Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Total Heat Meltdown-Anyone else ever have this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total Heat Meltdown-Anyone else ever have this happen?

Hi all,

My sensitivity to heat has been an ongoing problem from the start. It continues to worsen and I feel best at around 70 degrees and cloudy. Unfortunately, this summer in the northeast is not cooperating with my needs.

For vacation, we traditionally take a road trip (11 hours drive) to my husband's cousins in Western PA where they have houses on a large river. I was feeling a bit jumpy about this, but off I went, knowing how important a trip this is for him and I have always enjoyed it too. There is no a/c and the river is too warm to work as a cool down measure for me. I have cooling vests and collars but they do not help at all.

11 hour drive on Wednesday set me up for failure right from the start. Arrived to 97 degrees and indescribable humidity. Got through Thursday well enough. Staying in one of the cousin's home on the Allegheny River, no A/C and many people, with many many more to arrive Friday and Saturday.

On Friday afternoon had a total MS heat meltdown. It was so stinking hot and humid it was just horrid. I was muddling my way through, doing what ever necessary to keep cool.

But, in the middle of Friday afternoon it was just all too much and I fell apart. Symptoms exploded and along with it I was crying hysterically and just could not stop. Talk about an ugly scene.

I felt like I was radiating heat at that point and efforts with ice, ice water, ice wraps, etc., were all no help. I just needed to get out of there and was bawling my eyes out, "I just want to go home, I need to go home."

And, so I did, with husband and cousin getting me packed up and to the airport and home I am. I have been pretty much sleeping since arriving home Friday night, with a/c on 65.

This was awful, I felt as if I were going to end up in the hospital if I didn't get out of the heat. Now I see I just cannot go out at all in any kind of heat. I am lucky to have central a/c and hobbies and pets to keep me busy and give me company.

Is there anyone else out there who just cannot go out in it? How do you cope with such a long summer of not going anywhere? I'm so very discouraged. I've always been into rustic things--camping, cottages, etc., and now that's not possible.

Even though I just had this meltdown, somehow my knucklehead still has a piece of denial left in there, making me think "it's okay, go ahead outside, it's just for a bit."

hot PA!

I live in PA and am now sitting in the buff as I do on most days. I live alone in an apartment that is surrounded by trees AND I don't have a/c. This is NOT the place to visit in the heat. When I want out I ride an a/c bus or RR. I go out for food and Church only. I am not hospitable and do not want to visit anyone in this heat. I am looking forward to the Fall! My tolerance has increased for the heat and the cold BUT i"m not pushing it. Yesterday it FELT like 115 outside, so they say.
    Positive Possibilities

Comment

In the buff, now that's something I didn't try while at the cousins. :O

Yes, my husband told me that he was glad he got me out of there (I didn't take it personally) on Friday, as yesterday it was 92 degrees and w/humidity factored in felt like 105, and that was at the river, so I'm sure away from there it was brutal.

Do what you can to keep cool and safe. Have you applied for a window a/c unit from your local MS Society chapter? They do have grants for such things. I don't know how you make it through a summer in PA without one.

Comment

I know how you feel.
        I can't go to cookouts and people sometimes don't understand.
        This July has been brutal for me.
        I love my A.C.

Comment

Hi Pats Fan,

Thanks for commiserating with me on my misery. Do you totally fall apart in this manner if you get too hot?

I see you're from MA also, this summer has been relentless. None of the cool fronts that sometimes drop down from the north, and just relentless heat and humidity.

Obviously, I must accept what I've got, that I cannot go out in the heat, period, end of story. Have been inside all today with a/c on 68 and I feel pretty darn good.

Am looking forward to Fall and the start of Pats season! My favorite time of the year.

Comment

I last for about 10 minutes in the heat. After that, I cannot function, physically or mentally.

There is an advantage to living in Florida...there is no place that is not AC'd. So I survive by going from ac'd house to ac'd car to ac'd destination.

Of course, no time spent outdoors (so I turn down invitations to outdoor picnics, weddings, etc.), but still I'm able to go to other's homes w/out worrying about whether they'll have AC or not...it's Florida, of course they will, LOL.

Comment

You sure were a trouper giving this trip a good try! I am head sensitive too, and yes, I would be sick like you. The high temp and humidity are brutal this summer. I don't recall most summers being this awful.

I seem to be OK in the evening when the sun is going down, but going out in the day is not an option. I did attend my son's tennis tournament in May, very hot in Lexington, KY that weekend. I had my sun protective umbrella, rubbed ice cubes all over my body every so often, never stepped into the direct sun. It was hard, but I did make it.

Spent several days recovering from that trip........I am less heat sensitive than I used to be, or I probably would not have attempted that trip at all. I used to go blind in the heat.

I feel like a vampire..........if it wasn't for my tanning lotion, I'd look like one too!

Comment

Well, I guess the saying "Misery loves company" is true for me. I find it comforting to know that I'm not alone, as the way I fell apart on Friday made me feel like I must be totally nuts. Especially the crying part.

I also am usually ok in the evening, and that's when I'll go out in the yard with the dogs and pull weeds and putter around a bit. I have naturally olive skin, so no one has yet mistaken me for a vampire.

