Too embarrassed to tell~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too embarrassed to tell~

I have had MS for 20yrs now but went pretty much symptom free. I would get tiny flares, but nothing worth going to the doctor. Then, this past October changed everything. That flare up changed my life. Im not able to walk by myself, I have to use a walker. I have the tremors, the spasms, the hug, I could go on. My pain and spasms are all day 24/7.

I have now started to lose my bladder. Its like, I will be laying in bed watching tv and go to get up and notice that Ive wet myself. I didnt feel anything. Ive had to change clothes twice now because of this.

The other nite I was going to the bathroom, and I couldnt feel myself going. I just didnt feel anything. I knew I was going of course because I could hear it. I am too embarressed to tell my doctor. I had a hard enough time telling my husband.

I guess I will have too sooner or later, but seems this crappy disease is taking away my dignity too and Im still trying to adjust to going out in public with my walker and riding around in those motorized shopping carts and getting those nasty looks from strangers and all.

Thanx for 'listening'

I have the exact same problem. If I can't hear it then I don't know if I'm doing anything or not.
    Diagnosed December 20, 2011
    Avonex: February 10, 2012 - March 16, 2013
    Tysabri: June 28, 2013 - May 23, 2014
    Betaseron: August 15, 2014 - March 10, 2015
    Aubagio: June 18, 2015 - current

Comment

I kept my independence for about 15 years. My flare in 09 took away my ability to walk without a walker too. I've been trying to rehab myself ever since. Sometimes I feel better but the walking/balance problems continue. I also am need to move this year. Gonna go on my own for the first time in almost 10 years. I'm scared so I'm trying to arrange for a aid 2-3 times a week.

Wondering how I going to establish new relationships/ friends.
      [I]Tellnhelen
      Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

I am not this bad yet I do have problems with my bladder, mine is jbust can't make it in time or in the middle of the nite having to get up and change also. My doc has suggested taking my blood pressure pill in the mornings so I will be trying this week to see if that helps some
        Anita

Comment

Sometimes topics are difficult to talk about with the doctor, and I have found that telling the nurse when she
          takes you back to the room that this something you need to speak with the doctor about can help. She can catch the dr before they come in the room and that also gives your doc a chance to review your chart specifically for info on your meds, history, etc. that could impact their suggestion for tx. I also have had an uncooperative bladder for years....sometimes just little leaks that I dont feel and am unaware of until I go to use the bathroom and as soon as I get my panties down I catch the odor of urine. So I wear pantiliners with odor control and carry some of those individual feminine cleansing wipes....the kind that are individually packaged like a "wash n dry" and that does the trick. Also keep a spare pair lightweight panties in the zipper compartment of purse just in case as well.
          Went to see urologist and she was great. told me that this could be caused by bladder spasms...put me on Vesicare and I have seen tremendous improvement...
          Remember you are the primary member of your health team. You need to provide them with all the info you can so that they can prescribe the best course of treatment.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!
          Eileenb
          "If it is to be it is up to me" Gertrude Tyne

Comment

Foley/suprapubic catheters

Yeah, I can empathize since my dear wife had similar issues. She finally had a Foley Catheter installed which cured the leakage problem but was then subjected to many years of urinary tract infections! This ultimately lead to the next option - a suprapubic catheter placed directly into her bladder. There are maintenance issues associated with either of these options - regular cleansing and monthly catheter changes. If you're planning a trip be sure to either take spares or, memorize the size and amount of fluid in "bulb" end of the catheter - check all the hospitals in the area you will be visiting to see whether they will accept your particular insurance coverage. And, since your hubby married you "In sickness and in health" these are just words so actions speak louder - SHARE EVERYTHING WITH HIM! My dear wife, Pammy, of 37 years passed away in November, 2011, and it was my honor and privilege to be her caregiver as well as to be by her side, holding her hand, and taking her to the gates of heaven. I know that she would want me to pass along the benefit of my experience to help others.

Comment

I had this problem for YEARS and wouldn't tell anyone (including my docs) about it. Finally I said "yes" when the neuro asked about bladder symptoms. I had always assumed it was a weak sphincter after having kids.

He sent me to a Urologist who put me on Detrol. It is my miracle drug. I don't leak anymore and can hold it long enough to pull down my pants and get my fat butt on the porcelain (sp?) throne.

Oh, and it also helps with my incontinence from the other side. I haven't told the docs about that either.

And I am a nurse
              Jodi
              "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude". Maya Angelou

Comment

Tch, tch, Nursefairy!

Ahoy Nursefairy!
                Shame on you for withholding medical details about yourself - and you a nurse too! You're on "Captain's Mast" (Naval disciplinary action), and I'll have you cleaning toilets!
                Joking apart, my Pammy didn't feel comfortable with a male urologist and oftentimes left it to me to provide all the detailed information. Things changed completely after I "ordered" her to see a female urologist and what followed was a complete transformation - the ladies would kick me out of the room for a more intimate chat!
                Afterwards my Pammy would accuse me of being a "control freak" but her smile said otherwise - she was happy to comply with the "forced" change!
                Sadly, things would go downhill whenever she was admitted to a hospital affiliated to Kaiser Permanente and result in a breakdown in communications between the Kaiser doctors and Her urologist regarding them not sharing information to the extent they should have. The prime example was on her final hospitalization was informed that she had "A bad infection" to later finding out she had stage 2 Sepsis!!!! Pammy's urologist would have "heated" conversations with the (two) Kaiser doctors who ultimately misdiagnosed her condition - didn't hear the word "cancer" until AFTER she passed away! With my grief/anger at her misdiagnosis it was a good thing I didn't have my side arm with me otherwise God only knows what would have followed.
                That said, I would respectfully advise you to consider the option of obtaining a second or third opinion because it's YOUR health that is of utmost importance - more so if your HMO is Kaiser!

Comment

Working...
                X