I want a baby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a baby!

I could really use some opinions on this...

I will be turning 29 and I feel the my life has taken shape to be right at the perfect spot with my soul mate to bring life into this world. I am the very last of my fathers side to carry the bloodline...I want to have a baby so bad. My family wants me to too..if I think I can handle it.

I was dxed in 09 and have been on Rebif since, up until last Wednesday. Six days.

I went GFCF last July and love it. I am very dedicated to my eating healthy. I am moderately active and extremely adventurous. I really feel I could handle a child. I was blessed in that there really arent any lesions on my spine, but there are some huge ones on my brain. My Dr said this is good sign..that I am less likely to become immobile.

I am so scared. As if having a baby isnt unnerving enough.

My Neuro said I should be off the meds for 6mos. Fine. I can do that. He also said I should let him know and come do additional treatments...like an IV? I don't understand how if you are trying to get "clean" pumping you up with something else is any better. Any thoughts? I dont want a undeveloped child..that would not be good for me.

Also...I have had a dull headache for a couple days now..this scares me even more. Can anyone relate? Can anyone give me any sort of (preferably positive) feedback? Even realistic feedback is appreciated. I am getting off Rebif and I really dont know what to expect. I am so overwhelmed with questions that only a OBGYN who is also specialized in MS could answer. :/

Hi LammyCat,

I'm not sure what questions or advice you are looking for. I can tell you my personal experience with MS and children. I had 2 children after I was diagnosed, they are now 20 & 22.

It is possible to have a relapse during pregnancy or post-partum...some do and some do not. I did not have any problems with MS with either one of my children (during or after). I never had any medication for MS before, during or after pregnancy.

MS does not cause problems such as infertility, miscarriages or put you in a high risk pregnancy category.

Choosing to have or not have children is a very personal decision. If having a child is what you want then that is what you should do
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

my personal decision..

Thank you. Not what I wanted to hear but it is true. This is my very personal decision. I was just looking for someone who has had to make a similar one. Someone who stops treatments to get started on a family.

Its funny because until actually faced with it...you really cant understand the issues at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by LammyCat View Post
        Someone who stops treatments to get started on a family.
        This is an area that I cannot help with. With both of my pregnancies there were no DMDs so I never had to make a decision or be concerned with going off medication.

I am sure someone will come along who has had to make the same choices.

Best wishes in your decisions LammyCat
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi!

Hi LammyCat! I made the decisions to go off my meds (when I was 29, same as you!) to get pregnant. I had been diagnosed with MS for 3 years before my husband and I made the decision to try for a child.
          I will tell you, wait the recommended 6 months before trying for a baby. The interferons have been linked to miscarriage so you definitely want it out of your system before you try.
          I now have 3 beautiful children and am very happy that I made the decision to have kids. They bring so much to my life!
          Also, I did not relapse while pregnant (felt fabulous, actually) but there is an increased risk of relapse in the 6 months after having the baby. I only relapsed after my last baby, not after the first two. I did breastfeed my first for 10 weeks before starting backing on DMD's. With the other two I breastfeed for 6 months each before starting back on my meds.

Best of luck to you!

Comment

Pregnancy

I am going thru the same thing at 32. I'm going to all kinds of lengths though probably uneccessary. We are going to a fertility dr first to make sure we will have no problems conceiving since I had a big relapse after stopping my last medication. They also have a high risk dr in the same office that will see me through the rest of it. My life's dream is to be a mom and ms will not stand in my way.

Good luck to you! I was told pregnancy is the best medicine for ms strangely, but you are subject to a relapse afterward. My ms dr suggested that I start my meds right away after giving birth and formula feed, but every dr is different.
            RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

The good and the bad

Hi! I went off Rebif twice to conceive my son and the baby I'm currently pregnant with - though I was told to go off for 3 months, so that's what I did.

I'm not sure you'll like what I have to say, but you asked so here it is.

I was able bodied and DX'd with RRMS for 5 years before having my son, and I've become significantly more disabled since having him. The speeding up in disease progression has been pronounced, and although I wouldn't trade my son for anything, there is no way I would have conceived another without an exceedingly supportive spouse and financial stability.

Seriously, "carrying on the blood line" and wanting to join your siblings in parenthood will only work if you go into it prepared for a possible change in disease course, you're prepared financially and if you are completely prepared to rely more on your 'soul mate' than you had initially intended.

Sorry to sound like Eeyore, but this disease makes it essential to plan for the worst.

Now that I've got that off my chest, good luck!
              Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Baby

When I was DXd in 2008/2009 my life was in total chaos. I dont want to get into detail, I am a good person with a great upbringing. I was eating nothing but glue and well I know I am in such a different place. I pray mind over matter does me well on this one.

Thank you all for your feedback. I am so scared. I am seeing my obgyn on Monday, hopefully she can give me pointers my male doctor does not feel comfortable talking about. And I have a timeline in the works as how to acheive goals in these next 6mos, hopefully this is will help.

