Well it happened I'm out of luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it happened I'm out of luck

I got up from the commode yesterday and I couldn't handle the two or three steps to my scooter my legs gave out and I fell and broke my ankle.

Called 911, went to ER, have a hairline fracture of my fibula, badly twisted ankle and knee, told them I have MS and it was probably a flareup and they sent me home. They said I can't be admitted. They basically said it's my problem. I told them I can't stand I can't walk I can't use my legs. So they had an ambulance bring me home, give me a bed pan which I could not use. I'm lying here on incontinence pad and I guess I'm going to have to pee and poop all over myself.

I asked them if they could take blood work for me before I leave and they refused. I told them I cannot stand. I cannot walk. I cannot use my legs. So they sent me home to lie in filth.

I cannot rollover in bed because of my cast, I cannot use a bedpan. They are setting me up with whom PT and OT tomorrow or today and I told them that I have to go to the doctor & how am I going to do it. I cannot stand. The PT supervisors spoke with me and she did not take it that I cannot use my legs I cannot stand.

She said they would show me how to safely get in the vehicle. Ok, I'm lying here in bed on an incintinence pad that is wet because I cannot move for it to be changed. How will I even put in clothes? I cannot roll over to use the bedpan because of my leg in a cast.

They just sent me home to get rid of me, MS? Not their problem.
    ---------------
    "It's never crowded along the extra mile." --Dr. Wayne Dyer

Hi Rocky's Mom,

Sorry to hear about your fall and broken ankle.

The ER aren't ever much help...I was surprised they cast your foot. Our ERs quit setting bones and just confirm the break then tell you to see an ortho doc.

As to your dilemma, call your GP or your neuro. Tell them the predicament you're in and see what they suggest.

Maybe they'll send out some Home Health Care nurses, along with the PT and OT.

Or maybe they'll think you need to be in a rehab for awhile.

Do you have any family or friends in the area that can come help you out?

Comment

I'm sorry RockysMom...you certainly have had your fair share of bad stuff lately.

I don't have any words of wisdom because I don't know much about civilian health care since I am military but just want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

It is now 10 pm where I live.

2. PERSONAL INFORMATION: Do not post/exchange your personal information (i.e. e-mail address, phone number, or home address, etc.) in the main chat room or in the message boards. Your email address may be placed in your profile at your own risk. If you decide to share this information with another person in chat, this is not allowed in the main chat room; this is only allowed in auxiliary rooms such as the Annex, again, at your own risk. To access your Member Profile, please go to the Message Boards and then click on User CP on the top left of the page.

Comment

Oh, Rockys mom, I'm so sorry! So so sorry that this barbaric thing happened to you. Where is our civilization? This should not be happening.

The only thing I could suggest would be to call a social services hotline. In our city it's 211. Call everyone and everything on your cell phone until you get someone to "get it".

I'm fed up with the changes in health care. It's just been one big loss over another.

Comment

This is one of the most applauding things I've read on here. Hold it for as long as you can, dial 911, say you're having a heart attack and are a danger to self and others, and cut loose in the ambulance.

Comment

Hey Palmtree - if we didn't have this new healthcare law, I wouldn't even have health insurance right now.

So my husband called the home healthcare nurse first thing in the morning and she said for us to call 911 take me back to ER. So my husband called 911 again and the EMTs came back but they didn't want to take me to the hospital because it was too difficult to get the gurney in the house. But they said they could change my pad which they did. Then they left

Then my husband got really worked up and he called the home healthcare nurse back and told her that they would not take me to the hospital and she said that they should take me and I should be at made it and so she had him call them back again so they did come and take me back to the hospital again.

After hours and hours of flying in ER, I did get it made it and I'm writing this from my room now. I just had an MRI and I will also have the blood tests required by tie Sabri before taking that drug so I can get started on that. I will also have blood work that my regular doctor had requested some time back which I was never able to get to the lab to do because it requires fasting. Being a hypoglycemic and having MS, there was no way I was going to be able to leave the house without having eaten something. So now I will have all of this done while I'm here. And hopefully I might even get my first infusion? I don't know how long it takes for that tighter to be one.

