No announcement yet.

Provigil costs/abuse rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are any of the resources listed under the resources sticky above beneficial for supplying the medications needed for fatigue? There are so many fundraising events for MS, and I know a lot goes to research thank goodness, but there must be some money available to help those caught in the insurance crunch. Has anyone been helped by any of them listed?

I can get my meds from the VA and I just got a generic prescription for Provigil without difficulty. When I was working and had private insurance, Betaseron was provided without a co-pay, they accepted my insurance.

It is sad that people want these drugs who do not suffer with MS like we do. My husband had stage 3 colon cancer, had to have 3 months of daily radiation along with chemo by a pump before surgery. He was in so much pain while trying to have a BM that I would find him on the floor crying that he could not do this anymore. Well, these Fentanyl lollipops were perfect because he could suck on one when he needed it, then wrap it up when the emergency was over. Because of the street value of the Fentanyl lollipops, we had major difficulties getting the prescriptions filled because few drug stores stocked it, and the one that did was not familiar with us, and there were times when they would not fill it.

All because of people and their proclivity to solve problems that are not serious with a pill.

Comment

I put in a call to CephalonCares and if I remember right, they don't assist individuals with any type of prescription drug coverage, even if insurance denies it completely. They also might limit the assistance to FDA approved uses. That's not to say they could have changed their policies by now.
      It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

I have tried Provigil, Nuvigil, Phentermine and Amantadine? for fatigue. Provigil made me silly, or as old people say, giddy! So I used to call it my giddy-up med.

But with all of those drugs, I've found that the best for overall fatigue and getting through the work day is my 64 oz. of Dt. Mt. Dew! I have tried to wean off it once again the last few weeks because I've been called to federal jury duty. Was afraid if I was picked they wouldn't let me have my Dew, and I'd get a terrible caffeine headache.

I've been more tired at work than usual. It happens every time I try to wean off, just drink water, and take Provigil or Nuvigil.

The Dew works best for me!
        Brenda
        Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Provigil

Unfortunately, the Health Care Reform Act does very little to assist with drug costs...

Comment

Update

Well, it's been interesting.

My script was approved and filled -$35 for 30 pills (I was wrong abt the script being for 60) and last Sunday afternoon (probably too late in the day), I took my first dose.

After an hour I felt ... Lighter. Like all this time my head and eyes were weighted down and now that was gone. Didn't feel any different than that, though, and wondered what the big deal was.

I didn't take it Monday and at 4:30pm I crashed pretty hard. Don't know if it was from the Provigil or because I was up late watching the mars landing and just ran out of steam.

Tuesday am, I took my second dose. Didn't feel any effect at all, and by the afternoon I actually started to feel like I was having an out of body experience. That continued til weds when I had a full out attack of vertigo or something else that made me feel disconnected from my body.

So ... I don't think I'll be taking Provigil ever again. Has this happened to others?
            Diagnosed RRMS May 4th, 2009
            thesnakedidit.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
            X