Provigil costs/abuse rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Provigil costs/abuse rant

My neuro wrote me a script for Provigil, 60 pills. I've never used but have been having trouble with fatigue & focus.

The cost was over $1400. With insurance. Apparently they need additional authorization from my neuro. But I have no idea what that will bring the cost to.

I know that Provigil has become known as a new "smart drug" for normal, healthy people (ABC article 6 days ago made it sound like people are using it to code for 12 hours straight or push themselves in high pressure jobs) but now this messes it up for people who need it.

Makes me very very angry.
    Diagnosed RRMS May 4th, 2009
    thesnakedidit.wordpress.com

I looked online & that drug company does have an assistance program. They have guidelines on how much money you can make though. Google "CephalonCares Foundation" for eligibility & how to apply.
    Diagnosed: May 2012
    Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
    Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

I agree with your rant 100%

Mainly, though, I stopped by to give you an idea---have your first script be a "short" one, of maybe 15-20 pills. I know a lot of people who have been able to pay out that co-pay for a long supply and 5 pills into it found out it was not for them.

Comment

I checked my prescription plan online, wanted to see how much it would be for me because I was thinking of speaking to my neuro to get something for fatigue. It did say I needed preauthorization as well. However, it also gave me a generic option for less money. MODAFINIL. You may want to check & see if that would be a cheaper option.
        Diagnosed: May 2012
        Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
        Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

I just got my second refill of the generic Modafinil (sp?). Thank you generic $5 copay.

Comment

I just refilled my Provigil today and it was $1,735 for sixty 200mg pills, brand name at WalMart. By mistake, I had run out so I had to go to the nearby WalMart instead of Walgreen's in the town 50 miles away. Since I was out of Provigil, I did not have the energy to drive that far, and Walmart is less than a mile. They had only the brand name, no generic yet.

My last prescription was around $970 for the same 60 pills, 200 mg each, brand name at Walgreen's. I can't believe the cost nearly doubled in one month. Lucky the copay is $50.

I think the manufacturer jacked the price when Nuvigil came out since it was lower cost, and then patients wouldn't take more expensive Provigil but stay on Nuvugil when generic Provigil (modafinil) became available, thus keeping market share for brand name Nuvigil.

Some companies "pay to delay;" when a competitor threatens to make a cheap generic, the brand name manufacturer pays the maker of the generic to NOT make and sell the generic version!

Don't feel bad about ranting! It is justified. we are the people who suffer while they play their money games.

Comment

As a lower costing (and natural) alternative, you might try 1,000 to 2,000 mg of acetyl L-carnitine and 200 to 400 mg of alpha lipoic acid. Many folks here, including me, have had great success treating fatigue with this combination of anti-oxidants. They are natural substances that your body needs anyway, and there has been scientific evidence to support the theory that they can also help in treating MS.

Do a search for these supplements here and on Google and you'll find a lot of great information about them.

Good luck and hugs,

Lisa
              Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
              Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
              Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Teva (the current drug company that sells generic modafinil) struck a deal in court with Mylan (another drug company) to allow Mylan to sell it as well beginning on August 10, 2012.
                That is a week from now. It will be interesting to see how soon the price comes down once there are TWO companies competing for sales.

Comment

You may laugh, but you know what really works well for fatigue?

Zipfizz

Google it.

Now I take LDN, and Malic Acid, and Acetyl L Carnitine, and Alpha Lipoic Acid, so I don't have a fatigue problem. But if you need a boost Zipfizz is great.

Plus, if you google all the ingredients in Zipfizz, with "multiple sclerosis" you'll find many actually are beneficial to MSers.

$1 a dose and it lasts about 5-6 hours. There is 5-Hour Energy too but it's more expensive and not as healthy for you

Comment

just my 2C

Just my 2 cents (actually free), I thought about provigil when the fatigue became really bad. Actually got the RX and a free sample, but after reading about it, I decided not to go down that road.

Like Knuckle I am on LDN and it has been wonderful for me.

Comment

I would second the suggestion to get a sample first and see if it works for you. It worked well for me (had to break them in half) until I quit smoking. After that, it caused anxiety problems.
                      It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

I had just posted a rant about Provigil a few minutes before you posted this one. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling that way right now.

I am self employed and insurance doesn't cover the medication. I started sobbing when the pharmacist told me the cost. She also mentioned the generic brand, but said it isn't much less since there is only one manufacturer for the generic - they can basically charge what they want to.

I just lost my job (a consulting project I was working on) due to the stress and fatigue. I just couldn't cut because I was so tired...so tired. Then I would sleep the entire weekend.

I was so disappointed - I thought this was my saving grace...but who has that much money.

My naturpath told me not to take the alpha lipoic - it contradicts something else unrelated I'm being treating for - nothing big.

Ritilin makes me tired..

I just want my life back. I remember the days I would run 10k's, work out in the yard all weekend, do all sorts of projects...always on the go. People would comment that I was 'high energy'...I don't have any other neurologic symptoms, so for that I am blessed...the pharmaceutical and insurance in our company is just so frustrating...

Thanks for posting reading my frustrations...

Comment

I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT THE DM MEDS. HOW ARE YOU TO AFFORD THEM, LIVE IN CANADA, NO MEDICAL, AT LEAST A GRAND A MONTH OUT OF POCKET , WHERE ARE SUPPOSED TO LIVE, WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO EAT, IF YOU HAVE NO RESOURSES OR A SUPPORT SYSTEM THAT ONLY SUPPLIES POSTIVE AFFIRMATIOMS YOUR DOOMED.

Comment

I've always thought it odd this medication was FDA approved for shift workers. There isn't a medical condition there to treat.

Years ago when I had more energy and worked nights, guess what worked to get me going? Coffee. I didn't have nearly the fatigue I have now and I can sleep through the effects of coffee these days when it really hits.

How can they justify paying that expense for someone to work when that job doesn't pay as much in premiums every month as the cost of the med? This is especially true when you know coffee could work just as well and be far cheaper.

They must know they're pricing patients of the market for this med. Even the generic producers must know they will lose most US patients on this. Which makes me wonder if it was for patients at all, and may have been more for soldiers at war. It might have been war profiteering and this being their last ditch effort to get as much as they can before the troops are all pulled back from overseas.

That whole shuffling of patents and buying out generic companies, pricing American patients out of the market is all so bizarre. I don't know. It seems like there's more to it than meets the eye. This is a 100% fixed and manipulated market, but all of the motives aren't visible yet. Maybe in ten years we'll know why they've done this.

I'm so disappointed for everyone who was counting on this generic being available and affordable. It makes me wonder where the real supply is going. This stuff can be had from overseas for $60 for a month's supply.
                            It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

I loved Provigil when it was covered by my old insurance. I believe it was $50.00. It's not covered by my new insurance. My sleep schedule's off (may be the heat though), and I have no energy.
                              Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Working...
                              X