Eating/Nor Eating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eating/Nor Eating

I've been off work on disability since April due to fatigue, dizziness, balance issues and leg weakness. While working I had a daily schedule and ate more regular, nutritionally sound meals. Now...….I just eat what is quick and easy to prepare. I usually eat only breakfast OR lunch, and then dinner which my husband helps me prepare. Does anyone have suggestions about how I can do a better job of eating more nutritionally sound meals? I see this becoming a downward spiral.....the less I eat, the less I want to eat. I'm sure better nutrition would help me feel better.

I do keep a few Smart Ones in the freezer just in case, and prepare extra portions for dinner to have leftovers. I'm really disappointed with myself over this whole eating/meal preparation issue. I used to be a great cook, spending hours on the weekend cooking and baking for a large family and their friends before MS. Thank you for any ideas/tips that have worked for you.

I pretty much quit cooking awhile back. My husband was extremely sick and wasn't eating much and I don't eat much either. So I hated to make a whole meal and throw most of it away.

I do drink Ensure a lot. I guess I fool myself into thinking it's healthy for me and I'm getting my nutrition through the shakes. I take vitamins when I think of it and eat quick easy stuff from the grocery store or the quick, easy, crap from fast food.

Probably not the best choices, but I'm alive and not losing weight.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I always keep Greek yogurt on hand with either fruit or granola to add in.

I try to keep cut up veggies and lettuce as well, with some chicken, tuna, cheese, beans or hard boiled egg or other protein to add to a salad. If not up for chopping, a lot of markets have pre cut veggies, bagged salad greens, and cooked chickens.

Now that fall is coming, we will make some soups and freeze in Mason jars designed for freezer. I can take one out and get 2-3 servings. I just make sure to have some broth or bouillon cubes around in case I need to add some liquid to it. Sometimes, noodles will absorb more fluid when frozen if used. Also can do the same with chili.

Other than that, we do make extra when we cook so that we can have another meal that week or freeze in single servings. Likewise, if use the Crock-Pot for stews, roast, etc...

And when really not up for anything, always have peanut butter on hand. Will use with whole grain breads, an apple, or crackers. Not exciting, but the protein helps.

Hopefully others will have some good tips.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Canary54

Originally posted by Canary54 View Post
        Now...….I just eat what is quick and easy to prepare. I usually eat only breakfast OR lunch, and then dinner which my husband helps me prepare. Does anyone have suggestions about how I can do a better job of eating more nutritionally sound meals?
        Eating what is quick and easy to prepare is not all bad, as long as you are choosing nutrient-dense foods.

I don't spend a lot of time cooking, nor do I eat a lot, so what I do eat needs to have healthful nutrients - protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, omega 3 healthy fats, etc.

The foods that I choose, easy to prepare and nutrient-dense, include:

fruits and vegetables - I eat a lot of berries and spinach, but also any other easy to prepare such as tomatoes, peppers, sweet potatoes, frozen brussel sprouts, frozen asparagus, etc. (I drizzle olive oil on most vegetables)

whole grains - whole grain brown rice, high fiber whole grain seeded bread, whole grain pasta

oily seafood - sardines, salmon, tuna, (quality protein, high in omega 3 fats,)

beans and other legumes (lentils, peas, etc.) (fiber, protein, folate, magnesium, potassium, iron)

nuts, nut butters (healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, fiber - peanut butter high protein)

fat free Greek yogurt (excellent for protein, calcium, probiotics)

eggs (quality protein, selenium (brain nutrients), many other vitamins and minerals)

I don't purchase meats or poultry (expense, preparation), but if someone in the family prepares and cooks a dish with them and brings over to me, I eat and enjoy!

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I know the feeling..

Hi Canary54,

I'm also bad at eating and trying to do more. I've recently quit dairy and gluten, which does make me feel better though doesn't do much for my mobility—it also limits my food further. Plus I'm still working but I work mostly alone and so remembering to eat is difficult.

You've gotten great advice so far; I'd just add the following:
          - if you do Greek yogurt, go for full-fat. You're clearly going to use the nutrients, and the chemicals to make it low-fat are alarming. And full-fat tastes better.

- I ask my husband to hardboil a bunch of eggs for me at the beginning of the week, and keep them in a bowl in the fridge. Then I have super-protein at hand, easily. Quick, no fuss, and they stay good for a while.

-If my husband is cooking, I'll ask him to throw a couple of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the oven or on the stove to cook, too. Then just slice that up and keep it in ziplocs int he fridge--easy to snack on, toss in salads, etc.

- I buy those bags of prewashed "super greens" (really just lettuce and baby kale) like they're going out of style, and keep those on hand for super quick salads and smoothies. Bags of frozen fruit for smoothies, too. I got myself a Nutribullet little blender-thing. I feel silly owning something like it, but it's WAY easier to clean and deal with than a blender.

And finally, please don't beat yourself up. Your body is trying to heal and you're doing the best you can to help. If you only have Ensure one day, great--at least there's some nutrients there. And if you can deal with eating more than that, great. This MS stuff is the worst, and the last thing we need to do is make ourselves feel like we "should" be doing something better.

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you all for your great ideas! There are definitely some choices I can implement with my next shopping I also thought Stakist tuna pouches might also be a good source of quick protein.

Comment

As with you Canary54, I used to cook for my husband, myself, 6 kids and many "strays" (kids' friends) and loved it, plus loved cooking new recipes. Now the "kids" are 22, 23, 25, 27, 29 and 31 (my kids are the 3 oldest, husbands' kids are the 3 youngest). We both had sole custody of our kids so the house was always full. Now, the 2 oldest live on their own and the other 4 are either in school and working or out at dinner time having a life.

Sometimes I have swallowing issues so I keep some Boost or Ensure to accommodate these inconveniences. The other thing I keep on hand is protein powder to add to these drinks or with juice/milk, sprinkling it on cereal, toast and sandwiches. As others have suggested, making extra food to freeze is a great help or trying to have a "cooking day" and make chicken, lasagna, chille just for the freezer in individual portions.

I wish you the best of luck, food is the easiest way to help your body and eating is one of my most favourite things to do!

Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
              X