Hip Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hip Question

I have been experiencing pain in the groin and hip area for quite a while. I'm not sure if it's from my gait being off, or if it could be the start of osteoarthritis in the hip. I don't feel pain when I'm sitting, it's when I walk, climb steps, etc. When I mentioned the groin pain to the Neuro, he said it could have something to do with my hip, and be unrelated to MS. I guess it's time to see my primary care Doc, who will probably order x-rays to see exactly what is causing the pain.

Has anybody had hip replacement surgery? If yes, is the recovery period for a person with MS more difficult, and is surgery in general more complicated with MS? I have heard surgery is not a good thing for folks with MS.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I started with groin pain almost a year ago. Had xrays.. no problem. I do have osteoporosis and osteoarthritis and tendinitis in the hip/groin/leg area. Don't think this has anything to do with the MS.

I just saw the rheumy yesterday and the MRI did not show anything disturbing. By the way I am 63. So, just take more Neurontin... daily.. regularly and see what happens. He is ordering another MRI because there was something funky with the marrow in one leg. But, it is probably just an aging issue.

Anyway, all this pain has been almost constant for nearly a year now. What fun. See about a MRI. It might put your mind at ease or help to find the issue that needs attention.

Let us know.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Marti, thanks so much for the info. Coincidentally, I'm the same age, and thought it might be age related as well. I'll see if the Doc will prescribe medication and an MRI in the meantime, and post when I get to the bottom of what is causing the pain. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Melody,

The first thing your pcp will do is order x-rays. It may just be age related arthritis, which may be aggravated further by how you are walking because of the MS. Depending on what shows up on your x-ray, you may only be given a prescription strength NSAID, and maybe one for physical therapy as well. Hopefully, that will help enough that you won't ever need any further intervention. My mom, who's had osteoarthitis since her thirties, swears taking the supplement MSM has helped with hers.

The recovery period for someone who has MS can be both harder and longer than someone who doesn't have MS because of any weakness you may have prior to the surgery. That will affect how you well you do with rehab afterwards. I didn't have hip replacement surgery, but did need surgery to repair a broken hip. It has not been an easy injury for me to overcome. But, it didn't help that I was already in a weakened state when I broke it because of some prior relapses and serious infections that I had that year. So, I started off on the down side.

Surgery itself is no more complicated in someone with MS than someone without it, but recovery would be more complicated if you happened to have a major relapse afterward. I have had several surgeries, and had a relapse after two of them. But many people with MS have surgeries and don't have a relapse afterward.

I hope your doctor has some answers for you. Please let us know what you find out.

Best wishes ,
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Many causes

I have hip issues, but, it is bursitis. Most likely from being overweight.

There is many things that can cause it (tendoniits, aging, your gait, etc.)

Hip surgery most likely is a very far way off. Suppliments such as glucosamine and condritin(SP?). Prescription anti inflammatories, pt, injections, massage, accupuncuture.

Kimba had a good post about recovery with MS and surgery.

Very good to explore other causes then just MS.

Being in the pool and getting my wt off the hip does wonders.
          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Thanks everyone for your information and tips. I am probably jumping the gun, and thinking I'll need surgery. Like you all say, other solutions would most likely be tried before any surgery. I will update everyone when I have the x-ray and find out what is wrong. I'm more inclined to think that much of my pain is from my gait being off, but I have a tendency to over-react and imagine the worse. Thanks again everyone!!

Comment

I've had a lot of hip pain, some groin pain (I have had many pulled groin episodes over the years), plus knee pain. My runners knee causes the other pain because it involved the tendon running between the knee and hip.
              Funny how I can also get sciatic pain and groin pain probably all related.

Good advise above. I started taking some Glucosamine HL Chondroitin Sulfate tabs and it has really helped me reduce my Aleve use.

I think part of my trouble is spasticity in that right leg making it impossible to get those muscles to relax at all.
              Going to start getting massages again which I highly recommend.

I have been wearing my tens unit at night around the right hip area. Have it set for 30 minutes, if I wake up with pain I'll hit it again for another 30 minutes. My tens unit is my best friend.

I'm at the age where several of my friends and neighbors have had knee replacements. I have two friends who have had hip replacement, and since these were last year the jury is still out as far as their recovery and satisfaction. Also have one friend who had an ankle replacement up in Canada, he is very pleased. Out of my knee replacement "friends", one is very satisfied, two are not, their expectations were higher than their current ability to function as they hoped for.

I'm rambling....just wanted to chime in and wish you the best in getting your hip calmed down.

Comment

Justsayyes--Thanks for the info and more great ideas.

Comment

anybody experience swelling?

I also experience hip pain and shortly after joining the gym I noticed the muscle near the top of my leg groin area swelling...I showed my doctor and he said to give it 4-6 weeks to repair itself and anti inflammatory pills..has anyone else experienced swelling??
                  gail

Comment

I had a new groin type of pain, it feels like the muscles are somewhat stiff in the upper inside of the thigh. Knowing I was not injured..etc. I felt the muscles needed stretched more and exercise.

Was walking up to almost 1/2 mile and the pain seemed to get a little worse and the right leg weak to weaker. Then I tripped over my own foot and everything hurts.

The x-rays, show a tiny spur on the outer part of the trochanter. that was about it. Doc figures it is MS and not to worry. I saw the doc today.

Good luck,
                    fed

Comment

Don't jump to hip replacement just yet (and don't have a surgeon evaluate your hip. Go to your GP. Generally, if it hurts when you first wake up, it's osteo- or wear and tear arthritis. You can take ibuprofen for that sort of thing, but to your ability, if you can exercise on a bike or elliptical, you will feel better. Exercise helps greatly.

Additionally, you may have a tight IT band from sitting. Have your doctor do what's called an "ober's test", which will determine if you have tight IT bands, which can give pain. It needs to be ruled out first, since it's the easiest to treat (you use a foam roller).

keep us posted.

Comment

I don't access the boards often, but thanks everyone for your responses.

BigA I have an elliptical that you can use from a sitting position. It's one of those things I bought, used for a while and got bored. I think I'll try that again along with my stretches, etc., and see if I feel a little better by the time I see my PCP next month. Thanks!

Comment

I get a knot in my left groin area and lower left side of my back. Every two weeks my PCP who is also DO, does soft tissue manipulation and straightens my hips out too. He subscribed me PT, which helps a bit. But I develop the same knots after two weeks. PCP says it's my gait.

Comment

Thanks...

Thanks for easing my mind a little....seeing my primary on Wednesday...ill keep u posted!!
                            gail

Comment

Sorry you are going through all this. I wouldn't jump the gun either.

I had hip/groin pain most of last year. I thought it was more spasiticity. Then learned my Cholesterol med was causing my live enzymes to rise too high. So does was cut in half. I was on a high dose and it did bring my cholesterol down. But one of the side effects were muscle spasms. My primary said well lets get you off of this to see if its the Cholesterol med or your spasticity.

Turns out it must have been the Chol med as I no longer have it. AND I am stretching and exercising more.

I would ask your primary to see if PT could evaluate you and come up with a plan of treatment. They are good at knowing which is which and if treatment helps or not.

Feel better soon and let us know how you are doing.

Jan
                              I believe in miracles~!
                              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
                              X