New name? New format? Goalposters exercise check in 02-22-2024

2x Silver Sneakers
    1x PT at home
    1x bike ride with hubby
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Hi Mamabug!

Good job on your exercises!

How nice that you and Hubby got to ride the bike too!

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hey everyone!

I had PT and OT sessions all week (3 PT sessions and 2 OT sessions).

PT focusing on sit-to-stand and also standing with my walker, taking a few steps.

I was able to stand for 12 minutes today. I am pleased with that.

Of course, I've been concerned that I wouldn't' recover my abilities that were lost from having the UTI.

It is slow-going, but I'm staying positive and hopeful.

OT is focusing on my arm, and trunk / core strength, using weights and resistance bands.

I'll keep on keeping on!

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Looking forward to hearing from Jer, and anyone else!
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        2x Silver Sneakers
        1x PT at home
        1x bike ride with hubby
        Better week!... with a break for a bike trip!... hard to top. Congratulations Mamabug!

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
          Hey everyone!

I had PT and OT sessions all week (3 PT sessions and 2 OT sessions).

PT focusing on sit-to-stand and also standing with my walker, taking a few steps.

I was able to stand for 12 minutes today. I am pleased with that.

Of course, I've been concerned that I wouldn't' recover my abilities that were lost from having the UTI.

It is slow-going, but I'm staying positive and hopeful.

OT is focusing on my arm, and trunk / core strength, using weights and resistance bands.

I'll keep on keeping on!

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Looking forward to hearing from Jer, and anyone else!

Thanks for the positive KoKo, fortitude is at the top of any MSers to do list.

Let us all keep at it as best as one can.

Comment

Well it's been a while writing, so my thoughts are from a different perspective*, perhaps a good thing.

Still doing the same routines but slower with more time spent on quality. A LOT of talking to myself during routines.

I've added a few things that I use to do steadily in 2020 due to Covid 19 closings. Mainly squats. Not even close to reps counted in minutes! Now 20 reps is reasonable. As KoKo said it is slow-going, but I'm staying positive.

All in all the disease progresses. Getting around, not just up-and-down-off-floor at gym, is now very slow. We are only as strong as our weakest link and for me that's my entire right side.

I'm rolling with it so far which cannot be looked at as anything other than a blessing.

* as regarding the different perspective...

May I propose something? That Goalposting no longer be weekly? Drop Goalposters and establish a single continuous thread like the 'Quotes' thread?

I suggest this only because the weekly thread appears to be a burden at times. With starting it.... reporting a goal made... maintaining the right attitude, even adding anything different! Again as K said; we 'trudge' forward.

Goalposters may also appear 'cliquish' ?

I say this because there are others here who exercise but never drop in.

An open, continuous exercise thread for anyone, about anything exercise related. Funny things, work related things, everyday things that are now exercise, even gym stories. Doctor and therapist comments could be useful or maybe funny !

Might help everyone. Thoughts?

Comment

I like your idea, Jer! I once contributed to this thread, but it was like doing homework and having to keep track of what I did week to week was taxing. I'd be willing to weigh in, or not, when I wanted to for your proposed change.
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79
                Goalposters may also appear 'cliquish' ?
                I disagree with this.

Whenever anyone drops by the Goalposter's thread, they receive a super warm welcome, and encouragement to come back. We've always been very kind to anyone who posts!

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                  I like your idea, Jer! I once contributed to this thread, but it was like doing homework and having to keep track of what I did week to week was taxing. I'd be willing to weigh in, or not, when I wanted to for your proposed change.
                  Hi Seasha,

Just an attempt to make it easier for anyone to jump in. Weekly postings, even beginning the thread itself can be a task or 'taxing'.

Some may think they don't do enough to contribute, others may get too detailed (me at times), alienating anyone who is just trying to keep moving. Everyone's different right?

And the idea of including stories may bring some laughter at the very least.... Didn't Readers Digest say something about laughter being the best medicine?

Thanks for your comment S. Hope others on site weigh in, not just Mamabug and KoKo or Bourdeaux....

Everyone has thoughts on exercise, suggestions are welcome!

Comment

I disagree with this.

Whenever anyone drops by the Goalposter's thread, they receive a super warm welcome, and encouragement to come back. We've always been very kind to anyone who posts!

KoKo, I said 'may'.

I don't know anything other than you being a very welcoming person, whether on this thread or anywhere on site.

Comment

Thank you, Jer!

What's a good title for the new 'sticky' thread?

I've got my 'thinking' cap on.

Comment

Thank you,Jer!

What's a good title for the new 'sticky' thread?

I've got my 'thinking' cap on.

Looking forward to Faith (others) comments and opinions but have looked our location on the site. The copy reads as follows;

Wellness is a state of mind / A ​Occupational / therapy and physical therapy / B A place to discuss your experiences and questions about Occupational and / or Physical therapy

Assuming the thread will fall under 'Wellness is a state of mind' (which I love BTW) we should probably use their additional A and B sub-heads as a template....?

Jer

Comment

Jer,

Oh, so you want it to be a Sub-Forum and not a sticky topic like the Graditudes?

Comment

Jer,

Oh, so you want it to be a Sub-Forum and not a sticky topic like the Graditudes?

I'm sorry KoKo. Didn't know the language. The 'Quotes' or the 'Gratitudes' threads are sticky topics! Yes.

Someplace anyone at any time can drop in. Relay their tale / story. Or their exercise routine. Or funny thing related to an activity?

Guessing an administrator or moderation team member starts thread... and then it runs without someone having to start it weekly.

I chose the wordage under Wellness is a State of Mind, only trying to spark a description of potential thread content. Copy suggesting personal experiences as well as professional (like PT or OT), stories on exercise, movement, daily activity or gym related stuff. Even mental games qualify, oui? Tandem biking a la Mamabug too, babysitting or company can be a workout, etc.

Hope this helps My thoughts only, please add as you see fit.

Comment

Interesting discussion.

The history of this thread was a spin off of a weekly Weight loss thread by someone named Karen. She suggested that another member (also a moderator) begin this thread as a companion.

After several years, that moderator left and asked me to take it over. Karen eventually disappeared, due to decline in health, I think and her thread dwindled and ended.

This thread ended, once, too, due to only mods participating. But, after several years, I revived it because the accountability helped me to be motivated to exercise more regularly.

1. I like the idea of a sub-forum instead of a sticky. I think it used to be that way and someone on the staff changed it. I think it deserves it's own sub-forum. Then, anyone can start a thread, there, at any time. Or "jump in", as Jer suggested. I guess they could, now, too. But I like that.

2. I'm open to a new title, rather than Goalposters. I'm also comfortable with Goalposters. I think that's what we DO --we post exercise goals and results.
                              Do we want a different focus? An expanded focus? Exercise as wellness, instead of just setting and reporting exercise goals, with no apparent purpose or reason?

3. I'd love to see more MSWorld members posting here. But I don't know how to encourage /inspire that. I know, from my experience, that lack of regular exercise can trigger MS decline.

A couple of times, in years past, I tried to encourage people to start as a New Year resolution, but that did not attract anyone new.
                              ~ Faith
                              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                              X