Help with husband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with husband

Ive been dx for 20yrs. My husband and I have been togther for 9yrs and married for 4yrs now. I have had flares but not bad ones, almost not even noticeable. October of last year and December of last year I had HUGE flares which have left me with permanent disability in my legs, not to mention constant tingling, on and off numbness, constant spasms and tremors.

My dh is always grabbing MS info brochures, etc. but he always hands them directly to me. He says he's getting them for me. He never reads them. He is so confused on what MS is and what it can do, how disabling it can be, etc. I try to talk to him about it but he constantly tells me how he's just worried about taking care of me (financial) and making my life easier so I dont struggle so much.

I think how fast I became disabled blind sided him (and me too). He has become alittle distant with me since my flare ups, and he says its because he doesnt want to hurt me more than I already am (spasms and pain).

I guess Im trying to figure out how I can help him feel calmer or more at peace with whats happening. Maybe thats not the right wording, but hopefully someone will understand what Im trying to say. He does everything because im so limited in what I can do anymore and he's wearing down.

Oh, Sissy, hang in there. Would he consider a caregiver support group? I wonder if he doesn't read the materials because he's scared of what he'll find or perhaps reading about it makes it too real.

Would it help to brainstorm on ways to problem solve his worries? Can you suggest some financial maneuvers to alleviate his anxiety? Sell/downsize? Reduce expenses?

What about couples therapy? I dunno....I don't have any answers. I hope you get back into a groove.
    Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

I can relate

I was dx 28 yrs ago with my husband for 22 . He has never seen me when I had a bad relapse. He does alot around the house to help, but then will tell me how I need to do more because he can't do it all. When what I really need is for him to spend time with me, show me he still cares about me as a person. I don't have an answer, just understanding.

Comment

Hi Sissy

I just got dx and I know for certain my dh would not have read about MS unless I asked him to....when I got home from Phoenix with the dx, I had a book from NMSS about PPMS about 50 pages or so.

We talked a lot the first few days, but I just came out and told him it would mean so much to me if he would read it so he would know what I was going through. How could he refuse right after dx??

He would read a few pages at a time and took him about 2 weeks, but he did it!

I think as women we sometimes forget to just ask for what we need or want! Men don't always know.

Good luck!
        Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
        Ampyra 10mg 2xday
        Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

I would ask him what he needs to help him deal with your "new " situation .....

I like what Jbell wrote- it can work both ways !

"I think as women we sometimes forget to just ask for what we need or want! Men don't always know. "
          Peace ~~ Kat

Comment

Working...
          X