Never give up on your dreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never give up on your dreams

I'm hoping my story can give some of you some inspiration.

I was diagnosed with RRMS in 2007 while I was back in school getting a second bachelors in order to change careers; I was a musician wanting to realize my childhood dream of becoming a veterinarian.

I was determined to not let this disease hold me back, so I continued on with my plan. I graduated with my BS in Animal Science in 2009 and started veterinary school in 2010. While I had some tough times, especially during my relapses, I never let my MS hold me back. My plan was to become a veterinarian and nothing was going to let me waiver. Having the support of my family definitely helped. My classmates and faculty have also been extremely supportive and even walked with me in the MS walk.

Fast forward to today, and I am 4 weeks away from graduating and being called Doctor.

Good things do happen to us MSers, you just have to choose to look on the bright side and realize your life is still in your hands. MS is just a little bit of a speed bump that just makes you stronger.

Always pursue your dreams, it'll make the bad seem less bad, and the good seem even better!

Congratulations Dr. Pomegranate!

And thank you for sharing your inspiring story that leaves no doubt for others trying to pursue their education that with determination and perseverance dreams do come true!

I am really happy for you and good luck on your journey
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Congratulations Dr! Thanks for sharing your positive message and energy with us. I'm sure you'll be an outstanding Vet, your future furry patients will be lucky to have someone who takes such pride in this accomplishment!

PS... I have a HUGE soft spot for animals, way to go!

Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Yay yay yay!!! That is spectacular news. Congratulations.
        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

God bless you! I hope you'll have a long and rewarding career helping us pet parents care for our "kids".
          Take care, Wiz
          RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Awesome!

Your story is very inspiring, Pomegranate. I hope you continue to post about your accomplishments. My experience with animals has certainly helped me keep my MS at bay until now that I'm 50. Animals definitely keep you healthier longer!
            ---------------
            "It's never crowded along the extra mile." --Dr. Wayne Dyer

Comment

First, let me congratuate you on becoming a Doctor. Good for you.
              I understand that everyone is affected differently, but I take exception to those that think you have to have a good attitude to beat this disease.
              I guess I will be the bad guy and point out these issues:

"I was determined to not let this disease hold me back".
              **** I don't have a choice. I can barely walk now. My determination has no effect on this miserable disease.
              "I never let my MS hold me back".
              ***** Again, I don't have a choice. IT controls me.
              "You just have to choose to look on the bright side".
              ****** Sorry, there is no bright side.
              "MS is just a little bit of a speed bump that just makes you stronger.
              ***** A little bit of a speed bump? This speed bump has totally changed my life, and that of my wife's

Good for those that can still walk 20 miles or go hiking because they have a less severe type of this disease. I have been in a steady decline for four years, and my life is staggering with my cane in to my desk job, and sitting on my couch at home. I don't have a choice, it's all I can do. I can't even stand to change a light bulb.

Sorry to be a "dark cloud", but I am glad to see someone who improves their life. As a dog lover, being a Vet is a great accomplishment.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your congratulations and I'm happy that my story can help some of you I am definitely looking forward to graduation and my future career!

Tomjadg: I'm sorry to hear that your MS has been very hard for you. It is such a tough disease to deal with. I don't want to lessen your disease by any means, but please don't think that me or my husband have had an easy road. While I do have RRMS my attacks aren't benign. I have spent plenty of time using a cane or wheelchair and have had/still have almost every other symptom of MS, and most of them have been while in vet school.

When I was using a cane and wheelchair, I still continued on in school. I just adapted and tried my best to keep a good attitude. Don't get me wrong, I have had plenty of times where I have been depressed and angry because of what MS has done to me, especially during my attacks. I am so thankful for my family and my husband for being my support through my tough times.

I had to come up with different back up plans for what area of veterinary medicine I could work in depending on my lasting symptoms. I was and still am determined to be a veterinarian no matter if I'm wheelchair bound or blind. When I was first diagnosed, I knew that I had to forgo wanting to be a dairy vet, with my weakness, bad balance, incoordination, and fatigue there was no way I can work in such a strenuous field as a full time job. While I'm not going into the area of veterinary medicine that was my top choice, I found a way to work around my MS and still become a vet.

I look at MS as a little bit of a speed bump, because there is always a way around physical limitations. If people who became disabled later in life or people have been disabled all their life can find a way around their disability, still work and have a happy and full life, then so can I and so can you. I know that having MS isn't what you and your wife or me and my husband (I was diagnosed a year after I got married) planned for our lives, but it's not the end of the world.

