No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi or Fantasy books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the lighter side, David (and Leigh) Eddings are a good choice - the series have several books in them, they're entertaining, and while the series are generally different enough to keep me entertained when I'm looking for light stuff, the work overall is definitely "variations on a theme" which can be tremendously comforting when one is simply looking for a mild distraction without thinking too hard. McCaffrey and Mercedes Lackey (Heralds of Valdemar) would also fit into the light fantasy range

I also love "best of" s/f anthologies and have several ranging from the 70s to 80s, including two of the Ellison-edited Dangerous Visions volumes. Usually pretty easy to find and nice for take-along books because you can finish a story and set it aside without having to try and figure out where you are in the novel next time.

George R.R. Martin has the Wild Cards series - I read "Inside Straight" (an anthology edited by Martin) recently which is the most recent book and absolutely loved it. Thoroughly entertaining, funny, and thought-provoking. I am going to be looking for the rest of the books in the series.

On a weightier note, Martin also has the "Song of Ice and Fire" series, of which I have finished #1 and #2 and am into #3. I have seen this series recommended over and over again, but I was reluctant to embark on it because it's not finished yet and some are wondering whether he will ever finish. However, I picked up #1 and was hopelessly lost. It is engrossing and thrilling and heartbreaking, and the books are HUGE.

Another author I have enjoyed tremendously is John Varley. Millenium is great, very funny in a wry and rather dark way. (NOTHING like the movie.) I also read Wizard, which is kind of in the middle of a series, but haven't found the others in a used bookstore yet. I check every time just in case though.

Jack Vance has a good reputation but I haven't tried any of his stuff yet.

Comment

Sci fi / Fantasy

so- I thought I was a really big sci fi fan. I got a few ideas on this thread. thanks...

Anyway... I'd suggest the Finovar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. Actually, I'd suggest anything he wrote. Tigana is also wonderful. He weaves beautiful worlds with wonderful stories in them.

Also - C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner Series comes to mind for a truly original world. A bit spacy but it's also epic type fantasy... just in space.

Has anyone mentioned Jacqueline Carey? Or Michelle Segara West. Just about anything they write is wonderful as well..

I'd love to hear what you finally chose.

Comment

Oh, yes, I forgot about Kay. I loved the Fionavar books, even though they brought on tears a few times. I didn't enjoy Tigana as much, but still good.

Comment

Richard K. Morgan has a sci-fi trilogy starting with a book called ALTERED CARBON that is one of the best things I've read in the last decade. The premise is that far enough in the future (400 years or so), humans figure out how to put in a 'stack' between the cortex and the spinal column that records your experiences, then when you die by natural causes or misadventure, that stack is simply downloaded to a new, blank one, in a new body, or 'sleeve', as they're called.

Now: How does this affect the work of, say, James Bond?

These books are awesome.

Fantasy?

THE NAME OF THE WIND, by Patrick Rothfuss, blew me away entirely...best fantasy I've read since George R.R. Martin started his SONG OF ICE AND FIRE trilogy (which, ironically, we're waiting for the fifth book on...heh).

Also noteworthy: Joe Abercrombie and his THE FIRST LAW trilogy, as well as his BEST SERVED COLD, an awesome revenge novel set in the same world some time later, and a standalone at that.

ACACIA by David Anthony Durham was dark, complex, and noteworthy. World-building on an epic scale. And convoluted world building, at that! This is the guy who wrote ACTUAL histories of both Troy and Carthage, so he knows how to create a society from scratch, but the human elements are also really, really well done.

In these genres, I don't have any higher recommendations.

Enjoy.

Comment

More

It's fantasy, not Sci-fi, but Neil Gaiman is fabulous. American Gods is a good one to start with. And if you want some erotic political intrigue fantasy, Kushiels Dart by Jacqueline Carey is very good. Most of the authors I thought of similar to Niven have already been recommended by others. Niven is one of my favorites. Oh, this is by no means new, but have you read any Andre Norton?
            Portia

Comment

00000 Name of the Wind!

What a great book NorthernVA mentions!

I'm anxiously awaiting the second one.

Comment

Working...
              X