No announcement yet.

Let's have some fun; stupid thing someone has said about dealing with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

omgosh, I'm glad I read this...some people don't have a clue!! I had the owner of a stainedglass studio tell me "Hmm well if you do have ms you don't have it that bad...you are really lucky most people are confined to a wheelchair" Can you believe it!! Well I'm finding another glass class.

Comment

I got this one tonight from a friend that lives in Norway. "You're MS would be better if you lived here (or any country that has socialized healthcare) because you would get treated better and not have to worry about paying for it."

My response: "Oh really, because your boyfriend is stuck with a psychiatrist that doesn't believe MPD (which he suffers from) exists and he has no choice but to go to this doctor because he was ASSIGNED. At least here I have a choice of doctors, and I don't have to pay because I have both Medicare and Medicaid.

Although I do have to say one point to Norway - the state subsidizes maternity leave. Wish I had that when I had my kids.
      Diagnosis: May, 2008
      Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Made MY Day!!!

Friend's mom: you knew it would happen sooner or late
        Me: Didn't you have something wrong with your colon last year? Did you ever stop s****ing on yourself?
        :[/QUOTE]

I just read this, and cannot stop grinning. I live in the south as well, so I can just picture the look on the woman's face I can also hear the,"ya'll aren't goin' to believe this..."

Now, I can comment on this b/c I was born here, and still live here. I love my home, and even on the hottest days, I don't want to live anywhere else... thus far I actually did live in Canada, for all of 4mos, and really liked it. Based on my experience, what you said could be said there- and the recepient may laugh! But-- not in Ga; am I right?

I have a 13yo daughter too and I so look forward to showing her your post! You've made my day- and a couple of my friends' day also... and they don't have ms

This may be worn out slang by now, but is oh so appropriate here: YOU GO GIRL!!!
        You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

I second that

Originally posted by twisterred View Post
          Me too....
          I had a preacher tell me that because of sin I had this disease. WTF????
          If sin was the reason for MS, EVERYONE would have MS.

Can I get an Amen?
          Okay guys, I was laughing until I came upon this post- forgive me if I come across as negative.
          I don't know how I missed this thread/posts. twisterred, I hope that you read this b/c you surly can get an AMEN! That statement is sooo messed up- not only would everyone have ms... I believe if he was accurate, everyone would likely be terminal.

I'll bet he's one of those who said that HIV was "God's wrath," and blamed it on the gay community? If so, did he have an explanation for the children who contracted the disease? and the hetrosexuals? Sweetie, I really hope that this minister is not YOUR minister. I'm Jewish, and we have much in common with Christians; oh, like we believe in one God?

I know that the Bible is very clear on 2 things: [I]do not judge; and treat everyone with compassion-- especially those who suffer from any affliction.

I learned from a relative that my dad said I brought ms "on myself," b/c, as he put it, I married my 1st husband despite the fact he'd already hit me. So he deduced that I had a predisposition to the disease that PROBABLY WOULD'VE REMAINED DORMANT, had I not been in an abusive marriage for a decade! Forget that it was 18 years ago that I married him.

I know that far too many people blame the victim, b/c they can believe (erroneously) that they are exempt from being stricken with illness, violence, and bad **** that exists in the world. I am just heart broken, that a minister, preacher, rabbi, reverend; etc... could fall into this category. It scares me to know that there are places vulnerable people believe they can go for comfort and support... and hear that their affliction, whatever it is, is b/c of "God's wrath,"???!!! What scares me even more: the poor souls who believe they are suffering b/c of something they did or did not do... and that it's from God.

You, clearly, have a strong sence of self, and a filter that lets you know when what you're hearing is BS[/I. I pray that anyone who reads your post, believing they are being punished by God, will rethink and consider the source. There are so many spiritual leaders who believe in God's Love--- and do not practice nor teach, fear based ideology- well... enough already. Probably said too much; but this is one area I feel quite passionate about.

Love and Light to all... Be Well.]

Comment

Hi Imagine. Now that I think of it......was kinda funny. lol. I haven't heard from that woman again and I bet she'll keep her mouth shut when it comes to me. lol. Where in GA are you? I'm in Henry County.

I'm glad I made your day as well as your friends. lol. My daughter is constantly telling me to hush or just be cool. Hard to be cool when it's still so friggin HOT
            I am a phenomenal woman; and still I rise.

Comment

I made the joke

Went to the zoo with my Dad, Hubby and kids the other day and made a joke I THOUGHT WAS FUNNY...maybe inappropriate but still I thought funny

Zookeeper/Helper Lady says in front of the Flamingos...did you know that Flamingos can make half there bodies go to sleep? Do you know anyone who can do a neat trick like that?

And before anyone can answer she starts to move on...cuz lets be honest most ppl can't do that...BUT...I say, in a rather loud voice with 2 of my kids there and my DAD...