The trick is not to dwell on it and to find the humor in it.

Since I was shadowing a dairy vet when I was diagnosed and because I love cows, my husband calls my MS, brain cows. When we see the lesions on my MRI, he calls them the cow patties, and when I'm having symptoms he says the cows are mooing. We also find the humor in me dropping things, my balance issues, forgetting things/words, peeing when I laugh, and whatever else we can make fun of. We also definitely take advantage of all the perks of having mobility issues (handicap parking, shorter lines at Disneyland, rolling down hills fast in my wheelchair, etc.) and heat intolerance (discounted electricity, winter vacations, etc), and whatever else my MS lets us take advantage of.

You also need to surrender your mind to the fact that you can't do everything by yourself anymore. I know it is a hard concept to get your brain around, but you just have to do it or else you will drive yourself mad. The people around you really don't mind helping you.

Really, MS isn't the end of your life. It is just a new challenge and a new chapter in this crazy game we are playing.

Comment

You are like the Temple Grandin of MS! I have a degree in art and one in psychology and my dream was to get a BS in biology. I don't think with these cog issues it is feasible, but I admire you working through everything MS dealt you. I am sure you will inspire someone with your story.

Comment

Love it, Tomjadg. Couldn't have said it better myself.

And Pomegranate, genuinely, congratulations. Doing the study to be a vet is, if anything, more complicated that studying medicine for humans, so I know how hard you must have worked and how proud your husband must be.

Comment

Pomegranate, I think it is great that you have been able to pursue your dreams. Congrats!

To address the other side of things, everyone is different and left with different permanent deficits and depending on someone's goals pre-MS, they may never be attainable no matter what accommodations are made or how much positive thinking is involved. Not being negative, just being realistic since goals need to be S.M.A.R.T. = specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, timely.

Comment

Originally posted by misslux View Post
                        just being realistic since goals need to be S.M.A.R.T. = specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, timely.
                        Very well put, misslux and a great reminder!
                        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Congradulations!

I'm glad you were able to accomplish your dream and I hope you have a long and successful career. You mentioned that you look at MS as a little bit of a speed bump, because there is always a way around physical limitations-MS isn't limited to physical limitations. So many (myself included) have had to stop working, change their dreams or stand by and watch them fall apart due to not only the physical but the cognitive changes that occur.

You also mentioned-you just have to choose to look on the bright side and realize your life is still in your hands. I am a pretty positive person but my life isn't in my hands. If it were, I would still be working, I could drive, take care of myself, remember my life, etc. Yes, so many things would be different. I totally understand what Tomjadg is saying. Sometimes things are taken and there isn't a thing you can do to stop it or get it back.

I know you were trying to be positive when you said "really, MS isn't the end of your life. It is just a new challenge and a new chapter in this crazy game we are playing". MS may not be the end of your life, but it certainly is a life changer and a break from this never ending challenge would be nice. No matter how positive I am, it isn't a game.

Truly, I am happy for you and your family and hope that you are able to enjoy your dream always. You certainly worked for it and deserve it.

Comment

I find this thread very interesting. First, congratulations Pomegranate on your academic achievements. It's nice to see that you were able to complete higher education with MS.

I have to say I also completely feel for Tomjadg (hope I got that right, because I can't see the post screen right now).

It's true that MS runs things to a certain extent. Last summer, I was in a huge relapse. I was very positive, no question, but there were many limitations in my life. MANY limitations. I couldn't walk more than a few meters, I was not comfortable leaving the house much, and it took all my energy to get through the day with simple tasks like making lunch, doing a bit of cleaning, washing etc...

I had limited control over my life, and that's just the way it was. No amount of positive thinking could have made my life easier at that point. Fact of life.

I'm not being negative! Just realistic. That being said, I am mostly over that huge flare, and am considering doing a masters of science myself. So I find this thread both inspirational, but it also reminds me to be humble, because MS can take away in a heartbeat, and it can give back (much more slowly) and I am at it's mercy.

Comment

I'm sorry if I put people off or offended you with my positivity. I guess I'm just in a good place right now. I'm more of a living in the moment kind of person and I deal with the bad when it comes my way. I understand MS is different for different people and I'm sorry if I came across that everyone should be/is like me. I just wanted to share my success story despite my MS always trying to trip me up.

Comment

Working...
                              X