X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
    Interesting discussion.

The history of this thread was a spin off of a weekly Weight loss thread by someone named Karen. She suggested that another member (also a moderator) begin this thread as a companion.

After several years, that moderator left and asked me to take it over. Karen eventually disappeared, due to decline in health, I think and her thread dwindled and ended.

This thread ended, once, too, due to only mods participating. But, after several years, I revived it because the accountability helped me to be motivated to exercise more regularly.
    I think I joined sometime after the 'revival' Mamabug. Thank you for the background perspective!

1. I like the idea of a sub-forum instead of a sticky. I think it used to be that way and someone on the staff changed it. I think it deserves it's own sub-forum. Then, anyone can start a thread, there, at any time. Or "jump in", as Jer suggested. I guess they could, now, too. But I like that.
    All I'm suggesting is a way someone can 'jump-in' with a comment at any time regardless of someones past week goals. That availability allows for a broader scope of comments plus no waiting for someone to start the thread. Note; I'm unsure of the differences 'sticky' and 'sub-forum' sorry.

2. I'm open to a new title, rather than Goalposters. I'm also comfortable with Goalposters. I think that's what we DO --we post exercise goals and results.
    Do we want a different focus? An expanded focus? Exercise as wellness, instead of just setting and reporting exercise goals, with no apparent purpose or reason?
    We began by posting goals and results but the weekly format becomes limited if we don't 'expand' our focus. Exercise is wellness THAT is the purpose and reason. Plus we haven't been weekly in months. Note; I think Goalposters is limiting and status quo ante.

3. I'd love to see more MSWorld members posting here. But I don't know how to encourage /inspire that. I know, from my experience, that lack of regular exercise can trigger MS decline.
    Again exercise is wellness... as you said '...from my experience, that lack of regular exercise can trigger MS decline

A couple of times, in years past, I tried to encourage people to start as a New Year resolution, but that did not attract anyone new.
    This may meet with the same response as you point out in your history, but maybe, like Sasha said '...doing homework and having to keep track of what I did week to week...' will no longer be burdensome, since the discipline aspect is obligatory.

KoKo, I'm looking forward to your comments and any others too.

Comment

I haven't started a Goalposters thread this week? Any additional thoughts. What do we want to do?

Start a sub-forum? Give it a new title?
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Faith, I was thinking KoKo might comment on your / our posts, another's thought and opinion.

I still like the 'comment at any time' aspect regarding ANY exercise related activity in a continuous thread.

AND no waiting for someone to start the thread.

For instance....

Last weeks exercise got me thinking about other positives.... Number one: discipline.

I have had 4 days straight drinking 4 5 oz of water upon getting up in the AM. I saw a few TED talks, came across a few articles... the starting goal appears 8 oz, before meals, 3x a day. Then upward.

Don't know about upward but 3 8s a day seems doable. More hydration is a positive! May lead to more activity?!

Comment

Something like:

Mind, Body, or Spirit Wellness - What is your approach?

Please share how you approach the mental, physical or spiritual aspects of your life for improved well-being.

If you're having trouble in these areas, please feel free to share that with us as well.

By sharing, we can help and support each other on our journeys.
          Last edited by KoKo; 03-26-2024, 09:59 AM.
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
            Something like:

Mind, Body, or Spirit Wellness - What is your approach?

Thanks for the suggestion KoKo!

I like it and wonder what Mamabug will think?

I also believe that Goalposters could or maybe should remain.

Sometimes the 'reference or journal' approach to charting your physical activity serves us well too. But in a MB&S thread, no one bears the responsibility of initiating a post weekly and anyone can jump in anytime.

Thanks again K, hope your week (and the aides) can help with sit-to-stand efforts!

Comment

Hey Jer!

This is just the beginning of our brainstorming!
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I added more to the post.....

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                  I added more to the post.....

So an administrator has the ability to add more to a post after it was published!?

Let's wait for Faith and her comments. I like your suggestion a lot

Jer

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                    So an administrator has the ability to add more to a post after it was published!?
                    Jer
                    Yes, we use the Edit feature.

Comment

OK let's keep brainstorming our ideas.

Don't just use my idea at first blush!

We must not rush into this!

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79
                        I like your suggestion a lot

Jer

I got the idea from you!

Along with the physical, you often mention your mental and spiritual 'exercises' in the Goalposters thread.

Comment

Some good ideas here.

Personally, although I'm not 100% at starting the weekly threas, or reporting, there's still something about the weekly accountability aspect that motivates me to do more than I would otherwise do.

So ... , maybe it doesn't need to be a EITHER / OR. Maybe we can both keep the weekly thread plus add a
                          Mind, Body, or Spirit Wellness - What is your approach? subforum.

I really like the idea of seeing a "wellness" focus at MSWorld, especially here in the Wellness forum. And most members don't contribute here at all. Maybe that would encourage and highlight wellness.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Some good ideas here.

Personally, although I'm not 100% at starting the weekly threas, or reporting, there's still something about the weekly accountability aspect that motivates me to do more than I would otherwise do.

So ... , maybe it doesn't need to be a EITHER / OR. Maybe we can both keep the weekly thread plus add a
                            Mind, Body, or Spirit Wellness - What is your approach? subforum.

I really like the idea of seeing a "wellness" focus at MSWorld, especially here in the Wellness forum. And most members don't contribute here at all. Maybe that would encourage and highlight wellness.

Great, thank you Faith!

I too haven't any problem maintaining both approaches (entry #20), although the initiating of Goalposters weekly thread remains with Mamabug.

Also have no problem with calling continuous thread MB&S or MB&SW.

It's between you and KoKo as to how this happens. Want to add one thing. Upon rereading I like K's suggested wording:

'If you're having trouble in these areas, please feel free to share that with us as well.'

Comment

Seasha will add a Sub-forum next week.

Thanks for all the ideas and sharing your opinions.
                              ~ Faith
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                              X