This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HEALTHY RECIPES-we can share them you know LOL

Here is a wonderful VEGGIE BURGER recipe, I just made & ate tonight.
    HOME MADE (from scratch) VEGGIE BURGERS:

Yeilds 8 burgers

1 c. water
    1/2 c. Bulgur (wheat bulgur, found in "specialty/organic" section of grocery store, or at Trader Joes or Whole Foods)
    3/4 c old-fashion oats
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 med onion, finely chopped
    10 oz mushrooms, finely chopped
    1/2c. walnuts finely chopped
    3 cloves fresh garlic, crushed with press
    2 carrots, cut up
    1 stalk celery, cut up
    1/4 c. packed fresh parsley
    1/8 tsp dried thyme
    1 lg. egg white
    3 oz. cheddar cheese, grated (1/2 c.)
    Salt & Pepper
    1 t. liquid smoke
    2 shakes cayenne pepper

1. In microwave-safe med. bowl, microwave water & Bulgur on high 5-7 min or until liquid absorbed.
    2. In 12 in. nonstick skillet, toast oats on med 3 min. Transfer to food processor
    3. In skillet, heat oil on med. Add onion, cook 7 min, stir frequently. Add mushrooms, nuts & garlic, cook 8 min or until liquid evaporates.
    4. In food processor with oats, pulse carrot, celery, parsley & thyme until finely chopped. Add egg white, cheddar cheese, bulgur, mushroom mixture & 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper. Pulse until well combined
    5. Scoop 1/2 cup mixture & pat into 3 1/2 inch round patty. Place on waxed paper, repeat till 8 patties formed. Can refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months (do not thaw before cooking).
    6. Spray 12 in. nonstick skillet with cooking spray, heat on med 1 min. Add burgers, cook 10-12 min or until browned, turning once. Serve on "Sandwich Thins", toasted by spraying with "Pam"-butter flavor and grilling/toasting in a separate pan. (Pepperidge Farm makes these). Good with onion slice, lettuce & tomato.

Each serving
    195 calories
    8 g protien
    18 g carbohydrate
    11g total fat (3g saturated fat)
    4 g fiber
    11 mg cholesterol
    230 mg sodium
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Thanks fishead - I am on my way to the store to pick up the bulgur - we have a place that sells it in bulk, so I can just buy what I need for these. I am not use to cooking with it, so don't want to get a whole bag just yet.

I hope more people post more recipies. I love this. Here is a family favorite at our house along the same lines only using tuna:

Mix tuna, cooked rice, onions, flour, salt, pepper, small can of chopped chillies, egg. Pam a pan and add some olive oil and fry up patties. Serve with a cheese sauce if you want. I just add some extra cheese to a can of cheese soup. They also are good cold the next day in a sandwich, and we put them on the sandwich thins too.

Have no idea of the nuturtional values, guessing this is better for you than a hamburger, but if you are on a diet, skip the cheese sauce.

Comment

I like recipes with few ingredients so here is one:

Curried rice
      1/2 cup brown rice
      1 cup broth of choice
      1 tbsp curry powder
      1/2 cup vegetables of choice (I use green beans)
      1/2 cup raisins (optional)
      1/2 cup almonds (optional)

cook rice in broth for about 45 minutes. Add vegetables. Cook additional 5-10 minutes. Stir in curry powder. Add raisins and/or almonds if desired. Sprinkle with pepper.

This is one of my go-to recipes. I love to mix up the vegetables. I don't measure very carefully so the amounts for veggies, raisins, etc may not be accurate. Just play with it until you get it so you like it!

Comment

I like this thread!

I hope this thread really takes off, I’m just getting into eating healthy and still working on creating my own healthy recipes.
        There is never enough time and it always several tries to get it right and time to write it down, so for now I would love to read some.

