X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise Check-In for 08/24/17

Seven people checked in this week.

GOALS REACHED:
    We had a good week; we all made our goals! We should get together and celebrate. Not with food, but with a fun movie or something. Too bad we're spread out all over.

GOALS MISSED:
    None of us didn't make any goals.

OTHER:
    --

Caroline -- glad to see you back! If you're in pain, you might want to consider re-evaluating your goals.

Karen -- Thanks for the reminder about what you do. Wow -- I'm impressed with your dedication to your exercise.

Exercise Tip:
    I don't always feel motivated to look for exercise tips. Feel free to add one, if you wish. Pats on the back if you changed your goal to something that you decided is more appropriate for you. An appropriate goal can motivate you to keep trying.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made 1 goal

Goal was:
    One or both:
    1. Walk 3,000 steps or more 3 or more times per week, or average 2200 steps per day.
    2. Exercise 2 times this week. Could be an exercise class or WiiFit or something else.

Exercised 3x; did not walk enough steps.

Steps plus exercise:
    Th- 2153

F - 2492, Recumbent bike 12 minutes, 1 lap at YMCA
    S - 1292;
    S - 1864
    Mon - 1377; a few hip exercises
    Tue - 1609
    W - 2254; Silver Sneakers class
    Total: 13,041 steps. Average: 1863 steps per day

My sprained toe is improving, but still healing. I'm not taping it to the next toe anymore, and usually that feels OK, so that's probably a good sign because it used to hurt if not taped. It still doesn't "sit" straight with the other toe. I sometimes feel some discomfort in it, but not pain anymore. If I put on shoes to support it, the discomfort goes away.

I've noticed that, some days, I don't have any trouble reaching the 2200 average steps where I set my goal. I think that, in order to meet that, I really can't blame my toe anymore. It is likely simply a matter of motivation and determination.

I've been thinking about the strength that I've lost in my hip. In addition to that, my husband has noticed, in recent months, a change in my gait. And, I've noticed, over the last year or two, reduced physical energy and stamina. I put in a call to my Dr's office -- wondering if I could benefit from physical therapy. I'm waiting for a call back.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I walked over 3000 steps a day for 6 0f the last 7 days (averaged 3766 steps / day) so ONE GOAL MET .
      I did not do any PT or bike this week, but did do yard work on Sat. and shopped on Wen. (and brought everything in and put it away). If that counts as exercise then I met other goal also .

Faith I feel the same lack of motivation that you do - DH's appointments have slowed down from 5-6 a week to less than 3 a month, so I SHOULD have more energy to exercise. But I am finding it harder and harder to keep up with the "have to do's" every day .
      Incidentally my goals are so close to the have to do's that if I forget the egg basket and have to go back for it after I make it all the way to the chicken pen I will make my step goal that day. ANY additional activity I add to the basics gets me at or over goal.

I am hopeful that as cooler weather gets here I will feel more like getting in some exercise, but right now it is like no - just no.

Comment

I made my goal and then some!

Goal for working in my garden and landscape gardens was 2x/week. I made it out there 5x thanks to somewhat cooler temps in the mornings.

My son, dil, grandbaby and their dog (who sheds like crazy) have now all left (after vacation at our home for 7 weeks) for their new home/jobs in Argentina. I manage to clean the guest bedroom and bathroom as part of my bonus for housecleaning. Still so much to do!

Goals for next week:
        Outdoor work in gardens 3x/week
        Yoga
        Barbells - this week I'm upping the reps to 12-15 for each arm.
        Bonus - clean more of the house.

Hope everyone has a good week ahead
        Faith - good idea/plan about going to PT!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I made my goal of exercising 3 days. I rode bike two days and I had some shopping one day and I walked the equivalent of riding my bike and probably more.

msgijo- Yard work and shopping and putting things away, oh yeah, that's exercise.

Mamabug, if you have PT I hope it helps.

Good job meeting your goals.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Made Goal

Hi everyone

Made goal - walk/stand/activity (with rollator) 30 consecutive min, 3X a day, every day - and daily stretches.

I did an extra 30 min up on my feet, each day - so I'm changing my goal to walk/stand/activity (with rollator) for 30 consecutive minutes, 4X a day, every day.

I'm not able to be up on my feet for much more than 30 minutes at a time, but doing that 4X a day seems to be doable.

Keep up the good effort everybody!
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

My doctor referred me to a physical therapist. My appointment is Tuesday.
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Made all my goals again 100%,

I once again made all my goals. Thank you Mamabug for your acknowledgement about my exercise regimen. I know how important it is in maintaining my mobility. Good luck to you with your physical therapy appointment. Best wishes to all of you who are fighting the good fight. Karen

Comment

any update???

Comment

Hi Abby.

We post an Exercise Check-In weekly. It's an open group. New participants are always welcome. Some of us are usually here every week; others come and go or post more sporadically. We really don't have "rules". We simply try to support each other.

We encourage you to set your own exercise goals; you know best what might work for you. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them whenever you wish. Then, the next week, you decide if you accomplished your goal. We ask that you check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and, if your goals change, let us know what your exercise goal is for the next week.

This group "died" a few years ago. At that point, our only posters were moderators who seemed to be simply trying to keep the group going. However, I found that I missed it so I re-started it. Weekly posting helps to keep me accountable to myself and to others. I find that I am more likely to exercise just a little more, because I know that I have to post what I do.

We always welcome new participants!
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

This summer has been more than busy for me. I think I've remembered to check in here, only to find out I haven't.
                      ~sigh~

Hi Abby! Welcome
                      And yes msgijo, all that IS exercise!
                      You all help motivate me to move more!
                      It's State Fair week here, so I really didn't plan anything but that. 2 days so far, 2 days more planned. It's a LOT of walking, my legs are still tingling from today's adventures! First day there I walked 16444 steps, today was 9218 (we had the little grandkids this time). I'd say I did OK.
                      Next week's goals will be a more back to normal for me.
                      7000 a day 5 out of 7 and 3 days on the elliptical. I need to get back on track for my Belt testing!

My knee is at 95% healed. It's been great to be able to take the grandkids to the fair & keep up with them all day.
                      "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
                      Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by TinaP303 View Post
                        This summer has been more than busy for me. I think I've remembered to check in here, only to find out I haven't.
                        ~sigh~

Hi Abby! Welcome
                        And yes msgijo, all that IS exercise!
                        You all help motivate me to move more!
                        It's State Fair week here, so I really didn't plan anything but that. 2 days so far, 2 days more planned. It's a LOT of walking, my legs are still tingling from today's adventures! First day there I walked 16444 steps, today was 9218 (we had the little grandkids this time). I'd say I did OK.
                        Next week's goals will be a more back to normal for me.
                        7000 a day 5 out of 7 and 3 days on the elliptical. I need to get back on track for my Belt testing!

My knee is at 95% healed. It's been great to be able to take the grandkids to the fair & keep up with them all day.
                        Hi Tina

I was just thinking about you yesterday, and wondering if everything was ok.

Glad to see that all is well, and that you're recovering very nicely!

Take Care
                        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
                        X