Copaxone and hair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone and hair?

I was diagnosed with MS about 6 months ago and my neurologist put me on Rebif. I immediately noticed that my hair started to fall out in clumps. I was taken off Rebif and placed on Copaxone with the hopes that the hair loss would stop. It hasn't. I've been on Copaxone for 2 months and if anything, the hair loss has gotten worse. I am only 18 years old and my hair is extremely thin. I used to have so much hair and now it's all gone. Is this something related to the Copaxone or could it be the MS itself? My neurologist does not seem to give this issue much importance, but I'm extremely worried, especially after hearing that many people lose the majority of their hair because of these medications. Is there something I could do to reduce this? Any supplements or medications out there? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Diagnosed Feb. 2011
    Rebif 3/11-5/11;Copaxone 6/11-10/11;Gilenya 10/11-present

Hi there.
    I have been on copaxone for about 4 years and have never had issues with my hair. I do know that Biotin or Hair Skin & Nails vitamins (founda t CVS or Walgreens) can help with that.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

I have never heard that these meds routinely cause hair loss; where did you get this information? If it is happening on both meds, however, I would investigate whether or not something else is causing it, maybe something that isn't MS.

Comment

found a link from the Mayo Clinic on the relationship between stress and hair loss: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/str...r-loss/AN01442

Sounds like it could be a possibility.

Yogs, meditation, guided meditations (chopra.com) might help.

Comment

hair loss

I have been on copaxone since january 1st 2011 and for the last 6 months i have been losing hair a lot. I took it as my normal "shedding" in the summer time but i'm still losing it and its all the time. I can wash, brush/dry my hair and its tons of hair. I can brush my hair walk away and brush it 5 mins later and i just shed each and every time i brush my hair. I can't find anywhere that is a side effect of copaxon...but i'm not taking anything else.

Comment

Hi!
            I just posted a similar question in the nutrition section. I'm on Copaxone (and have been for several years), and my hair has become so thin. Like you, I started losing hair on Rebif (which is listed as side effect) and steroids. So I thought Copaxone would let my hair regrow. Sadly, it's only gotten worse on the Copaxone. I'm going to check into these suggestions!

Comment

Wow--this is one side effect I must've overlooked! I started Rebif in August and haven't had any problems with hair loss. My hair is super thick and has continued to stay that way. Hope you guys figure out a solution for this because it would sure make me mad if this started happening.

Comment

I made a post about this a couple months ago ("where's my hair?"). My hair has thinned a lot since starting Copaxone.
                "Happiness is a decision"- Michael J. Fox

Comment

posting update: I had hair loss from mid-July til the first week in Oct. It then returned to normal. My first call to SS, they said it was not a side effect. I called a second time, spoke with the pharmacist and yes, it has been recorded as a side effect. My last check-in call, I asked that they officially report my experience.

No, you´re not nuts and yes, for me, it stopped.

Comment

No hair loss on Copaxone here, thank goodess.
                    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                    Anonymous

Comment

I am starting C tomorrow and I pray I do not get the hair loss. I am already going through peri-menopause which causes a bit of shedding.. not too bad though.

So I hope C do not cause hair loss..

Ms. Jay

Comment

Gilenya does the same thing??

My hair loss stopped after I stopped the Copaxone. I have been on Gilenya for 3 months now and the hair loss seems to be returning....I hope it's not associated with the Gilenya because I have been tolerating it pretty well otherwise.
                        Diagnosed Feb. 2011
                        Rebif 3/11-5/11;Copaxone 6/11-10/11;Gilenya 10/11-present

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
                          posting update: I had hair loss from mid-July til the first week in Oct. It then returned to normal. My first call to SS, they said it was not a side effect. I called a second time, spoke with the pharmacist and yes, it has been recorded as a side effect. My last check-in call, I asked that they officially report my experience.

No, you´re not nuts and yes, for me, it stopped.
                          GAH. I had to do that with my Copaxone nausea; the nurses insisted it couldn't be the Copaxone, and when I informed them it was in their prescribing info I was suddenly transferred to the pharmacist who confirmed that while it's a rare side effect, it does happen.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you are in the small group of hair loss patients.

Comment

My doc said

Get extra seliennium in your diet or try to take supplement. It helps the scalp. Also try Nioxin shampoo and Conditioner. My cousin is a hair dresser for 30 years and says it is the best.

Comment

Sorry about the hair loss.

I've been on Copaxone a long time and my hair is the same.
                              My hairdresser says I have more/thicker hair than any other client she has.
                              It drives me crazy somewhat, but I know it would be wrong to complain.

Comment

Working...
                              X