Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catching a cold - what's the 1st line of defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catching a cold - what's the 1st line of defense?

A viral cold flu is going around our parts and dh and ds at home have caught it. They have been taking goldenseal and echinacea. I'm am feeling run down and feel the beginnings of what they have. I was told that goldenseal and echinacea are 2 things we shouldn't take if we have MS, so I'm wondering what I can do?? I've upped my Vit. C and am drinking lots of water and hot herbal tea and sleeping lots. Can I take zinc? I do take lots of other supplements, btw.

What do you all do and take? Thanks~ I don't want this thing!!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

I take Echinacea...plenty of it! Dr. Andy Weil feels it's appropriate for MSers to take while the cold/flu is coming on, and while it's acute, but to be stopped as soon thereafter as possible. Any "boosting" of immunity is outweighed by getting a fever over with ASAP.

I also take NAC on a regular basis to ward off colds/flu or to make them lighter if I do get them (according to studies).

Comment

Sparky, I;ve been taking 750mg of C, so I will double this!

Sequoia, I have taken a couple of Echinacea in 2 days....just didn't think I should. What exactly is NAC? Don't think I've heard of it.

Comment

Also wash your hands a lot, keep hands away from eyes/nose/mouth, and stay clear of breath/sneezes of sick folks. Probably common sense, just trying to help. (A cold hits me so hard that I did a column on prevention.) Good health, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          Sequoia, I have taken a couple of Echinacea in 2 days....just didn't think I should. What exactly is NAC? Don't think I've heard of it.
          I take 3 Echinacea at a time, several times a day (per bottle instructions).

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...TYL%20CYSTEINE

Comment

garlic! crush fresh garlic then slice and add to a bowl of soup. i swear it has helped me in the past, when just about to get a cold.
            Katie
            dx rrms: 2/12
            copaxone 3/12 - current
            dx pcos 6/13
            gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

Calcium Lactate and Castor Packs!

advanced: I always have (super high quality) colostrum in my fridge.

I make my clients have it in their arsenals and always travel with it. Sucks to spend your vacation beng ill.
              NutritionTara
              Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! I was able to "nip it in the bud" by taking three Echinacea 3x/day, plus drinking Gypsy Cold Care tea and EmergenC several times a day - plus sleep! All this along with my arsenal of daily supplements. After 3 days, I felt fine!!!

Comment

Evidently, drinking a tea of Apple Cider Vinegar, Honey, Cinnamon and Cayenne Pepper works wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by knuckle View Post
                    Evidently, drinking a tea of Apple Cider Vinegar, Honey, Cinnamon and Cayenne Pepper works wonders.
                    Sounds awful! *gag*
                    But it's not supposed to taste good, right?

But, seriously, how much of each ingredient is used to make the tea? I take it you haven't tried this..?

Comment

My husband drinks something similar at the first sign of a cold; he swears by it.

He can't get the rest of the family to try it, though!

Comment

Originally posted by Abe Munder the Wheeled Wonder View Post
                        Also wash your hands a lot, keep hands away from eyes/nose/mouth, and stay clear of breath/sneezes of sick folks. Probably common sense, just trying to help. (A cold hits me so hard that I did a column on prevention.) Good health, good luck!
                        You beat me to it.
                        While some germs can spread thru the air, most don't. The usual means of transfer is though touch. That's why good old soap and water or a jug of hand sanitizer is so effective.

Comment

Originally posted by rainykatie View Post
                          garlic! crush fresh garlic then slice and add to a bowl of soup. i swear it has helped me in the past, when just about to get a cold.
                          It does help and also ginger and lemon. These are all awesome and the sentiments about honey. Go local and raw with your honey it can kill bacteria! Food as medicine will not always keep you from getting sick, but it can help!

Comment

No more colds

I am 54 and have been dx since 26. I am in the sp stage. I have not had a cold or flu for probably 7 or 8 years. I am not on any crab drugs. One advantage of my ms is that since my immune system is in overdrive, it seems to keep other illnesses away. I don't walk the best but I never miss work. Has anyone else experienced this?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
                              You beat me to it.
                              While some germs can spread thru the air, most don't. The usual means of transfer is though touch. That's why good old soap and water or a jug of hand sanitizer is so effective.
                              Me too!

Also I like the Triple Leaf Tea, Cold & Flu Time tea.
                              Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Working...
                              X