So I've also used to bedpan and I'm getting used to that as I had never done it before and there is no way that I would've been able to do this at home with just my husbands help as neither one of us know what the heck we were doing.but it's okay now.

So I've learned that what I have to do is just keep requesting things over and over and over and then I will get them.
              ---------------

Comment

I am so, so sorry RockysMom. It is so awful what you have to go through just to get some help. Praying for you.
                Seattle, WA
                Dx 05/14/10, age 55, RRMS, Now PPMS
                Avonex 5/10-9/11; Copaxone 20, 9/11-4/13; Tecfidera 4/13-7/15; Copaxone 40, 9/15 -present

Comment

Good for you! You made it to the hospital. I'd give a great big round of applause to Rockysmom!

I hope your ankle heals ASAP.

Comment

Thanks I will. You wouldn't believe the red tape that I have been dealing with it I have to go through again with each shift change. But at least I got the test for tie Sabri and the hospital doctor said that I got the test for mad cow virus. That should give you an idea of what I'm dealing with. I have to go to a skilled nursing facility after this I'll be here a few more days. Then to the nursing facility and then home finally.
                    ---------------

Comment

Hi,

It sounds like you finally got a bit of resolution since you mentioned a nursing facility for some care. Your story reminds me a bit of my partner's experience, but we had a great care team advocating for her, while you seem to have a bit more of a nightmare scenario. While my partner didn't get the best care locally, we did immediately work with a social worker through her primary care doctor's clinic, who recognized how her mobility troubles and falling were putting her in a position where she could not safely navigate the home or do major things like safely access the bathroom. Spasticity in her legs made almost everything impossible because her body became so rigid and unmovable.

Anyway, social work/hospital case managers seemed to be the ones who tied us in with home health care (PT, OT, and home nurses to obtain urine/blood, do exams, etc.). She's on Medicare so most services were covered. I also don't know about where you live, but we are in MA, and social work advised for over 30 hours of additional in-home assistance, which was covered through a local social service agency. Not sure if any of this helps. She was in a nursing facility for a bit too, but this can be costly and often has limits on time even before you feel ready to be released. We had to tap all of the above services and help from family to deal with the sudden crisis.

Also, when she couldn't get to the bathroom quickly enough due to mobility, I found her super absorbent diapers to help. It saved her on risky overnight trips to the bathroom. The diapers I found have NASA technology to ensure you can empty a whole bladder into them without leaks and with plenty of absorption. They are a little more expensive and we had to order through a medical supply company, but it helped with safety and avoided a lot of mess/clean-up/laundry, not to mention discomfort and embarrassment. She only needed them until she got better.

Here's what we bought - Abena Abri-Form Premium Brief. Hope your ankle improves soon.
                      Caregiver. Partner underwent HSCT (Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation) for RRMS at Northwestern University Feinberg SOM - off all DMDs, reversed much of her physical disability. Check out my profile for more info!

Comment

Hi RockysMom,

I'm so sorry you fell and broke your ankle! I'm glad you are finally being cared for, but sorry you had to go through all that! What a nightmare.

Originally posted by RockysMom View Post
                        But at least I got the test for tie Sabri and the hospital doctor said that I got the test for mad cow virus.
                        That's great you had the test, but couldn't help but laugh at that one.

Anyways, best wishes on your recovery.
                        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

You are in my prayers Rock's. mom!

Comment

I am completely appalled at the way the hospital treated you. They did the same thing to me back last October, but I wasn't as bad off as you. I was just weak and my legs were collapsing, I didn't break anything.

Since then I've decided that if something like that happens again I am going to raise a stink and demand the hospital administrator if they try to discharge me when I KNOW I shouldn't be let go.

Comment

Try calling the ms society for help.

Comment

Working...
                              X