Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm getting a service dog but i have a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fourteen years ago, we rescued a dog (not a service dog, just a pet) that soon got designated a "dangerous dog' in our county. Because we wanted to keep her, we increased fencing and wound up getting an "umbrella" insurance policy that increased our liability insurance a lot.

Perhaps your landlord would allow your service dog if you bought a personal extended liability policy like this. And his insurance company should have a keen understanding of how it works. Depending on your area, the cost is about $100-200 annually for every $1 million in coverage.

Good luck, and
    Stay lifted,
    Mermaid
    "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

I have to agree with Pipes: this could be a challenging situation, when it's possible to have this process and experience be totally positive!

It's not that these puppies don't deserve to be rescued--it just might be better for someone else to do that. There are thousands and thousands of dogs up for adoption right now that could be suitable candidates as service dogs, and many trainers who could help you select and train the best dog for you and your circumstances, without the additional stress of dealing with breed discrimination.

Comment

RE: Service Dog

This last year I was looking into training my own service dog, too. I talked with many people and one trainer, who had worked with several service dog organizations, made this remark to me: "If you need emergency assistance in any way, EMS personnel are going to be very hesitant to come near you with a dog that resembles any of the breeds marked as more aggressive."

This made a lot a sense to me and really opened my eyes. She also told me that the National MS Society will give you money toward a registered trained service dog from a reputable organization. All you have to do is contact them, and they will mail you information that they need from your doctor. They will also provide you will names of organizations.

I told this trainer that I felt there were so many people out there that needed dogs worse than me. She boldly stated: "We hear that all the time, and it is not the truth! You are the perfect candidate to apply now. You don't want to be so disabled that you can't care for the dog."

Another thing she told me is that if you already have ANY dog in your household, it is unlikely that any service dog organization will give you a service dog. They just won't put a service dog in a home with another dog already there." So that is something to consider, too, if you decide to try training your own and then the dog doesn't work out.

Being disabled is enough of a battle; the last thing you need is to have to fight for your dog, too, especially a dog that is related to the group of "aggressive" breeds. That is really something to think about. The legal ramifications that some folks have mentioned is just a small aspect of this whole issue.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Service dog

I have a service dog. I obtained my pedigree Lab from Canine Companions for Independence. Definitely check with A.D.A. Also register your certified service dog with I.A.A.C.P. international Association Of Assistant Canine Partners. They provide legal help for you for situations such as yours. Good luck My special trained canine is the best therapy I have ever received. Make sure your dog what ever breed he is has passed the certification and the both of you are a team.

Comment

A service dog does not do guard duty also. They need to be friendly and focus on their person and the job they are to do. Also, cannot discriminate or put out if the dog is registered as a service dog.

Comment

service dog - whatever

Why can't we just hire people? One for day, one for night. To me, "a 'service dog' would require more work for someone. Let inside/outside, dogs cannot be geniouses. I've never had one, but I would like someone to come and talk/read to me.

I guess that is what 'nursing homes' are for. But why can't I just hire someone to come in? If I was still capable, this is what I would b doing, maybe I'll still b able to do this one day

Comment

Originally posted by Marie12 View Post
                Why can't we just hire people? One for day, one for night. To me, "a 'service dog' would require more work for someone. Let inside/outside, dogs cannot be geniouses. I've never had one, but I would like someone to come and talk/read to me.

I guess that is what 'nursing homes' are for. But why can't I just hire someone to come in? If I was still capable, this is what I would b doing, maybe I'll still b able to do this one day
                You definitely can! Its called a home health aide, visiting nurse or whatever. There is also adult day care if you would enjoy the additional companionship and activities available.

If you just want companionship and don't need the health care component I bet there are many seniors who would love a few extra dollars for spending time as a companion for someone in need.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

my 2 cents

They can not discriminate.

But, they maybe able to charge you extra if their insurance costs go up.

Hope things are going well with this.

Good advice here.

Remember to let us know what happens.
                  God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Dog Update!

Sorry this took so long but after long and prayerful consideration I was able to rehome BriniLyn!! The daughter of my In Home Aide took her and she is doing amazing! They actually own a full bred Boxer & a full bred Pit so she fits in perfectly!!

Thanks for all the advice!!

Rhonda
                    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Dx 2004, Copx, Rebif, Ty Beta- I'm done!!

Comment

Working...
                    X