Exercise thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise thread?

I posted this on the General Board in the member topic for January about exercise. I'd welcome comments here too.

I used to wear a pedometer and usually walked in the range of 2000-3000 steps per day. When I began wearing one again this week, I was under 2000 both days. I wonder if an exercise thread would motivate me again.

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
    We used to have a weekly exercise thread in The Wellness Room. We each just posted what exercise we did each week. It could be anything from walking around the block to doing a 5 mile walk of Wii Fit or going to the gym or doing yoga or whatever. We set our own goals and decided how to monitor and report them.

I found it useful to motivate me to do more than I might have done otherwise because I felt like I was holding myself somewhat accountable.

At one point, our group was fairly active. Here's a link to one of them six years ago.
    http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ROUP-5-27-2010
    We discontinued it because it seemed like, other than a few of us moderators, the participation of others dwindled.

I'm wondering if there's any interest in participating in an exercise thread again.

It was similar to our weekly Weight Loss Checkin thread.
    Here's a link to this week's weight loss thread. http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...32#post1498232
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Faith, An exercise thread may prove useful to many. It IS the first of the year and many make resolutions to loose weight or to get in shape,so ...
    I don't do exercise - too much work , but I do wear a fitness band and monitor my steps each day. So yeah I would post those on an exercise forum.

But hearing about what others do may just motivate me to do more. I know that if anyone talked about stretches I would be interested (my calves get SO stiff).
    And who knows, maybe sometthing else would spark my interest .

I vote yes to an exercise forum. If it is not used then it can always be dropped (sorry techs, I know that it isn't as easy as just typing in exercise forum ).

Comment

Tempting

I'm not really a "joiner" but this one would be tempting for me.
      "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
      Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Exercise Check In Group?

Faith,

I am going to an excellent Physical Therapist who also happens to have MS, so she really understands.

I would join an Excercise Check In group in a heartbeat (or whatever name you pick for the thread).

I bet there would be many people interested. This will keep us all motivated to focus on our exercise plan. Also, interesting and fun to interact with the group.

Thanks for suggesting this!

Alan

Comment

May be just the thing!

Hi Faith,

I like the idea of an exercise thread. It can provide different idea which is what at least I like to have!

I currently go to the gym twice a week and am lucky enough to be in a group of MS people who all exercise together under supervision. We do machines and stretches and exercise in a group with various techniques.

The one other thing that has proven quite helpful is a 2 lb. ball. We toss it in the air sitting straight up, either on the floor with legs straight out or on a chair. Either way it's important to hold the core straight and strong. If anyone is interested, there are more variations on it.

Thanks much Faith for getting this started!

Judy
          Judy Metzler
          Living With MS Since 2003
          "Seize The Moment"

Comment

I'll likely start this on Thursday, and post it every Thursday. That's the day we did it in the past, and the same day as the Weight Loss thread, so it will be easier for me to remember that way.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your interest.
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Link to Exercise Check-In Thread for 01/12/17

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ek-of-01-12-17

I'll post it as a Stickie in The Wellness Room every week.
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

We're still meeting every week. Come and join us!
                http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...n-for-02-16-17
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                X