Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
    I saw this Commercial last night.

What it did not show the uninformed is her wall surfing, using a cane or rollater. It did not show her struggles making meals or trying to shower. It did not show her self-cathing or buying Depends at Target. Nor did it show her need for relying on public transportation because ON has taken over. Or the struggle to get on Medicaid or SSDI. It did not show how a typical flare is for an MSer.

If I did not have MS, the commercial would have made me say, MS is not really that bad. Hey...maybe MS isnt that bad after all.
    I agree with Katie on this. This is not a life with MS as I know it. It is for marketing purposes for their drug. I don't think this will help fundraising for MS, as Katie said the general public will say that life with MS is not bad at all, my donations will be better put to a disease that really needs to find a cure.

I really wish that all of us with MS could continue to live our lives as the commercial depicted but sadly that is not the reality for many of us.

Comment

I saw the commercial this morning and it made me angry. I have been on tec for two years and believe me, I can not function like this girl. I can barley walk even with assistance. We need to raise money for research and I don't see this commercial helping, it is just to promote tec.
      God Bless Us All

Comment

What it did not show the uninformed is her wall surfing, using a cane or rollater. It did not show her struggles making meals or trying to shower. It did not show her self-cathing or buying Depends at Target. Nor did it show her need for relying on public transportation because ON has taken over. Or the struggle to get on Medicaid or SSDI. It did not show how a typical flare is for an MSer.

If I did not have MS, the commercial would have made me say, MS is not really that bad. Hey...maybe MS isnt that bad after all.
        Exactly. The commercial just kind of ticks me off :/

But it's a start
        Dx 11/09
        Aubagio since 09/15

Comment

While some people might be happy that the Tecfidera commercial "promotes MS awareness," the purpose for the ads doesn't have anything to do with that. The ads' only purpose is to "promote Tecfidera awareness" and try to reassure stockholders.

The national ad campaign is Biogen's somewhat panicked reaction to disappointing sales of Tecfidera -- including dropouts -- that are holding down Biogen's stock prices.

There's no other reason for a company to spend HUGE amounts of money on national prime-time TV ads for a small target audience of MS patients that's no larger than the population of ONE large US city.

Comment

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
            While some people might be happy that the Tecfidera commercial "promotes MS awareness," the purpose for the ads doesn't have anything to do with that. The ads' only purpose is to "promote Tecfidera awareness" and try to reassure stockholders.

The national ad campaign is Biogen's somewhat panicked reaction to disappointing sales of Tecfidera -- including dropouts -- that are holding down Biogen's stock prices.

There's no other reason for a company to spend HUGE amounts of money on national prime-time TV ads for a small target audience of MS patients that's no larger than the population of ONE large US city.

Exactly!

http://www.fiercepharmamarketing.com...ays/2015-09-16

http://www.fiercepharma.com/story/bi...nfe/2015-08-07

http://www.fiercepharma.com/story/bi...ags/2015-04-24
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

The commercials purpose is to benefit the company, maybe to benefit the bottom line! But we are talking about getting some exposure for MS. The basic point of this is any exposure is good exposure ! Thank you all for posting !

Comment

Three people I work with mentioned that they saw this commercial for Tecfidera last week and they all said "Yikes.....why would anyone take that medication with those potential risks/side effects?" My feelings exactly, but I explained that if MS affected your lifestyle/abilities to a great degree, that the potential benefits could outweigh the risks. I'm secondary progress and JCV+, but my neuro still wanted me to consider Tecfidera. I said no.

Comment

Originally posted by mercadies25 View Post
                  My thoughts exactly!!!!!
                  Me too! First thing that came to mind when I saw it - They make MS seem fun! Kind of like the ads from way back where they made having your period seem like a party!

Comment

That was exactly what I was thinking. I feel like people need to see someone who is struggling to walk or put your pants on. Someone holding onto the wall so they don't lose their balance. Seeing this healthy looking specimen diving and swimming people must think, how bad can it be?

Comment

Commercial

I saw this commercial with my 11 year old son standing near by. OMG, when we heard the possible risk factors; especially the brain infection that may lead to death (or something like that); he freaked.
                      I assured him that I wasn't taking this medication and not to worry.

**By the way; I am usually that one person that has that weird reaction to a medicine, plant, soap or whatever**

Motor's Mommy
                      Mommy to 3 loud boys and a lot of furry children.
                      R/R MS 13+ years ???, Fibro for many years, Plus many other conditions that I cant think of right now because of my cog fog and extreme pain!! forgive me.
                      Rebif, Gaba,Topamax, Tramadol, Bacl, Pris, Nexium, Vit D +++++

Comment

Saw this for te 1st time last night

I must say I am with group who just gets ticked of at this type of exposure. It makes MS seem like no big deal. Just take this magic pill and you'll be perfectly normal. i know there are MSers who do live fairly normal lives, but my family and I live with the ugly side of MS. the side where you don't know from one day to the next if you will merely stumble around through that day with, perhaps a closer encounter with the floor than that pretty young actress in the ad has ever had, or if you'll wind up in the hospital with a flare up that leaves you unable to even turn over without help. The side with muscle spasms so bad you feel like just cutting off the offending limb(s) and being done with it. The side where you have to ask for help in a public restroom from a total stranger because it's not a family restroom and the only person with you is your DH. Either that or you soak your adult diaper because you just can't make it to the handicap stall which is ALWAYS the last one in the room. Do I sound bitter? Well, maybe I am. It's just that MS has taken away so many of the things I used to love to do, and I feel that things like this ad trivializes the struggles that many of us go through.