Really, it probably would be easier in Florida, where everything is air conditioned! Here in the northeast, air conditioning has usually been reserved for stores and restaurants. Only in recent years has it been getting popular in homes. We downsized 3 years ago for 1 floor living and the first item on the list was air conditioning.

Comment

I really don't know how you all are surviving the heat out east, south or wherever you are!!! I live in the cooler Pacific Northwest and am absolutely miserable when the temps reach the upper 70's! I have a cooling vest, but it only helps so much.

We don't have a need for an AC normally, so I use 2 fans directed my way and I spend my sunny days inside knitting, reading & computer stuff. I miss out on a lot as all my friends love it when it's warm and want to get out in it!!

I guess one get acclimated to either hot or cold temps. I find that as I age, along w/ MS, both heat and cold really affects me more.

Please stay well and cool - all of you!
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Justsayyes View Post
                    I feel like a vampire..........if it wasn't for my tanning lotion, I'd look like one too!
                    Justsayyes - LOL! you made my day!
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Just wanted to add always good to have an icy drink on hand, but really I..........

Vant a bloody-mary!

Comment

Originally posted by HereIam View Post
                        Well, I guess the saying "Misery loves company" is true for me. I find it comforting to know that I'm not alone, as the way I fell apart on Friday made me feel like I must be totally nuts. Especially the crying part.

I also am usually ok in the evening, and that's when I'll go out in the yard with the dogs and pull weeds and putter around a bit. I have naturally olive skin, so no one has yet mistaken me for a vampire.

Really, it probably would be easier in Florida, where everything is air conditioned! Here in the northeast, air conditioning has usually been reserved for stores and restaurants. Only in recent years has it been getting popular in homes. We downsized 3 years ago for 1 floor living and the first item on the list was air conditioning.
                        You are not nuts. I don't know how you lasted as long as you did. I had a come apart like that last summer at a lawnmower race. Got crying and my legs would barely carry me to the car. It is a terrible feeling.

Comment

Had you not gotten out of there....

you could have had an experience like I did.

I too am extremely susceptible to extreme temperatures, but have not had as much of a problem with heat as I do cold. That is until this summer.

Last week I decided to get out early in the morning and take my three kids to Forrest Park to take pictures. We got a later start then I had wanted to, and I just got so wrapped up with taking pictures that we stayed later then I had planned to.

Around 12:15 - 12:30 in the afternoon, my son noticed that I was walking to my right and was leaning the same direction. Of course, my first thought/fear was "Oh **** - I'm having a stroke!" So I get all the kids in the car and drive to my ER 35 minutes away. (Yes, this was stupid I know, but I just kept thinking that in the car with A/C I would feel better.)

The triage nurse classified me as a Level III and I was in the exam room before you can say "these people too think I am having a stroke!" Right side weakness, mentally not as sharp as my new normal, and a wicked headache.

Well, I am happy to report that it wasn't a stroke, but apparently the CT Scan the ER did was enough to prove that it was my MS. My neuro has me on steroids, and honestly, I'm still fighting the headache. I've been tired all week as a result, and my patience is gone.

I now do not leave the house unless it's first thing (before 9 AM) in the morning, or after the sun has gone down at night (after 7 PM). I also don't go unless I'm going in my car where I know I have a/c, and I am actually drinking water (I'm a soda FIEND! I could live on Pibb and Dr. pepper!).

Here's hoping fall comes sooner then my next one!
                          Erin
                          DX RRMS 10/04, SPMS 05/10
                          DMD: Avonex (2/10-5/10) Now on Rebif (6/10) & Gabapentin (1800 mg daily)

Comment

Thank you, thank you for sharing your stories. I really truly needed this support. I've lived my life toughing my way through things. This is not one of the things I can tough my way through, I know that, but in spite of it doubt myself too much.

Ginny, now that I look back over those days I also have no idea how I made it as long as I did before coming unglued. I was constantly drinking ice water (and not peeing, that should have been my first hint), had a towel full of ice on my neck, etc., etc., that's probably what was holding off the inevitable.

Oh, and the crying! What's with that. I couldn't stop, I was simply hysterically crying, "I want to go home, I just want to go home."

Now, Here I Am, in my a/c, in my light pj's, with my 2 dogs and my cat, in my home, sweet, home. I am lucky to have escaped mostly unscathed--Have been having urinary incontinence and waking up in the night with pounding headaches--and also lucky to have been able to afford the flight and taxi trip to my home. Friends have brought in groceries. I will re-emerge when the weather channel reports the arrival of the first cold front dropping down from Canada.

Comment

Yes - I have never had it so bad as this year seems to be. Of course I was only diagnosed 4 years ago - so maybe i am being dramatic? But I agree - I can stand about 10 minutes then my legs get heavier, my feet start dragging and my double vision gets really bad.

Luckily I have started working at home so I am just avoiding getting outside much. Feeling bad about it because that means dh is on his own in the yard - something I really like to do!

Anyway - here I am ..... trying to stay cool in Louisiana! LOL!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X