I'm new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new here

Hi! My name is Jacqui and I'm new here. I was diagnosed with MS in March 2012 but have had symptoms since 1990-ish.

On a good day MS affects my balance and my ability to think. On a bad day MS affects everything about my life. For me the hardest thing about MS has been the cognitive problems.

I had pneumococcal meningitis when I was 3. This gave me problems with my hearing and my learning ability. I worked extremely hard all my life to get my brain power where I wanted it and now MS is taking it away from me.

I am having to work longer and harder than ever before and I hate it! I try to always keep a positive attitude but sometimes I can't.

If I start getting too down I remind myself that at least I can still work and learn, maybe not as fast as I once could, but I can still do it. The really scary thing is my neuro, who didn't know me pre MS says that cognitive problems aren't an issue for me. That's BS! Things I used to be able to do in my sleep require intense concentration and effort. People who knew me pre MS can see a huge difference. I miss being a quick thinker and a fast learner.

MS is teaching me patience. I have to learn to be patient with myself and give myself extra time to do things. I used to be able to get up in the morning and be able to get out of the house in 30 min. Now, it takes 2 hrs.

MS has taught me to appreciate more of the little things in life. Like the ability to enjoy the sun on my face on a cool day. My sister can't enjoy that. She has Lupus and if she's out in the sun for more than 5 minutes it throws her into an attack.

I have learned it's o.k. to ask for help if I need it. Receiving help is a blessing to me but, it's also a blessing to the person giving the service.

I ramble way too much. Anyway I look forward to learning and helping where I can on this site.

Jacqui

Hi and a big WELCOME!!! I wish it was for a different reason though.
    Lot of experience with the MonSter on this Forum so look around, there is a heading for cog problems and just about anything to do with M.S. Feel free to ask questions.
    Once again hello !
    PEACE

Tortis

Comment

Hi Jacqui,

Welcome to MS World! We are glad you joined us, but sorry for the reason why. There are many knowledgeable and compassionate folks here, and I hope you will find this site a great source for information and support.

Many of can relate to some of the things you mentioned. As tortis already mentioned, there is a sub forum dedicated to cognitive dysfunction, that can be found in the MS Symptoms forum. Sounds like cognitive issues have hit you pretty hard.

I'm glad you are still finding things to appreciate. Sometimes it takes seeing what someone else can't do to appreciate what we still can!

Accepting help can be very hard for some of us, but you are right. Receiving help can be a blessing not only to us, but also for the other person.

Look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
      X