Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci-Fi or Fantasy books

Hey all,

I'm looking for some light summer books to pass the time. I would love to read some sci-fi or fantasy but do not know many newer authors.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I have read many works from authors like Larry Niven, Robert Jordan, Pohl and of course Tolkien. So, along the lines of those quality of books.

Many thanks,

Arthur
    " An eye for an eye; and soon the whole world is blind" -- Mahatma Ghandi

check out Ender's Game. by Orson Card
    i read this during highschool and it was definitely one of my favorites

Comment

Hi! If you're still looking for good sci-fi books, I thought I would recommend a few. I'm a HUGE sci-fi/alternative world view reader. Charles Stross is one of my favorite authors, but he's really hit or miss - "The Jennifer Morgue" and "Glass House" are two of my favorites. I also read a book by a new author that wasn't classified as sci-fi but really was called "The Gone-Away World" by Nick Harkaway that was really good. Christopher Moore is really funny and funky, but again, hit or miss. "A Dirty Job" and the "Bite Me" trilogy are his best. Hope this gets you started, and let me know if you find any to recommend - I'm always looking for good new reads.

Comment

Just about anything by Heinlein is a good read. Robert Asprin Myth series is enjoyable too it's sort of comedy fantasy. I agree with naurobleachto Enders game is good and there are several follow up books to keep you busy for a while. Pieres Anthony has several good series.
        Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Originally posted by YukonArthur View Post
          I'm looking for some light summer books to pass the time. I would love to read some sci-fi or fantasy but do not know many newer authors.
          Hi Arthur:
          If you want something light and entertaining, I recommend Douglas Adams, although he's not new (in fact, he's dead). Great stories, not too heavy, and hilarious. To wit: "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

Comment

Roger Zelazny. Novels and great short stories.

Comment

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, The Nightside series by Simon Green and just about anything by John Ringo are some of my favorites for light reading.

Comment

Anything Micheal Crichton would be good. Airframe or Prey would be a good first one.

Comment

Check out David Gemmell, he has a large collection of fantasy books. I have them all and have read them all at least 4 times. I also just finished 6 from Melanie Rawn the Dragon Prince trilogy and the Star Scroll trilogy, all six are about the same people, so they are a great read.

Comment

Although it isn't lite, check out Eon by Greg Bear (published in '85?). He did a great job understanding reletivistic physics, multiverses, and the implications. Characters and plot are really really good.
                    In other words, its a wicked cool novel. While its long, it tends to draw you into it.

Comment

Wow, this is wayyyy too weird..

So, I recommended Eon yesterday.
                      I had an appt with my neuro today and had a long wait. While I'm camped in the waiting room I notice they have a book shelf for paperbacks. Front and center is a beat up copy of a book called Eternity. I look closer, the author is Greg Bear.
                      Hmmm...
                      So I check it out, its the sequel to Eon and was pubbed in '89 (I didn't know there a sequel).

Comment

Ted DekKer writes Sci-fi and murder mysteries. I've loved everything he comes out with. Hard to say which ones are better. His circle trilogy is definitely sci-fi. If you don't like murder mysteries stay away from 'blink', 'bonesman daughter', etc.
                        hope you find some good reads!
                        "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

If you're going light, I second Douglas Adams, both his classic Hitchhiker series and his two Dirk Gently mystery novels. I'd also suggest Terry Pratchett.

However, if you're going hardcore sci fi, Frank Herbert's Dune series springs to mind. Certainly not new by any stretch, but it's kinda the sci fi equivalent of the Tolkien's LOTR series. Each book in the series is rather weighty, but well worth the read.

There were 6 novels in the series written by Frank Herbert. Upon his death, his son continued the series with a co-author based on his father's notes for his unfinished 7 novel. I believe he wrote 2 prequels and 2 sequels, finishing out the planned series. That might carry you through the whole year.

Comment

books

I am a big Fantasy fan and have a huge collection. If you like Celtic bases stories, I would recommend Jules Watson's series, " The Dawn Stag, the White Mare, and the Boar Stone". Juliet Marillier has great books too, Celtic based as well.

Jack Whyte has an awesome series on his take of the King Arthur tale (very realistic/historic. It starts with the Romans in Britain leaving).

Charles DeLint - "Riddle of the Wren". One of my all-time favorites.

Anne McCaffery with her Dragonriders of Pern series. This satisfies the fantasy criteria as well as SciFi.

Marion Zimmer Bradley with the "Mists of Avalon" or her Darkover series.

I could go on, but that should be plenty of books for a while as some of those series are pretty long if you get into them.

Comment

Sci-Fi

You might check out Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. More vampire/wereanimal involved but it's a great series!
                              Rae Roy

Comment

Working...
                              X