I CAN!! and she LOOKED at me. hehehe (I was in a wheelchair because walking the zoo is to much for me) So to be nice I told her I had MS in a giggle voice (I found myself funny.) Zoo lady goes...oh so sorry. I said its ok But i want to stand on 1 foot and be pink to...she still didn't smile!

isamadjul
              (allyson)
              DX 10/10, JCV postitive by a lot (said Nuero lol), Betaerson, Gilenya, Tecifidera, Aubagio now on Ocerevus

Comment

Originally posted by isamadjul View Post
                Went to the zoo with my Dad, Hubby and kids the other day and made a joke I THOUGHT WAS FUNNY...maybe inappropriate but still I thought funny

Zookeeper/Helper Lady says in front of the Flamingos...did you know that Flamingos can make half there bodies go to sleep? Do you know anyone who can do a neat trick like that?

And before anyone can answer she starts to move on...cuz lets be honest most ppl can't do that...BUT...I say, in a rather loud voice with 2 of my kids there and my DAD...

I CAN!! and she LOOKED at me. hehehe (I was in a wheelchair because walking the zoo is to much for me) So to be nice I told her I had MS in a giggle voice (I found myself funny.) Zoo lady goes...oh so sorry. I said its ok But i want to stand on 1 foot and be pink to...she still didn't smile!

isamadjul
                (allyson)
                Thanks for making me laugh today! This is really funny I'm always glad to hear that we can still laugh and joke about ourselves and our disabilities!! Way to go
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by twisterred View Post
                  Me too....
                  I had a preacher tell me that because of sin I had this disease. WTF????
                  If sin was the reason for MS, EVERYONE would have MS.

Can I get an Amen?
                  Time to get a new church???

Or you could say something slight like; "Wow! If he did this to me , I'd be very worried about what is coming your way."

Is the book of Job in his bible?

Comment

Referring to Sx

1) Oh yeah? I have a ______ (pinched nerve, herniated disk) and tha happens to me too

2) Isn't that what Montel has? He's doing great.

3) Horror stories, ie....did you hear about the woman with MS that was bed ridden and her house caught on fire.....
                    “Never permit a dichotomy to rule your life, a dichotomy in which you hate what you do so you can have pleasure in your spare time. Look for a situation in which your work will give you as much happiness as your spare time.” Pablo Picasso

Comment

on my telling her I had MS - do you want to buy some long term care insurance? (she sells insurance)

Comment

That's what I'm talkin' bout!

Or you could say something slight like; "Wow! If he did this to me , I'd be very worried about what is coming your way."

Is the book of Job in his bible?[/QUOTE]

Now, that's a clever responce

Comment

Thanks for the smiles. The stuff that comes out of peoples mouths

Think positive

Comment

Horse Count

My brother and I went to the movies and I pulled into a handicapped parking spot because I didn't feel like walking.

We were outside the car and I started to stomp my foot on the ground, trying to get feeling in my leg and he said,"Stop stomping your foot on the ground, It looks like something is wrong with you."

I don't think that he finished his sentence before he started to apologize.

Comment

[QUOTE=Spydre;1314443]

My response: "Oh really, because your boyfriend is stuck with a psychiatrist that doesn't believe MPD (which he suffers from) exists and he has no choice but to go to this doctor because he was ASSIGNED. At least here I have a choice of doctors, and I don't have to pay because I have both Medicare and Medicaid.

There are actually many therapists and psychiatrists, right here in the states, who don't believe that MPD is a valid condition-- not that they think the pt is "making it up," but that the disorder is actually Borderline PD.

It's great that you have medicare and medicaid. I get SSDI, and will have medicaire in April. I do not receive medicaid, b/c it was determined that my SSDI, was "too high," to qualify-- despite the fact that my meds are over $7,000.00 per month and that doesn't include the copaxone. My husband has great health insurance; he also owns his own business, so I cannot be on his policy.

I lived in Canada for a year, and I must say, that the immediate coverage I received was great... it was SOMETHING! There are many in my situation, and I think it's insane. Bottom line: penalized for income being too high when able to work... and paying too much in taxes??? I'm on a lot of meds; and despite being determined "disabled," the 1st time I applied, non the less... our income does not exceed 7,000 a month-- as my husband works far less since he's afraid for me to be left alone.

I'm sure your friend meant well-- and maybe she wants her friend to live closer to her

Be Well. Shalom, Suzanne

Comment

There were people taking bets on how soon I would die when I was diagnosed. Some because they wanted my job and others just because they were sick.
                                Probably the dumbest thing was when an intern told me it was okay to cry. I asked him why in the world I should cry? He said most people in my condition cried at first. I told him that my problem had a name and if it has a name it has a treatment (mostly) and there were people in far worse shape than me. This intern told me I had the strangest attitude he had ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                                X