Seeking Advice, Suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking Advice, Suggestions...

I've struggled with an exercise routine that does not induce neuropathic pain and paralysis in my arms. I've been through several attempts with little success. Exercise that does not involve even passive repetative arm movements eliminates quite a few exercises.

In July I purchased a Townie style bike, with high handle bars, I adjusted the seat to the lowest position to eliminate body weight on my arms. I took it out for two 30 minute rides and had no problems with arm function or pain. It was exhilarating to be on a bike again. I don't want exagerate, but I was euphoric. I was transformed for those two, 30 min bike rides.

The only problem I had was my legs turned to 'jello'. I could not support myself. I could only use the bike for support to avoid falling on the bike path, not the ideal means of support. My daughter was with me both times, and helped me back to the car safely.

Since then, the bike has been sitting idle. My daughter is now back in school and working, her free time is at a premium. The next 6-7 months of rainy winter weather is looming.

I'm undecided if I should attempt biking on my own. Should I
    risk throwing 'good money after bad' and buy a bike rack for the car ride to the bike path? I know 'loading' the bike on the rack will be a struggle, but I'm fairly resourseful when it comes to improvising. Invest in winter biking apparel? I'm particularly sensative to heat and cold, so I'm not sure how compatible winter biking will be for me.

I've considered posting the bike for sale, but I just can't get myself to abandon the thrill of biking again. I have an indoor stationary bike, but it is just not even close to the same experience for me. I had increase in 'trunk'/torso sx that I attribute to the possition of the seat and the pedals being nearly parallel, versus vertical body position on a traditional bike.

At this point in life, a broken bone or three seems well worth the risk for the thrill of riding again.

Anyone else bike ride with 'jello legs' who can share experiences or offer suggestions?

Hi MSW. I just gave my bike away last week, and I'm still in mourning. I truly understand what you're saying about what a wonderful activity riding is. One thing that I keep looking at is an adult trike. I know, it's hard to accept and get over how stupid you'd look on it, but please think about it. In my case, I also don't have enough leg strength to make it up hills, so I've been looking at some that have small electric motors that can help you out. You can still pedal as much as you want, but the motor's there to give you a little extra push when you need it.

I don't know how much of a factor cost is for you, but just Google 'electric trike' and you will see a wide variety of them.
    PPMS
    Dx 07/13

Comment

Snoopy and I have a stationary peddler that lives on the floor. I can't walk very well after using it once a month, but since I'm already sitting it's not a problem. This will shift your angle backwards rather than vertical or forwards, but maybe you can make some adjustments to change that. The scenery is the window or hulu.

Comment

Cost is a consideration...

J-Bo, so sorry to hear it was necessary for you to give your bike away, a loss I understand completely. Same here with leg strength and weakness up-hill or the slightest incline on the bike path.

The bike rack and winter bike apparel is expensive for me, not an expense I can disregard if bike riding doesn't work out for me. I will have to cut back on even small luxuries, only to regret the expense if my bike doesn't work out.

Have you taken a test drive on one yet? I'm intrigued with the idea of an electric trike as an alternative. Thanks so much for the suggestion. I'll get back with you after I do a bit of google searching.

Thanks again

Comment

dyin_myelin, I may have to adjust the stationary bike for a more vertical body position, although the adjustments will not provide the vertical position that my Townie bike provides. Then there's the abence of the thrill of outdoor biking versus an indoor stationary bike even if I achieve my optiomal body position to avoid the trunk/torso sx.

I do a lot of reading with hand held devices, so that could be the perfect distraction for the stationary bike. I'm going to give it a few trial runs and let you know how it works out.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Comment

MSW I have the same problem, hate stationary bikes, loves down hill on my bike, I almost ride like a normal person when coasting and the uphill gives me the exercise. My biking is like a science project, I have 100% atrophied hip, knee and dorsal flexor muscles on one leg. I can only get on the bike (mountain bike) on a gentle down hill slope and only by tilting the bike, my one leg has to be and stay in the basket etc etc, but I am still biking.

To your question, I have a route with few cars but it is a ways from where I live so I have my bike permanently at somebody's house that lives on "my route". So i drive to the bike I don't bring the bike which would be too much for me. I fall, trip and have whew that was close moments fairly regularly, but it is worth it. The biking has kept me in shape for the last ten years like this and I get to be outdoors so no depression here. I always bike with my cell phone, just in case.

Comment

there, your post gives me a lot of hope that my reasoning regarding bike riding is not totally irrational. Or even if a bit irrational, it's doable.

A lot of 'jumping through burning hoops', figuratively speaking, for you to just get on your bike, but the rewards pay off in spades in so many ways.

I know my bike riding style is not exactly the 'look' I'm going for, I even considered the possibility that I embarassed my daughter when we rode together, but the mental and physical improvements are motivating me.

I'm very encouraged by your post. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

Comment

MSW: I am so sorry you are thinking about giving up your bike. I had to give up my single bike and now I ride a tandem bike. I of course am in the back. If you could find a good friend you could find a good tandem online because people get rid of them for various reasons. That way you can still ride. My arms have trouble too. Half the time I only use one and since I don't have to brake or anything I can use the top bar. I don't know if it will sit the way you need though.

Best of luck. Oh, you can get an adapter to use your bike indoors as a stationary bike (trainer). I have my single bike in a trainer. It is nice to still have it.

PS Buy your cold weather gear from performance bike, it is less expensive but still good, unlike a bike shop. I personally wear my warm workout pants under my bike shorts and a long underwear shirt and a fleece when riding in the fall outside.

Take care
                Lisa
                Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                Tysabri

Comment

Keep biking

I think it is great that you are biking and to everyone, who cares what you look like. You are out there doing it! That is more than a lot of people, even those that don't have a chronic disease.

Also, don't be quick to get rid of the bike. I went through some tough times....I could barely walk down the street or even around the block. It would exhaust me. I thought I would never get to bike again, ever.

But, the past week I did a milestone...a total of 30 miles over three days with friends and then my daughter. There was a time I never thought I would ride (or that I would be riding in a wheelchair). I haven't yet gotten the courage to do the technical stuff (rocks, water bars, etc) as I don't want to be injured, but for over 50 and with MS I am pretty pleased. If someday I need a trike, I will get one.

Biking, fresh air, sun shine....may not cure MS but it sure helps my soul! Happy trails...

Comment

J-Bo, I found a few websites for Adult Trikes and E-bikes, with a small selection in my price range. For now I'm going to hold on to the Townie, maybe shop prices before I make that decision. It's good to know if this bike doesn't work out, all is not lost and there's a possible alternative. I can't imagine how dissappointed you must be, giving up your bike. But an e-bike or adult trike both appear to be very appealing alternatives. I also really like the gear at Performance Bikes. Staying dry and warm is high on my list of necessities. Thanks again for the suggestions.

there, I can't tell you how much your determination and spirit have inspired me. Many thanks for your inspiration.

22cyclist, so happy for you that the tandem bike is working out. It may not be the same as the single bike riding experience, but it sounds like a very reasonable alternative. I used my daughter's traditional mountain bike with a trainer last year?, but supporting body weight on my arms isn't an option for me. Mountain style bikes don't work out as well as the 10 speed Towney style bike that allows for a more vertical body position and minimal weight on my arms. Wish I had a good tandem biking partner : (

MyGirlsMom, thanks for the positive reinforcements. Just when I think I've conquered the vain, shallow, formerly healthy version of myself, I seem to 'kick myself to the curve'. But I'm realistic and usually recover pretty quickly. Congrats on reaching your milestone! Thanks again and happy trails!

Comment

Working...
                    X