MRI frequency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI frequency

I usually have imaging done annually of the brain, cervical and thoracic regions. New doctor wants to change medications due to new symptoms but doesn't think a new MRI is necessary. Last imaging was about 1 year ago. Anyone have any ideas about this?

I personally wouldn’t be concerned about having another MRI done as I believe that it’s only an after the fact thing. Changing medications seems like your best and maybe only chance. Hopefully it puts it into remission. I’ve had three or four in 14 years and they’ve all just made me feel worse about it all. I looked at one once and then had to look away quickly and would never look again. It is what it is. I think your doctor probably has enough to by.
    It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

If it is time for your annual MRI, I would push for it. If it is not, I would ask the neuro if a new MRI would be beneficial as a baseline to serve as a partial measure of how effective the new DMT is. The other measure would be your symptoms/progression.

I get them annually as well, all without contrast. I have switched meds twice, but both times it was after my annual MRI.

Hope you feel better. Good luck with any decision.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Pennstater,
        Thanks for your response. It was time for my annual but I was seeing a different neurologist closer to home.
        I was bothered by his approach. Very quick to recommend a DMT change without any lab work or new scans.
        I did return to my neurologist. New scans and lots of different lab work was ordered. Nothing seems to be changing
        in the past 5 years. We are treating my symptoms with other medications but not a change in DMT.
        Hopefully I will have some resolution within the next few weeks.
        Thank you again for responding.

Comment

Great to hear! Best wishes going forward.

Comment

Sometimes we do need to travel for a good neuro. Sounds like going back to your prior neuro was a good move. They seem to be thorough with the testing and also treat the patient based in symptoms and just treat based on the MRI.

For what it is worth, I did change DMTs based on symptom progression (new and worsening of old) even though my MRI showed no change. It did help me. So if you do experience progression, it would be worth the discussion with your neuro. I wish there was a straight answer and easy treatment map for each of us.

Hope you do get relief from your symptoms. Take care and thanks for the update.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I have generally had MRI's once every 5 years. More frequently (once or twice a year), in the past year or two, since I went off my Copaxone and am no longer on any DMD's.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

MRI frequency
                Since you have been off of any DMT's Mamabug have you had any problems?

Comment

Working...
                X