What are your hobbies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marti

If I can't sleep I put Hubby's Stargate DVD's on .Its like a lullaby.

Whats one of your favourite shows?

Comment

Mermaid OP

I thought rice was of asian origins?
      Is 'wildrice' indigenous to Mississippi?

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
        Knitting must keep your fingers nimble.. what do you like to knit and who for?
        it's years since i've, knit one, pearl one. I would have to relearn. Do you loose your place?
        Hi Caroline - my knitting is something I took up shortly after I had to retire and I had to relearn how to do it. I've since made mostly some wraps for me, many toy animals for my grandkids, baby blanket and lots of socks. Right now I'm doing some felted projects. It's a challenge for me - not that I loose my place but because my fingers are numb.

I see that you are a gardener like me? What do you grow?
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

REG53

To me the best thing about fishing is the sitting down and enjoying the world around me. Even if i'm not catching anything. My hubby gave me a 'Tadpole' (small inflatable boat) and he and i have used it a few times. its advantages are it will fit in the boot of the car and we can lie down and have a nap while still fishing its so comfy.

What board games do you play?

Comment

It must be nice to curl up under something you made yourself .
            It must be a real challenge with numb fingers. I rarely sew any more because i'm too impatient to deal with some issues that can make it too challenging. you must be much more patient and persevering . i still treasure a baby shawl that my great grandmother knitted with single ply wool. Its very beautiful and large , it must have taken a lot of time to knit.

I have grown everything over the years from herbs and veggies to annual and perennial flowers.
            zuchinnii and tomatos have done well in the past.
            At one stage i had Basil coming up every where because it went to seed.

I tend to have my permanent plants ,hibiscus, agapathus , hippistrums, durantas, ferns and palms and other flowering shrubs etc in the centre of beds and plant annuals and perennials around the border. Petunia's and marigolds , allysium and flox , snapdragons and pansies and few others do well and put on a lovely show.

i love my garden to look like a gaudy show girl.
            I have been rewarded we some lovely comments over the years.
            I havent been as conscientious with my home garden for a few years. But this year I'm determined to be . i need to start planting in March so they will flower all through our winter and then my bulbs can take over in spring

At our farm we have fruit trees (love Mangos) and this year i have put in a small patch of Rough leaf pineapples . They take up to 2 years to bare but i'm in it for the long hall. Need to add a couple mulberry trees next. Yum.
            What veggies do you cook with out of your own garden?

Comment

Myoak

It was strange to read that you have some collectables as fragile as letters dating back as far as 1500s, it always triggers in me the memory that MY COUNTRY is only a couple of hundred years old.
              Are these personal letters or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
                If I can't sleep I put Hubby's Stargate DVD's on .Its like a lullaby.

Whats one of your favourite shows?
                Well, let's see. I've been watching a lot of sitcoms on DVD. "Grounded for Life" "Everybody loves Raymond", "Seinfeld", "Two and a Half Men", "Andy Griffith", "Mom", "Lavern & Shirley".... pretty much anything that makes me laugh and I don't feel guilty about sleeping thru. Meaning, I love the shows, but have seen them over and over so if I miss some it doesn't matter. I either have fun or I get some much needed zzzz's.
                Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Gargantua

Could you give us a small example of one of your poems?

My grand mother loved what is called in aus 'the bush poets' and could recite hundreds of them from memory. She couldn't remember what happened 5 minutes ago but recalled with absolute clarity some thing she had a passion for.An uncle taped many hours and hundreds of poems of her recitations and not once did she read from a book.
                  Its not bush poetry but another she loved was 'the eye of the little yellow god'.

Comment

Lavern and shirley ... saw an episode of that again recently .Still good but that could be nostalgia.
                    Did you ever like Mr Ed? I googled it a while back and it has aged well even the next generation said so.
                    i liked your choices, all except Seinfeld, sorry, hate it.
                    I found a uk sitcom thats amusing yesterday call 'Cuckoo'.
                    its aparently been going for about 6 seasons and is very popular.
                    Let me know if you check it out and what you think.

Comment

Mamabug

Guilt my kids into Scrabble regularly.Google has settled many a discussion about a word. Though i still disagree that I.T. is a word!
                      how do you settle whats legal and whats not?

Discovered 'words with friends' recently and hope they may be more agreeable to playing this with me.

Comment

Cat Mom

Used to love baking.... but some experts have come to the conclusion that its not healthy to eat.
                        So haven't done much for a while.

One of my family's favourites is my vanilla slice. I usually make a triple batch instead of birthday cake and it is still lucky if the tray has any left on it by the next dawn.

I have modified many recipes to make the easier for me.
                        Even the slice requires me to rope in the help of some one else because i can't do all the repetitive stirring required.
                        Home made pickles on corned meat sandwiches . yum.
                        Have you ever tried mango chutney?

Comment

mable

So lovely for you to have your dads memories to be nostalgic over. So many things get lost if they are not recorded.

What kind of art are you interested in?

Maybe the sock draw is speaking to your inner 'Artiste'?

Comment

Great thread. Thanks for starting. Some if my interests/hobbies:
                            • Puzzles - pieces, as well as crossword, suduko, logic puzzles
                            • Coloring. Hand painting small things, like wood boxes, plant stands, flower pots, glass bottles
                            • Learning guitar. Not very good, but great for brain and hand exercise
                            • Like to be in nature. Walk most days, have hiking poles for when fatigued. Also like to kayak in nice weather on calm water. Have adaptd stroke to make up for right arm and hand issues.
                            • Like to read, but with focus issues, my weekly book habit is now quarterly, if I am lucky. Often have to reread.
                            • Starting volunteering at a community outreach center for families in need.

I was thinking of learning to knit or crochet, thinking good for hand dexterity. Anyone have any adaptive tips for those with numb hands?
                            Kathy
                            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                              I was thinking of learning to knit or crochet, thinking good for hand dexterity. Anyone have any adaptive tips for those with numb hands?
                              I imagine if you can paint small objects, you can knit or crochet. If you're really interested in starting to knit, take a class that is usually offered at yarn shops. There are tons of video tutorials if you'd rather go it alone.

Start with a fairly bulkier yarn and one that has an even consistency (rather than nubs etc)
                              Use a circular needle - easier to hold on to and less likely to loose.
                              Use a wooden larger size needle with the bulkier yarn - the metal ones are way too slippery, although some people love them. I have numb fingers and need the texture of the wood.

Start with a basic scarf!
                              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                                I imagine if you can paint small objects, you can knit or crochet. If you're really interested in starting to knit, take a class that is usually offered at yarn shops. There are tons of video tutorials if you'd rather go it alone.

Start with a fairly bulkier yarn and one that has an even consistency (rather than nubs etc)
                                Use a circular needle - easier to hold on to and less likely to loose.
                                Use a wooden larger size needle with the bulkier yarn - the metal ones are way too slippery, although some people love them. I have numb fingers and need the texture of the wood.

Start with a basic scarf!
                                Thanks Seasha. I am left handed, but do a lot with my right. I eat, write, paint, color with left, but do everything else right handed, even things like brushing teeth, slicing/dicing,cutting, throwing, using mouse,etc...

My left hand/arm still ok, but right hand and arm are numb and have lost some dexterity. Last time I had to do the peg test, a full 15 second difference. Lot of trouble picking up with the right. But I keep trying.
                                Kathy
                                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                                X