I don't want this "disease" to run my life any longer. My MS has been mild at best..I know my triggers. I am very in tune with myself. I am hoping my life changes for the better have made all the difference. Thank you ladies so much, it hurts me to feel alone but it hurts me more to know that I am not alone...and only because you all have had to face such challenges. I knew women were supposed to be the stronger sex but my goodness I really had no idea until I got here. <3 Thank you.

Comment

Hey there. I am 33and the hubster and I are currently TTC. I am on copaxone and after much discussion with my Dr's, some and some research I have chosen to stay on my copaxone until I know I am pregnant. Then I will stop. I much like you Lammy, so far have very mild MS (thus far) and I have always wanted a family. I have no intention of letting my MS prevent me from doing so. Good luck!!

Comment

I was diagnosed at age 44, so I never had to make the decision whether or not to even have children in the first place. My sons are 20 and 22. IF I had been dx at a younger age, I would have chosen not to have children. Who knows what they will discover about genetic links in the future? My sweetie got fixed after his dx, which happened to be the week his daughter was born.

Best Wishes of course, but so many things need to be considered whether we like it or not.
                    ~Kim in NV~ Dx RRMS on the Spring Equinox 2008 , at age 44. *Aubagio* That which does not kill us only makes us stronger

Comment

Originally posted by ShootingStar63 View Post
                      IF I had been dx at a younger age, I would have chosen not to have children.
                      That would be considered a personal choice based on a MS diagnosis, one you did not have to make.

There are many who are diagnosed young and choose to have children regardless of this disease. I was 24 years old and married when I was diagnosed. We had our children after my diagnosis --- they are the same age as your children.
                      Diagnosed 1984

Comment

My experience

I was given a possible MS diagnosis in 2005 and a final diagnosis in 2009. I have 2 children, one born in 2007 and the second in 2009. I made the decision to wait to start medication after I had my children. Having kids was never a second thought and I LOVE being a mom, but the disease absolutely effects raising my kids. I realize that like with all of life's challenges, we must adapt and adjust.

My doctor did tell me that pregnancy, and most likely exclusive breast feeding can be protective. I nursed both of my children for about 15 months. I started Copaxone after I finished nursing my second.

This is just my experience and as others have said this is a very personal decision. Good look with whatever you decide.

Comment

After reading all the posts I'm not sure what you want advice on (sorry!). But I just felt I should throw my own experience in because maybe it might help. I had my daughter about 3 years after my diagnosis and am currently 36 weeks pregnant with my 2nd. My MS is pretty mild. This means I've only had 4 or 5 relapses in 8 years, but they're pretty bad.

What you have to decide is what are you going to do when you have a 9 month old crawling around the house, you're alone, and he/she poops. How are you going to handle that if you are in the middle of a relapse? For me, I decided I'd figure out a way because my MS doesn't have to stop me, it only changes how I deal with some situations.

When the above example happened with my daughter my left hand was useless but I did my best to change her diaper. This meant she was on the floor, quickly rolled over and crawled away with poo on her behind. I laughed instead of cried. The carpet can be cleaned, I can put a diaper on with one hand (not easy) and life goes on.

There are things that I wish were different because I have MS and am raising a family, but the joy my daughter has brought to my life can never be replaced by anything else so I would do it again, actually I am doing it again and I know it's going to be really hard, but I don't believe it won't be worth it!

I wish you the best and good luck!!
                          Lori
                          Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Fatty liver,

HI everyone, I just had an ultrasound of my stomach done and they told me that I have a fatty liver. I am so scared and dont know what to do. Cant get into my doc until next week. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is this something that can be caused by the dmd's. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

I am in the same boat

I joined this website for the sole purpose of talking to women about pregnancy issues and benefits. I will be 30 tomorrow and was diagnosed with MS 4/8/2011. I have had 5 flare ups, including the one that diagnosed me and the one I am in right now. I am at the point in my life where I feel like I need and want a child. I have an appointment with a high-risk OB next week to talk to him about my medications and risks of relapse, etc. during and after pregnancy.

My big issues are not my MS, though, because I know I can handle it, I know that I will find a way. It is convincing my husband that I will be okay. Yes, I may flare up. Yes, I may not be mobile my entire life. But I may also not have these issues at all. My husband is great and very supportive (most of the time) but he already has me disabled. He is convinced that he WILL have to take care of me and a newborn and doesn't know that he can. Even though, he has NOT had to help me with my MS flares at all, thus far. I still go to work, I am finishing my Masters (graduate in June!) and have been able to keep up on house chores and animal care (we have 3 dogs and 2 cats). I am not sure, besides fear, what makes him feel this way.

I am so sad about this - and in fact we fought about it this morning. I am more afraid that as I get older we are more likely to have issues than I will now. It is nice to hear that most of you did okay with your pregnancies. Did any of you have issues with your spouses, family members, or friends and your decisions/desires/wants/needs to get pregnant?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X