No announcement yet.

Never give up on your dreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, you can't put people off with positivity. We all walk this lonely road as best we can.

Comment

Congratulations Dr. Pomegranate!

I'm not put off by your positivity, as I am inspired by your achievements. Especially posting here, where we all know that some people have different and very severe forms of MS with cumulative disability in both the cognitive and physical realms, while others have less visible and less cumulatively disabling forms of MS. I am glad you were able to achieve your dreams despite the barriers MS has placed in your way.

For a while I had a family doctor who also had MS. Sometimes in the middle of a relapse she would be on her rolling stool, rolling from exam room to exam room when she couldn't walk, but she was still there. She did eventually have to change to a desk job as an administrator when office practice became too much for her.

We all do the best we can with the hand we are dealt. Even if you are not in the area of veterinary medicine that was your first choice Dr. Pomegranate, I'm sure that you will be a real asset to the world of animal health!

Comment

I am not put off, but thankful that you shared your accomplishments with me. I am so happy for you!!! Your attitude and perseverance encouraged me.

Comment

Oh dear Pomegranate-please don't apologize for sharing your positive approach to it as well as your accomplishments. You did not come across as wanting everyone to do what you do/did.

Myself and lots of others who answered your post really enjoyed reading it and cheering you on. Those who didn't are probably in a bad place MS- wise, I hope they won't be suffering too long.

Lastly, please don't stop posting, you have to tell us what it's like being a Dr.!!!!

Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

positive mental attitude

Sometimes you can't be positive...it's true...sometimes just getting to the point of accepting that you can't be positive all the time is healing. We're human after all.

To be upfront, I do not have MS and I am not a caregiver. I am part of a group of passionate young people in the U.S. who are trying to understand and ask questions and learn about what people living with incurable diseases are dealing with.

I did have a former boyfriend with MS. He is just now completing his MA in English. I can say that because of his MS it literally took him almost 15 years what took the rest of us 6. He never complained, but sometimes writing would even be impossible (and he was an English major) b/c the MS would confuse his thoughts and he couldn't put a sentence together, let alone a 14 page paper.

The point is, I guess, is that it seems for a lot of people, just having that goal, no matter how long it takes, is that little glimmer of hope that is like the reason sometimes to not give up...we all have to have hope.

Comment

MS is not for Wusses

Pomegranate - Congratulations on your success! You have worked hard for it. I tend to be a bit of a Pollyanna and a glass is half full type of gal. I choose to be happy. Like you when MS takes something away from me I try to find a way to get at least a portion of it back.

MS took away your ability to be a dairy vet so now you have fought back and will be a vet just not a dairy vet. You could have given up when you realized you couldn't be exactly what you want to be. Instead you fought back and found a way to become a vet. Kudos to you!

I am having the same type of battles myself. My MS and the symptoms seem to get worse every month. I hate it!!! I have always wanted to be a teacher but because of my health issues and finances it has never been a real option. For a few years I really let that get me down. Then one day I just got tired of feeling sorry for myself and decided that I needed to make the best life I could for myself. So I would never be able to be a full time teacher, so what? There are other ways I can be a teacher.

So now I combine my love of teaching with my love for family history and teach in my church and work in my local family history center when I am able. It's a win win. I get to teach, others get to learn about family history, and I can do it at my own speed. I have now set a goal to become a professional genealogist by the time I have to leave the work force. So I am taking all the free classes and training I can get my hands on and occasionally paying for a class or trading services (I am a very good baker and will often trade cookies for lessons).

I guess what I am trying to say is that we all need to try to come up with a way to do what we love and are passionate about even if we can only do it for 5 -10 min. at a time. We are strong people. We have proven that, because MS is not for Wusses! We are still here. We are still communicating with and supporting each other. We are more than our ability to do various activities. Ms may take away our mobility, memory, balance, dexterity, etc. But, it will never take away who we truly are. We will always be someone's wife, husband, daughter, son, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, cousin, grandparent, grandchild, friend.

Something that has helped me was to talk to a life coach. They were able to help me see beyond what I can't do, to what I CAN do and it has helped me to get my happy back. I sincerely hope that I have not offended anyone. That was not my intention. Wow, this is quite a first post. I'm new here.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

reminded

I was recently reminded that I should have goals.

They do have to be smart.

I was so thankful that I was reminded that I need to have goals even though I am on disability.

I currently can walk. Distances are getting more difficult.

I took care of a bed bound woman with MS before. She had her moments of down. But, she was one of the most positive people for her situation.

Keep it up.
                God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Working...
                X