that stirring just wears me out now. Everything takes twice as long as it should to do. There's a saying I keep seeing.. something about "Life is too short... eat the cake".
                Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
                  I used to do portraits for my son's preschool, and kids were my favorite subject. Then the kids grew up, so I switched to zoo animals. Just as difficult to get to sit still. 🤣

Landscape is a challenge that I can't yet conquer. They always look like nothing.

Oh i agree so much about landscapes. I love looking through old photos but why oh why does what i recall as a beautiful panoramic view always seem to turn out so boring.

Have you ever done anything with flora?
                  I did manage to get some lovely close ups of tulips etc in Europe in 2012 that i have been meaning to enlarge and frame for my walls. at least they sit still.

Comment

carolinemf-- I'm with you just sitting and looking at the lake is so relaxing. I sometimes get on the pontoon boat and just sitting and letting the water rock me to sleep.

I play monopoly, just played scattergories for the first time, showed how bad my memory is and I play domino's which I also call a bored game.

I thought about croquet or knitting but don't you have to count stitches? Which I would stay lost because of my memory.
                    God Bless Us All

Comment

On the Water

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
                      carolinemf-- I'm with you just sitting and looking at the lake is so relaxing. I sometimes get on the pontoon boat and just sitting and letting the water rock me to sleep.

I play monopoly, just played scattergories for the first time, showed how bad my memory is and I play domino's which I also call a bored game.

I thought about croquet or knitting but don't you have to count stitches? Which I would stay lost because of my memory.

I still keep fairly busy with my hobbies, but several of them turned into businesses.
                      I have been a woodworker for about 55 years and I still get very absorbed in my various projects. Right now I am building a second canoe (gave the first one to a niece) and I have truly fallen in love with making things on my wood lathe. I also completed a kayak about 12 years ago, but it hasn't been in the water since we moved from Seattle to Texas.

I have done some painting in the last few years. I work with acrylic (it took me several minutes to remember the word "acrylic") and my loving wife paints with watercolor. My tremor is getting bad enough that I don't enjoy it as much but I'm trying to find a technique too.

I also carve, build furniture, and whittle wooden spoons. I know I'm very fortunate to have the resources that allow me the time, tools, and space to do all these things, but I am still fighting the big monster and lose about 2 days out of 3 in recovering from the "fun" things.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. I've been a member for several years but don't participate in the forums much.

Comment

Reg53

I like scattagories but haven't played for a long time. Used to love trival pursuit and other trivia games but they are pretty much out of my league now due to memory.

Would like to recommend 'Cards against Humanity' . This can be so much fun with a group of people. This is a 'play what you have in front of you' game so doesn't challenge memory but does challenge creativity and can give a good belly laugh

Knitting and counting stitches is to much for me too.
                        Long stitch or crosstitch embroidery is more agreeable. Can't loose my place comes with instructions
                        Especially something small like a cushion cover i get to see results and enjoy sooner.
                        Have you ever tried this?

Comment

Flangehead

it took me several minutes to remember the word "acrylic")

In one of my earlier posts i put the word 'hall' should have been 'haul' but i struggled to make sense of the spelling for close to 10 minutes and just gave up!! It's so frustrating!!

I love carved wooden furniture - it is terrible to dust though.
                          A wooden canoe is a big job . You should be justifiably proud of yourself to have acquired your woodworking skills.
                          What type of wood did you use?

Comment

carolinemf, I will check out Cards Against Humanity. I enjoyed doing cross stitch years ago but haven't had any interest since.
                            God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by flangehead View Post
                              I still keep fairly busy with my hobbies, but several of them turned into businesses.
                              I have been a woodworker for about 55 years and I still get very absorbed in my various projects. Right now I am building a second canoe (gave the first one to a niece) and I have truly fallen in love with making things on my wood lathe. I also completed a kayak about 12 years ago, but it hasn't been in the water since we moved from Seattle to Texas.
                              It is truly amazing that you are building your 2nd canoe and built a kayak!!
                              Back in the early 70's my first husband and I built a fiberglass canoe to put in the boundary waters betw. Minnesota and Canada each summer. It was very heavy though and hauling it through portages was a huge challenge.

Where do you plan to use your canoe? Rivers or the Gulf? Or sell it? It's wonderful that you turned your hobby into a business - Good for you!

My now husband and I have sit-on kayaks to use on lakes here. It's one thing I can still do.
                              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

OH G you just choked me up.
                                I so remember her reciting that.
                                Wasn't it made into a song?
                                The uncle that taped her passed last year but he did still have them.

I was wondering if you would like to check out Banjo Paterson's 'Man from Snowy River' and let me know what you think? This is A typical of an aus bush poem and the writer was very prolific.

I look forward to reading something of yours.
                                There is cultural and historic merit in those tapes of your grandma reciting poetry. There are archivists who would probably be very interested in them.

Thank you for mentioning “Man from Snowy River.” I just looked that one up too and it is almost like an epic prose poem! http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/author...try/snowy.html
                                All the best, ~G

Comment

Working...
                                X