I’m currently trying to come up with a grilled broccoli recipe, can’t think of a side much healthier then that.
        So far I have learned to steam it for 2 minutes before grilling. I’m thinking I’ll use garlic oil instead of olive oil, with some lemon, pepper, and smoked paprika for starters.
        There is a good grilled broccoli youtube video that has me thinking of using a Cesar style dressing, but I also would love to create an Asian style.
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Here's a simple, good recipe for stir-fried broccoli. We don't grill, so I can't say whether it would work that way.

Mustard Broccoli

Prepare the broccoli. Cut off the thick stems and peel them, then cut into "matchsticks" about the diameter of a pencil. Set aside. Cut the heads into medium-sized florets (not too small or they'll fall apart during cooking).

Put 2 T. olive oil in a large skillet and begin to heat it. Stir in 1 t. dry mustard powder; work quickly, so the mustard doesn't burn. Add the stems and stir-fry briefly over medium high heat. Add the florets and toss thoroughly.

Sprinkle in a small amount of water, cover, turn heat down to medium low, and let steam until barely tender.

Serve right away...overcooked broccoli is yucky!

Comment

Here is a pasta dish I make.

sauté different kinds of peppers onions and tomatoes in olive oil with some garlic until tender, add some frozen shrimp cook a bit and serve over angle hair pasta with grated cheese.
            You only live NOW.
            SX 1999 /DX 2003
            norml.org

Comment

Spinach & Chickpea Coconut Curry

I haven't tried this yet but it sounds wonderful!

1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
              1 can diced tomatoes
              2 medium potatoes, diced into 1-inch cubes, parboiled
              3 cups torn spinach
              5 cloves
              1 1/2 tsp. turmeric
              1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
              3 cloves garlic, minced
              1 can coconut milk

combine ingredients in a pan, bring to a boil, turn down the heat, cover & simmer for 30 minutes. Serve with rice.

Comment

The Coconut Curry recipe sounds wonderful, Coco!

Just one question...what size can of tomatoes, 15 oz or 28 oz (those are the two standard sizes)?

Also, for anyone who's trying to reduce calories &/or fat, coconut milk comes in a low-fat (lite) version. I've found that it doesn't make much difference in the way recipes turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                  Prepare the broccoli. Cut off the thick stems and peel them, then cut into "matchsticks" about the diameter of a pencil. Set aside. ....
                  Sequoia,
                  I LOVE the stems of broccoli!!!! Cant believe people throw them out, when preparing broccoli dishes.

Comment

Sequoia, I believe it's supposed to be a 15 oz. can of tomatoes though the recipe doesn't say & I haven't made the recipe yet.
                    Thanks for the tip on the coconut milk!

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
                      Sequoia,
                      I LOVE the stems of broccoli!!!! Cant believe people throw them out, when preparing broccoli dishes.
                      And the same for asparagus just take a potato peeler to the thick end instead of cutting it off.

Mmmmm! I love the caramelization of vegetables I get from grilling.
                      Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Yes Sir-Vor,
                        ANY veggie, grilled is "fantabulous" in my book.

Comment

Anyone have a "Black Bean Hummus" recipe???

Comment

I tried this one from Melissa D'Arabian on the Food Network and it was pretty good. However, I will note that I am not sure what hummus is "supposed" to taste like - I was looking for a way to use up some leftover beans and thought I'd give this a shot.

# 1 cup cooked black beans
                            # 1 garlic clove, minced
                            # 2 tablespoons olive oil
                            # 2 tablespoons lemon juice
                            # 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
                            # 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
                            # Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Comment

Originally posted by QuickType View Post
                              I tried this one from Melissa D'Arabian on the Food Network and it was pretty good. However, I will note that I am not sure what hummus is "supposed" to taste like - I was looking for a way to use up some leftover beans and thought I'd give this a shot.

# 1 cup cooked black beans
                              # 1 garlic clove, minced
                              # 2 tablespoons olive oil
                              # 2 tablespoons lemon juice
                              # 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
                              # 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
                              # Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

How WAS it, and did you serve it on any type of cracker/crustini/bread? Sounds good in "my book" and heathy, because of the low fat count (salt can be adjusted for those salt sensitive too.

Maybe KARA could give us tips on how to keep these recipes as healthful as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X