No announcement yet.

Hip Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you everyone for your suggestions & some possible remedies. I'll see my primary doc in late April and I'll report back after I hear what he has to say.

Comment

Thank God!!

Got my MRI results today and it turns out to be a hematoma...that should heal itself!!
      gail

Comment

YAAAAYY!!!

No go and relax..better health and happiness!

Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Well, I thank everyone for their suggestions, etc.

I saw the primary care doc in the beginning of June. He recommended an x-ray of the hip. Long story short, I saw an orthopedic surgeon a few days later for the x-ray of the hip. He then wanted me to have an MRI, as he wanted to see a bit more, so I had the MRI. Today I saw the ortho surgeon to review the MRI results, and unfortunately I'm going to need a hip replacement on the right leg. The hip is badly damaged. No PT will really ease the pain, nor will ibuprofen, etc. I've tried that and it doesn't ease the pain at all. My left hip is in good shape thank goodness.

I talked to my neuro in regard to this as I am so worried about the fact that I have MS, and need an operation. He said my risk is a little higher than someone who is perfectly healthy. My symptoms from MS are drop foot, on the same leg for the hip operation.

If anyone has had this operation, how did you do.

I will be scheduling this for late August, early September.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Best of luck with the operation. Everyone I know who has had a hip replacement has been glad they did.

I had a bad experience with a young and clueless resident when I had an August surgery. They promote in July and since then, I swore that I would never do that again if I had any control over the timing. It didn't help that I was undiagnosed and that I woke up in a flare.

They know you have ms and will probably be extra careful. Still, I am never having surgery in August again if I can help it.

Comment

Sorry to hear that you need surgery. I've had other surgeries with MS, we always discuss positioning during the surgery, and have discussed adding steroids with the anesthesia, which I didn't do. I figured I could always have steroids after if I needed them.

Just saw my one neighbor walking her dogs, she had hip replacement and is doing great. When I talked to her about a year ago she was still recovering. Nice to see her doing so well.

If this will alleviate chronic pain, that will be a wonderful thing. I have been having chronic pain issues and it is really wearing on me.

Best of luck with your surgery. it is truly amazing what can be done these days!

Comment

Thank you Pipes!! Sorry your operation didn't go so well.

Comment

Whatever the cause, it is possible that PT (physical therapy) may be a solution. A PT can give exercises that can help to strengthen the hip. Perhaps that could help the pain to go away.

Your primary care physician could give a referral to a PT.

~ Faith
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions.

Unfortunately, the pain is really not good. The PT may possibly strengthen some muscles, since the Femur and hip socket is bone on bone; MRI showed most likely early stage osteonecrosis and not osteoarthritis.

I'm just going to try and think positive, and hopefully come through the surgery without major complications. I have drop foot or foot drop on the same side as the bad hip, and that will also create problems after surgery as far as getting back up and around, but I'll give it my best shot.

Thanks again folks.

Comment

Melody,

While it was not a major surgery, like yours will be, I did have a hysterectomy and did quite well afterwards. I suffered NO MS flares. I hope this helps you some

Hoping that your surgery is a success and that you heal completely and quickly.

HUGS
                      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Fishead, thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

Working...
                        X