Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40mg 3days per week

Hi all,

Has anyone started on Copaxone's new injectable dose of 40 mg, three times per week? I am seriously considering making the switch, but am nervous about the doubling of the med.

Yes, I know the volume is the same, the PH balance is the same and technically, the mannitol will be a lower percentage of the total liquid in one injection. I've been told that the shot reactions and IPIRs are less because injections are fewer per week, month and year.

I would love to hear comments from anyone that has made the switch including those that have actually experienced a 40 mg injection. (Did it worse? Was it a larger site reaction?) Thanks in advance for sharing with this undecided, Copaxone pin cushion.

I have the same questions. I have finally gotten mine switched. I'm supposed to get my 40 today. I haven't had trouble with 20. I'll let you know!

Sara

Comment

I have been taking it for a couple weeks now. There has been little to no difference.

Site reactions have been about the same, maybe a little better, lump-wise. The itch is about the same. All in all, it's been a very positive thing.

Comment

I started the 40 mg injections this week. So far I have only injected twice, so I have limited experience to share.

However, with the two injections that I have taken there does not seem to be any noticeable difference as far as pain, redness, swelling etc.

I would not be able to tell which dosage I was injecting myself with if it were a blind fold experiment. I really like the fact that I have some days that no injections are necessary.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Comment

I want to ditch my 20ml so bad of course my 40 ml arrived just after I started my last box of 20ml. I currently have 11 doses left of the 20ml, knowing that copaxone is $4000.00
          (per my RX pharmacy)a box makes it really hard to just change over before it's all used.

So I will come back in 11+11 days to give my review

Comment

$4000

is that the price for a month's supply of the 40mg copaxone?

Comment

I went to a Shared Solutions seminar on the 40mg dose. There is no copay and they company offers assistance, hope that helps.

Also, I am signing the ppwk in the am for the 40mg dose. I have been on the 20mg for six years and tolerate it extremely well. Praise God!! I am a little nervous about switching, but will post back when I start the new dose next week.

Feedback from others that have started is greatly appreciated!

This is from my post in another thread:

I went to a Shared Solutions seminar last week on the 40mg dose. There were two Teva reps and a neurologist present. These are the main points I gathered:
              -no copay with 40 mg rx
              -this is the best...teva is working on a once a month injection. Yes, true!
              -40mg was tested for seven day a week consecutive usage and no incident
              - if you miss a dose, not a big deal, just take on schedule or even make up day- hence the above point
              - needle and syringe size are the same, can use same autoject
              - site reaction tests were next to identical of 20mg
              - suggested to take with a day between, ie-MWF, but again, if off schedule once or twice not any big deal
              - you save 280 injections per year with this dose
              - reduces risk for site lumps (forgot the real name)
              -the volume of liquid in syringe is the same- only the concentration of medicine is higher
              - basically, the main reason people don't want to switch is because of routine (me included, but after learning more, it's kind of a no brainer)
              - the main reason of in effectiveness of Copaxone is due to patients not taking it, or forgetting to take it
              Last, but not least at all:
              - you have to actually take the medicine for it to work

Another poster made a good point, there is an app for reminders to take shot.
              This is helpful to me also because that was my main reason for not switching- daily routine, I usually don't know what day it is anyway, let alone trying to remember what day to take my shot.
              Not only the shared solutions app for this, but just a reminder on a iPhone or any smartphone is helpful, on the 3 days a week we need to take it.

Hope this helps, blessings to all!
              There is always a rainbow!

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
                is that the price for a month's supply of the 40mg copaxone?
                Yes $4000 per month 40ml per my mail order specialty pharmacy

The rep on the phone quoted this price because I told her that I was not okay with the co-pay of $80 a month. Her point was well you could be paying $4000 instead of $80.

I talked to Shared Solutions so now I pay zero out-of-pocket.

Good luck

Comment

20mg dose is

over $5000 per month.

Comment

The MSRP, so to speak, is the same for both doses. What deal Teva, the insurance company and specialty pharmacies have made is an entirely different thing. Teva won't go down too drastically, but the price will be slightly different depending on the deal made. So different people with different insurances will have similar, but different prices. My pharmacy has the 40mg at $4789.75, the same as the 20mg was, but different from other prices quoted here. All depends on the deal.

Teva's co-pay programs will assist pretty much everyone NOT insured by a government funded programs, such as Medicare, MedicAid and TriCare. I suppose because Teva doesn't receive adequate compensation from those programs for them to justify the loss of the difference when giving the patients the drugs for $35 or less.

Shared Solutions tells everyone who doesn't have a governmentally funded insurance to notify them if their co-pay is higher than $35 so they can take advantage of their copay programs. My copay was $50, so I called and now I get it for free.

The app has been updated for the 40mg dose, but it's iffy. You will get daily refill reminders, because they didn't update that part of the app. Also, when trying to record an injection, you can use an alternate site, but not any alternate site, only the next one in the cycle you've set up. For example, I do top to bottom, right to left. Taking daily injections, Monday would be right arm, Tuesday, the left, Wednesday, the stomach and so on.

This week, I was scheduled for the hips and right thigh. I wanted to switch the left hip and thigh injections, but recording the injection area I wanted was impossible as the only area other than the right thigh it would allow was the left thigh. To do it, I would have to change the injection set up, record the injection then switch it back. Recording a prior injection requires changing the phone's date, recording then changing back. I like the app, but it isn't that flexible. I may go back to the clunky day planner.

Comment

40 stings

I've been on 20 for3 years. Did first 40 tonight & super excited about three times a week, but boy did it sting!!! Maybe it's psychological....I don't know. Did anyone else notice it?

This won't deter me, though. I'm grateful for less shots

Comment

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the 3x per week!!! Did my 2nd dose last night (Monday) and it was sooo wonderful to go the whole weekend without having to do the shots. I almost felt like a normal person and my energy levels were up!
                        The every day wasn't really bothering me, but the 3x per week is just fabulous!
                        BTW, I've noticed no difference in sting.

Comment

a little achy

I've been on the 40mg dose for a week (just took my third dose yesterday). My body feels very achy today which I'm thinking may be a side effect which will hopefully lessen with time (there's no other reason I can think of for feeling achy but, with MS, who knows?). Overall though I will gladly take the 3x a week dosage over the daily doses!

Comment

Originally posted by candycane View Post
                            I've been on 20 for3 years. Did first 40 tonight & super excited about three times a week, but boy did it sting!!! Maybe it's psychological....I don't know. Did anyone else notice it?

This won't deter me, though. I'm grateful for less shots
                            I've noticed a little bit more sting than with the 20 mg dose. Not a huge increase for me though, but I have noticed it also. Still very happy to only inject 3 times a week and do not have second thoughts to making the change.

Ken

Comment

Just switched to the 40mg this week. Same site reaction, small lump and redness. The first injection, Monday, the Shared Solutions nurse came out. Wasn't needed but think TEVA's protocol. She stated what others have posted regarding same syringe, fluid, reactions, or lack of, etc. The first evening I was quite achy but could be due to a very busy weekend and Monday pretty worn out. Took second shot today( Wed.) and feel fine. Very excited about 3x as we travel a bit and taking less shots is a big plus. The off days I feel great, so all in all happy

Comment

Working...
                              X