Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goalposters 12/30 Check-In

Hi everyone!

Starting our exercise thread for Mamabug while she's in Canada with family. Hope she's having a wonderful vacation!

Check-in and let us know if you managed to achieve some type of physical activity, exercises. or stretches during the week.

Walking, housework, ADL's, etc are all worthy to report. Using / moving our arms or legs is the basic goal.

If you weren't able to move about much, it would be terrific if you report in and let us know how you are doing, in any case.

Wishing everyone a very Healthy and Happy New Year!

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Hi KoKo!

Greetings to Mamabug, (... didn't realize she was on vacation) and to Seasha & Boudreaux too! And a Happy New Year to everyone reading the thread also.

Thanks for starting KoKo, I was thinking about it but you struck when the iron was hot!

This post will be all over the place kind of like the last few weeks, I've been keeping at it....

Some things like stretching have suffered a bit but in an other sense improving!?

I am using a piece of equipment in gym available solely for stretching. It offers flexibility with freedom to adjust bars etc. It has allowed me to position my "bum" arm and hold a pose. This can become a nice welcome relief if held for a few minutes.

The pool work adds the benefit of safety while improving balance & strength. The natural resistance water provides should never be overlooked. If anyone reading this has access to a pool, please look into this.

My comment regarding "...all over the place" refers to my walking as much as the holiday season and all that comes with it. Exploring has meant walking. The only orthotic I use in the high-tops is a lift to make my shorter leg similar in length to my still normal length. So concentration on picking up drop-foot, avoiding swing leg & maintaining a somewhat normal gate (without any peg-leg or hyper knee) has been rewarding. Not always. And very slow gate but still without holding onto a treadmill rail for balance! I am going to say this has promise, requires total concentration, no one attempting conversation, no distractions and I can traverse a fair distance V E R Y slowly. A lagniappe, as Mike would say.

Still adapting to hydraulic equipment. Think the best approach would be to forget trying to guess at weight pressed and begin fresh. The equipment and my own body knowledge will find a workable balance.

That's about it. I'm off to gym now, last go at it for the 2021. Wishing and praying for all of us this coming year. And thank you K for your efforts, advise, suggestions, research in your position as an administrator here at MSW, and as a friend.

Jer

Comment

Hey there Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
      I am using a piece of equipment in gym available solely for stretching. It offers flexibility with freedom to adjust bars etc. It has allowed me to position my "bum" arm and hold a pose. This can become a nice welcome relief if held for a few minutes.

That sounds like a fantastic tool for getting a good stretch!

The pool work adds the benefit of safety while improving balance & strength. The natural resistance water provides should never be overlooked. If anyone reading this has access to a pool, please look into this.

So glad that you have the pool, Jer! Sounds very beneficial.

My comment regarding "...all over the place" refers to my walking as much as the holiday season and all that comes with it. Exploring has meant walking. The only orthotic I use in the high-tops is a lift to make my shorter leg similar in length to my still normal length. So concentration on picking up drop-foot, avoiding swing leg & maintaining a somewhat normal gate (without any peg-leg or hyper knee) has been rewarding. Not always. And very slow gate but still without holding onto a treadmill rail for balance! I am going to say this has promise, requires total concentration, no one attempting conversation, no distractions and I can traverse a fair distance V E R Y slowly. A lagniappe, as Mike would say.

Total concentration is an understatement! Super effort on your part, good for you!

Still adapting to hydraulic equipment. Think the best approach would be to forget trying to guess at weight pressed and begin fresh. The equipment and my own body knowledge will find a workable balance.

I think that's an excellent idea, Jer!

​​​​​​​I appreciate your thoughtfulness, kindness, humor, and wisdom, Jer! Thank you for your presence here in 2021!
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hello everyone!

I achieved my exercise goals, no problem, as they are very doable - not too difficult or tiring!

My week went great. Ate lots of 'fun foods' (aka - not healthy). No ill effects or symptom increase from these fun foods, thankfully. As a matter of fact, I felt/feel no different whatsoever. In any case, back to healthier foods.

Wishing the very best to everyone in the New Year!

My exercise goals for next week will stay the same.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.​

Comment

Working...
        X