This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CocoH

Those DO sound delicious. Going to try them with a handful of "rich in antioxitend blueberries" too. (leave out the carrots and sub blueberries). Yum. I'll let ya know how they come out. Don't forget in any of these breads you can also add zest of lemon or orange! If you don't have a zester, use a fork to get the zest off the fruit.
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I am into my veggies. I stir fry some cabbage, onions and grated carrots into the fish along with the bok choy. I usually don't have enough fish to satisfy me so the veggies help. If I have any bean sprouts they go in too!
      Positive Possibilities

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
        Also purchased bulk cous cous, but other than garlic am not sure what to cook with it.
        Its been a while since I made cous cous, but I don't think you cook it. Its just kinda "there". I'd just stuff a pita with cous cous, lettuce, 'maters, olives, capers, and yogurt- maybe add some sardines, etc. You could also use it as a "side" like mashed potatoes. Its pretty versitile but served cold.

Comment

FRESH MOZZARELLA CAPRESE PASTA

Prep time: 15 min
          Cook Time: 20 min
          Serves 6-8

1 pkg (8ox.) fresh mozzarella pearls
          1 pkg (2/3 oz) fresh Basil, leaves torn or thinly sliced (3/4 C)
          2 lbs ripe tomatoes diced (4 C)
          2 or 3 med garlic cloves chopped
          1/3 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
          1 t salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste)
          2 t sugar
          1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
          16 ox linguine
          ---------------------------------------

1. In large serving bowl, toss all ingredients in, except for pasta, till well blended. Cover & let stand at room temp for at least 30 min or up to 2 hrs
          2. Meanwhile heat large covered saucepot of salted water to boiling over high heat. Add pasta and cook as label directs. Drain pasta then toss with tomato mixture until well combined.

Serve with salad and toasted french bread (no butter needed, as you can dunk bread into pasta dish-yum)

This is very good left over, but be sure to bring bowl of it to room temp before eating.

Comment

This is just a sequel to my veggie burger recipe...I found turkey burgers at the supermarket again...had not seen them in a while. I will look next time I am there to see what brand they are. They were in the frozen section.

Fishead

Comment

broccoli with ginger and turmeric

I tried making an "anti-inflamatory" dish broccoli with chopped garlic, turmeric and ginger. Here's the recipe:

Broccoli florets (1 bunch)
              diced ginger root (1 inch)
              chopped garlic (3 cloves or more)
              turmeric (1 -2 tsp or more)
              olive oil (2 TBL)

Heat oil in wok. Put all other ingredients in wok.

Stir fry until broccoli is crisp-tender and all is fragrant.

This would have been perfect, but when all was done and delicious I accidentally turned the wok UP instead of OFF and it burned and was indedible. This turned out to be INFLAMMATORY in more ways than one (my broccoli was inflamed, and so was my temper).

So, I am offering this recipe for the rest of you to try! Let me know,

Comment

Sounds yummy...except for the burning part.

For maximum healthfulness, though, try stir-steaming in a tiny amount of water instead of oil, adding more water as the wok dries out, until the broccoli is crisp-tender. Remove from the heat, then add olive oil to taste.

Comment

lol -- If a recipe has more than 5 ingredients, I probably won't even finish reading it, let alone cook it.

~ Faith
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Fortunately, beingmindful's recipe only has five ingredients.

Comment

Yup. Lol Read it.

~ Faith
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Made “Spice Sweet Potato Burritos” for the first time the other day, and they are filling, healthy, and yummy.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...ml?id=uugjasFF

I did peel, cubed, and microwave the potatoes in a ziplock, instead of their suggestion.
                        It saved a lot of time. (Also I used sea salt.)

Other that that I followed the recipe, because it was my first time making them.

But I looking forward to creating my own version, I’m thinking of doubling the spices, eliminating the lime and broiling the potato cubes and corn to caramelize them.

The lime gives it a little bit of a tropical flavor, and I prefer a stronger Mexican flavor.
                        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

The burrito recipe looks good; I may try it myself!

One question, though. Was the Ziploc bag you used approved for use in the microwave?

According to the USDA, only bags that have passed the test for microwave safety should be used. Other plastic bags (and containers, too) should not be used in the microwave due to the danger of chemicals from the plastic leaching into the food.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post

One question, though. Was the Ziploc bag you used approved for use in the microwave?

Good point, I’m not sure I’ll will have to check.
                            If not I’ll be sure to use a microwaveable container next time.

P.S. Next time I’m also thinking I’ll leave the skin on the potatoes, I figure that may add some texture, flavor and nutrition to the recipe.

P.P.S.
                            My DW made some spinach enchiladas recently, and they where really good.
                            There are lots of recipes out there; I don’t know which one she used, but if you web search I’m sure you will find one that looks good to
                            Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Cajun Style Oven Potatoes

I love these potatoes, they are spicy and not filled with grease.

4 medium potatoes
                              1/4 teaspoon of oregano
                              1/4 teaspoon thyme
                              1 teaspoon of paprika
                              1/8 teaspoon of cayenne (or to tatse)
                              1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
                              1/8-1/4 teaspoon of sugar
                              a pinch of salt
                              1 teaspoon of garlic powder
                              1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
                              1/4 teaspoon of tobasco sauce (or to taste)
                              Olive oil

Mix the dry indgredients into a bowl and add some olive oil until the inmdgredients turn into a paste, put aside for now.

Cut your potatoes into cubes (you dont need to peel them). Heat them in a covered bowl in the microwave for 5 to 10 minutes until they feel parshily cooked. This is important as this will blanche them and make sure they cook all the way through and crispy in the oven.

Heat oven to 400 degrees F.

Take the potatoes and add them to the paste and slip them around in the bowl until they are covered in the paste or you can do this in a bag to make it easier.

Place potatoes on baking sheet covered in aluminum foil and with a slight spray of oil to prevent sticking.

Bake in oven for apx 30 - 40 minutes or until crispy. You can turn once to bornw both sides however I find I do not need to do this in my gas oven.

Serve as is or with a bit of dill or ranch dipping sauce.

**Alternatively you can double the indgredeints for the paste to make even more flavourful potatoes.
                              ~Living and Learning~
                              ....Always check with your doctor, anything I post is based on my life experience

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                                Sounds yummy...except for the burning part.

For maximum healthfulness, though, try stir-steaming in a tiny amount of water instead of oil, adding more water as the wok dries out, until the broccoli is crisp-tender. Remove from the heat, then add olive oil to taste.
                                I have tried your "water method", Sequoia, and it works great. Tonight it was bok choy, red pepper, garlic, ginger, baked tofu cubes (coated with cornstarch and garlic powder), and a little bit of leftover chicken.

I steamed the bok choy as you suggested with the seasonings, then added red pepper and the other ingredients. Over brown rice, it tasted great. (i did add a small bit of canola oil just at the end just for some nice flavor, but didn't stir fry in the oil. I guess leaving oil behind entirely after all these years will be a weaning process.)

Comment

Working...
                                X