Comment

Hahaha!

Commercials are good for one thing...selling stuff (I majored "Marketing" so I know these things)!

I was not even close to being that fit and energetic as that young lady in the commercial even before MS! I myself took Tecfidera and had just about every side-effect besides death (and some they refuse to cop to...like hair loss)!

The reality of M.S. is not sexy and would not sell much Tecfidera (picture that woman running around with chunks of hair missing!). I remain hopeful for future PSAs regarding the disease itself, but until then, pharmacutical companies have the right to peddle their wares just like any other company that has the deep pockets to do so.
                          Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                            Commercials are good for one thing...selling stuff (I majored "Marketing" so I know these things)!

I was not even close to being that fit and energetic as that young lady in the commercial even before MS! I myself took Tecfidera and had just about every side-effect besides death (and some they refuse to cop to...like hair loss)!

The reality of M.S. is not sexy and would not sell much Tecfidera (picture that woman running around with chunks of hair missing!). I remain hopeful for future PSAs regarding the disease itself, but until then, pharmacutical companies have the right to peddle their wares just like any other company that has the deep pockets to do so.
                            Hey Tawanda...good to see you on here...I won't hijack this thread but would be interested in your Tec journey on another thread...sounds like you had it tough.

I'm not much of a commercial watcher (husband controls the remote and he's evidently allergic to commercials so we have to change channels during commercial breaks )

But I saw the threads on here about it. This morning the lady who's been cleaning my house every couple of weeks for the last 7 years (she is also a friend of 25 years) toldme she had seen the commercial. She said "What kind of MS do the folks in that commercial have?". She explained she had heard something about repeating MS, so I guess it mentions RRMS in the commercial. I told her I was RRMS until a couple years ago. Then she commented on the fact she's never seen me in that condition. She wondered if that med caused a RRMS patient to regain their health. I told her what the DMDs were meant to do. She's an intelligent savvy lady and the commercial "fooled" her into thinking you could get your health back if you took the med. But I agree with what others have said, the commercials aren't about convincing MSers to take it...it's more about name recognition of the drug. A similar ad that I have seen is for people that are totally blind...it helps them even out sleep patterns. Ask yourself...how many blind people are watching that commercial? Obviously it's not being shown to target blind people...it's just marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
                              Hey Tawanda...good to see you on here...I won't hijack this thread but would be interested in your Tec journey on another thread...sounds like you had it tough.

I'm not much of a commercial watcher (husband controls the remote and he's evidently allergic to commercials so we have to change channels during commercial breaks )

But I saw the threads on here about it. This morning the lady who's been cleaning my house every couple of weeks for the last 7 years (she is also a friend of 25 years) toldme she had seen the commercial. She said "What kind of MS do the folks in that commercial have?". She explained she had heard something about repeating MS, so I guess it mentions RRMS in the commercial. I told her I was RRMS until a couple years ago. Then she commented on the fact she's never seen me in that condition. She wondered if that med caused a RRMS patient to regain their health. I told her what the DMDs were meant to do. She's an intelligent savvy lady and the commercial "fooled" her into thinking you could get your health back if you took the med. But I agree with what others have said, the commercials aren't about convincing MSers to take it...it's more about name recognition of the drug. A similar ad that I have seen is for people that are totally blind...it helps them even out sleep patterns. Ask yourself...how many blind people are watching that commercial? Obviously it's not being shown to target blind people...it's just marketing.
                              I almost prefer the days when Pharmacuticals could not advertise and cigarettes could! Well, maybe not, but these commercials are downright silly. My friend is taking care f her mother with Alzheimer's. I asked her about those new "promising drugs" for Alzheimer's I have seen being advertised, she just rolled her eyes and said something to the effect that these drugs are like bringing a knife to a gun fight (hmmmm...doesn't that sound familiar?)! My daughter saw the Tecfidera commercial (and true, it is the first time she ever saw ANYTHING at all about M.S. on television) and said, "there's Mommy!" Haha...I wish! I want what she's having! Oops...I already did (and it wasn't near as pretty as that well-produced commercial is leading our friends and family to believe!).

I did a lot of posting on the Tecfidera thread about a year ago now, but please feel free to email me at my email address posted on my profile, rdmc.
                              Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by PattiHNC View Post
                                I must say I am with group who just gets ticked of at this type of exposure. It makes MS seem like no big deal. Just take this magic pill and you'll be perfectly normal. i know there are MSers who do live fairly normal lives, but my family and I live with the ugly side of MS. the side where you don't know from one day to the next if you will merely stumble around through that day with, perhaps a closer encounter with the floor than that pretty young actress in the ad has ever had, or if you'll wind up in the hospital with a flare up that leaves you unable to even turn over without help. The side with muscle spasms so bad you feel like just cutting off the offending limb(s) and being done with it. The side where you have to ask for help in a public restroom from a total stranger because it's not a family restroom and the only person with you is your DH. Either that or you soak your adult diaper because you just can't make it to the handicap stall which is ALWAYS the last one in the room. Do I sound bitter? Well, maybe I am. It's just that MS has taken away so many of the things I used to love to do, and I feel that things like this ad trivializes the struggles that many of us go through.
                                Same here...when my husband and I saw this commercial, I told him that does not present the side of MS most of us have and deal with. I can only wish.

Comment

Working...
                                X